Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 19, 2024, 02:48:17 AM
712922 Posts in 53040 Topics by 7722 Members
Latest Member: GenevaBarr
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Information Exchange  |  Reader Comments  |  The Dunwich Horror « previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Author Topic: The Dunwich Horror  (Read 68031 times)
Marko J.
« Reply #30 on: November 25, 2006, 04:09:49 PM »

Check out that funny looking owl (49 mins) on the porch. That's a true classic moment of hilarity! I also enjoyed the weird face expression of Stanton. Jim Carrey sucks compared to that :)
GreatCthulhu
« Reply #31 on: November 25, 2006, 04:09:49 PM »

You pathetic humans laugh while you can. One day the stars will be right and I will awaken, then we'll see who is laughing.

I'm making my naughty and nice list. Guess which one you made?

PS-I'm going to destroy the whole human race, but I'll start with the naughty ones.
Backseater
« Reply #32 on: November 25, 2006, 04:09:49 PM »

A much better Lovecraft adaptation than the series of Roger Corman ripoffs by American International which came out during the mid-to-late 1960s.  Corman shamelessly blended Lovecraft with Edgar Allen Poe, but this is the pure vintage.  I was in Korea when it came out and didn't see it for over 30 years until I chanced across the DVD last year.  It also has Sam Jaffee, (I think as Grandpa Whately) who played the Einstein-type scientist in The Day the Earth Stood Still (1953) and  Dr. Zorba on the Ben Casey TV show in the 1960s.  And of course, Sandra Dee.  Too bad she never got nekkid.

Best wishes.
night heron
« Reply #33 on: August 29, 2004, 02:25:50 PM »

I read the origional book by H.P. LOVECRAFT but just like always the book must be better then the movie esspecialy when they like to dree it up with sex,grafic violence,adult languge and the likes
WitchKing
« Reply #34 on: November 25, 2006, 04:10:12 PM »

I actually did enjoy this movie when I saw it on late night TV and bought the DVD shortly thereafter.  The atmosphere was appropriately oppressive and delerious-- the clifftop altar was impressive as hell as was the house interior.  I did get a kick out of the animated title sequence. Sure, the producers put a demented sixties spin on it, but Dean Stockwell is undeniably cool and Sandra Dee is appealing in a part that doesn't really require much from her.  There are some genuinely frightful aspects to the film:  the attack in the attic on the unsuspecting girl, the tracking p.o.v. shots of the liberated demon-twin sweeping over the darkened land, and even the tripped-out wash of primary colors during the rampage worked against the odds.  The monster may be a disappointment and the production was obviously made to cash-in on "Rosemary's Baby", but it's doubtful that anyone else short of Mario Bava, Kenneth Anger, or maybe Alexander Jodorowsky could've done Lovecraft justice at that time.  A good effort nonetheless.
Quick2Murder
« Reply #35 on: January 11, 2005, 07:02:57 PM »

I liked it enough to buy it.  Of course, people tell me I have bad taste in movies.  Go Figure ; )
radioman970
New Visitor

« Reply #36 on: August 24, 2007, 11:38:19 AM »

I paid 5 bucks for this DVD years ago and was surprised at how much I enjoyed it.  Fairly relaxing (some would translate to boring, but I don't mean that) for a witchy horror movie.  Sandra Dee kind of works for me in this and Dean comes off as very mysterious.  Sure, loads of weaknesses but I watch it every October without fail. 
Flu-Bird
« Reply #37 on: November 02, 2009, 03:19:15 PM »

Isnt this suppost to be based on a short story by H.P. LOVECRAFT?
Roman666
New Visitor

« Reply #38 on: November 10, 2010, 02:06:37 PM »

When did you, my friend, forget the name of this site (b-a-d-m-o-v-i-e-s.org)?
Oh, sorry, your'e the owner!!  BounceGiggle
(Just kidding)
zelmo73
Eater of Hobbits
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

Bad day at the construction site

« Reply #39 on: April 09, 2014, 06:30:42 PM »

While it is unfortunate that the original H.P. Lovecraft story was horribly mangled by the filmmakers, this movie all by itself is actually not that bad, especially for 1970. I've seen it a few times on cable TV and always had fun watching it. Dean Stockwell's performance seems to be bland on purpose because the character is supposed to be in contact with inter-dimensional beings, right? So he's gonna come off as kinda weird right from the get-go. Great review, nonetheless!

First rule is, 'The laws of Germany'
Second rule is, 'Be nice to mommy'
Third rule is, 'Don't talk to commies'
Fourth rule is, 'Eat kosher salamis'
------------------
The Dalai Lama walks into a pizza shop and says "Make me one with everything!"
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Information Exchange  |  Reader Comments  |  The Dunwich Horror « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.