Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 19, 2024, 04:45:05 AM
712925 Posts in 53040 Topics by 7722 Members
Latest Member: GenevaBarr
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Information Exchange  |  Reader Comments  |  The Dunwich Horror « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3
Author Topic: The Dunwich Horror  (Read 68034 times)
samanthab
« on: July 08, 1999, 06:29:42 PM »

Dont be so damn harsh on Dean!! He's a hottie. It wasnt that bad.Only Sandra Dee is way miscast.
akira@norcom.net.au
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 1999, 03:19:34 PM »

I actually enjoyed the movie a lot. It was at times creepy, ludicrous and erotic. What more could you want from a film? Despite all its faults, it nearly succeeded in the impossible task of bringing something of Lovecraft's vision to the screen.

But you're right about the ending - it sucks!
lblandford@upmail.com
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 1999, 09:12:19 PM »

This flick is one of my all time Guilty Pleasures.
Besides, I may not have discovered H.P.Lovecraft if it wasn't for this film. There are some great bits, such as the creepy shot of the invisible monster (wind?) rolling over the swamp bog at night. This was a great drive in movie back in 1970.
Charles
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2006, 04:09:49 PM »

Wow- stumbled across the site while surfing. Never thought I'd be reminded of THAT movie again!
sandra dee
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2000, 01:55:18 AM »

Hey, I enjoyed making this film!!! Give me a break!
chad edwards
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2000, 03:25:37 PM »

I don't care what anyone says, I really enjoyed this movie. I thought the acting was great, especially by the lovely and talented Sandra Dee, who I have always had a huge crush on. Dean Stockwell(also terrific) was obviously warming up for his role in David Lynch's DUNE. Ed Begley also does well in his very last film role. Critics and audiences alike are much too harsh on this neat little flick. Besides, of the many attempts Hollywood has made to capture the great H.P. Lovecraft on celluloid, this is by far the best! The only possible flaw the film has is the ending, but that's no reason to completely dismiss it.
Minna H
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2006, 04:09:03 PM »

No matter how bad the movie is (and it has its good moments too) I can forgive everything for the sight of Dean
Stockwell looking so handsome.
mira m
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2006, 04:09:49 PM »

Here's some trivia: according to folklore, owls nailed above doorways repel storms. No idea why you'd have one nailed to a porch railing though...
Bats
« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2006, 04:09:49 PM »

Being an HP Lovecraft fan I thought I'd give this a try.  Bad mistake.  It stayed on my screen for perhaps five minutes before I reached for the 'off' button.  I think it was the cartoon credits that did it for me.  I mean, come on!  It makes me wonder just how scary The Exorcist would have been if the credits had been done by Tex Avery...
Loverlyrose
« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2006, 04:09:49 PM »

I watched this movie purely by accident on tv the other night, and enjoyed it! It was a fairly descent gothic, but not at all scary but just creepy with a good morbid sense of humor! The performances were good, especially by it's two leads Dean Stockwell, and Sandra Dee! I've always enjoyed Dean Stockwell's acting(Married to the Mob, tv's Quantum Leap) and was quite taken by how young and handsome he looked, and I always thought Sandra Dee was sweet & cute in her teen movies like Gidget, but looks astonishingly beautiful and gives a fairly convincing performance here!
Macabre Matt
« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2001, 05:47:19 PM »

I always find this film hard to sit all the way through. I usually start dropping off in the middle. Roger Corman was executive producer on the film, Dean Stockwell got the part after Peter Fonda passed to appear in Easy Rider.
Georgiann
« Reply #11 on: November 25, 2006, 04:09:49 PM »

I love H.P. Lovecraft, and I love Dean Stockwell.  Unfortunately, overall this movie didn't do justice to either of them despite a few atmospheric bits.  It is neat to see Dean looking so very young, though.  I didn't hate it, it's just mediocre and could have been much better without that distracting red-tinted reverse photography and hippie orgy hallucinations.  
lostmissy
« Reply #12 on: November 25, 2006, 04:10:12 PM »

I think this would have a "good" movie if there had been
about 15 (or so)minutes longer. The editing was choppy
enough that the movie theme(plot?) was never around enough
to make sense! but for a 70's cheap flick, it was better
then most.  
Jordan Garren
« Reply #13 on: November 25, 2006, 04:10:12 PM »

The Dunwich Horror may be a B-Movie but it's not a "bad" movie. I purchased it and watched the movie, expecting horrible pain and endless agony. What I got was a pleasant surprise....it wasn't all that bad!!! Phew! Granted there have been thousands of better made movies, that are vastly more entertaining. It's like right in the middle of it all...not good not bad. As Andrew Borntreger once said (about "Starship") "this movie is so average it'd be sent to fight Zarkorr" (From "Zarkorr the Invader"). Hehehehe.
Chad Edwards
« Reply #14 on: November 25, 2006, 04:09:49 PM »

Not bad at all. And actually, much better than you'd expect. In fact, it's one of the few movies to make an honest attempt to capture the mood and atmosphere of H.P. Lovecraft's works. Surely, those '70's psychedelic effects have dated, but several of the performances hold up quite well. Dean Stockwell is a magnificent presence as the outwardly attractive, but inwardly deadly Wilbur Whately. As his intended victim, Sandra Dee looks lovely and registers strongly. Long-standing veterans Ed Begley and Sam Jaffe are also in there and contribute their usual first-rate performances.
Pages: [1] 2 3
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Information Exchange  |  Reader Comments  |  The Dunwich Horror « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.