Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 19, 2024, 05:29:20 AM
712927 Posts in 53040 Topics by 7722 Members
Latest Member: GenevaBarr
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Information Exchange  |  Reader Comments  |  Cthulhu Mansion « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Cthulhu Mansion  (Read 38877 times)
bear@badmovies.org
« on: February 05, 1999, 05:21:30 PM »

Okay, okay, okay... why do they keep making <i>horrible</i> translations of H.P. Lovecraft films.  I must admit, though, that Brian Yunza usually does pretty well (he made Reanimator) as does Stuart Gordon (Castle Freak) and possibly soon to be making <A HREF="http://www.aint-it-cool-news.com/display.cgi?id=2377">The Shadow Over Innsmouth.</A>, although there are still rights issues with it.
whamontree@hotmail.com
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 1999, 01:43:00 PM »

This movie was directed by J.P. Simon, the Spanish equivalent of Fred Olen Ray who gave us such classics as Pod People and Pieces.  Somebody needs to quit giving him money to make more painful cinematic turds.
janus0fzeal@yahoo.com
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 1999, 08:39:42 AM »

Cthulhu Mansion.  REnted it thinking that Cthulhu would be in it, and be really nifty and eat everyone and kill lots of stuff.  I was worng.  they never even said 'Cthulhu'.  Man...  That is sad.  If your looking for a Lovecraft Tale...  Go somewhere else.
cwestfa1@twcny.rr.com
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 1999, 01:42:15 AM »

Did anyone notice Chandu. Bela Lugosi played a mystic/magician by the same name. Not only leaving out Lovecraft referances, with the exception of the Necronomicon, but actually dredging up old Lugosi movies
absinthe6669@hotmail.com
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2000, 10:34:51 AM »

If you're looking for a good Lovecraft movie... well you'd have better luck trying to find the Holy Grail. If you're looking for a movie to sit around and make fun of with a bunch of friends. This movie is ideal.
STPezatcha
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2000, 06:01:45 PM »

I saw this movie recently and reviewed it too...I'm deeply disturbed.  
Was Chris kicking the guy or is that
a really bad kicking scene? I swear, I saw better acting from the high school drama department.
ebolamonk@yahoo.com
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2000, 10:41:20 AM »

This movie was great for my crew, because the guy that gets the blood shower and the chick that gets eaten by the Cream-cheese Demon in the fridge look just like two people we know.  Other than that, ouch.  This movie hurt.  And I've seen it twice.  May Cthulhu have mercy on my soul (dramatic music)
jason hyde
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2000, 04:30:27 PM »

i hate to bring it up again, but, man, what kind of vengeful demon did frank finlay displease to end up in this disaster? finlay's a good actor with a gift for comedy, as demonstrated in richard lester's musketeer movies amongst other things, you'd think he'd know better.
this thing is unspeakably awful. not entertaining bad, just infuriating, 'i can't believe they got away with this' bad. watching for the goofs can only be enertaining for so long. naming the magician after the old radio character, played in movies by edmund lowe and bela lugosi, can only garner so many points. and advertising it as being 'from the imagination of h.p. lovecraft' is just plain evil. if there were a law, it would be against it. the only thing this movie has in common with cthulhu is that you should flee in abject terror when confronted with both.
Aaron
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2000, 12:05:55 PM »

Not even remotley close to any of Lovecraft's work...but the film is o.k. none-the-less. A gang of punks take a magician and his daughter hostage in their own home. They soon discover that an evil force inherits the house. O.k. story, and good effects, but mediocre acting, and slow at times. **1/2 out of *****.
Mr Bwing
« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2000, 04:43:48 AM »

I'm puzzled at peoples lack of appreciation of this film, its marvellously entertaining with an eerie, fobidding atmosphere to the house itself. The hoodlums terror as the place becomes 'alive' is superbly contrasted with their initial arrogance. Throughly enjoyable - check it!
« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2000, 12:36:46 PM »

I've come to the conclusion that good cinematic Lovecraft is impossible.  The Elder Gods forbid it.

The only good that's ever come out of Lovecraft screen adaptations is that one where Jeffrey Combs plays the big L himself...and only those scenes.  The rest of the movie (the Necronomicon, I believe?) was awful.  Jeffrey Combs is awesome.
Luis Fernando
« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2000, 09:42:59 AM »

I agree with almost everything you say in your web. Only a litle mistake: The guy walking after Chris was shot, isn't him. I know that very well, cause I did play Chris ten years ago, and never shot the scene passing by the guards. I don't mean gods will forgive me for that work, but I promise I've done better things since then (easy, ¿doesn't it?). I've had a very good time reading your funny opinions. I promise praying on my knees 10min. a day during next ten years. Sincerely "Chris".
MiKe
« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2003, 01:31:31 PM »

By the way... What happened to the Octopus-Head himself. Does he appear in the movie? No? Booo!
Paul Westbrook
« Reply #13 on: May 09, 2001, 10:25:11 AM »

Lovecrafts books are much better than films based on his work. This movie is the perfect example why. It made absolutely no sense whatsoever.
Juan
« Reply #14 on: November 25, 2006, 04:09:49 PM »

Cthulhu doesn't love you, really.
Isn't this movie proof enough? The Old Man of Providence is twisting on his grave, I'm positive.
Pages: [1] 2
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Information Exchange  |  Reader Comments  |  Cthulhu Mansion « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.