Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 19, 2024, 12:37:14 AM
712922 Posts in 53040 Topics by 7722 Members
Latest Member: GenevaBarr
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Information Exchange  |  Reader Comments  |  Barbarella « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6
Author Topic: Barbarella  (Read 143297 times)
Swamprat
« on: November 25, 2006, 04:10:12 PM »

I saw this baby when it came out. Based on a French Comic Strip that was based on a Classic Cult Novel. Roger Vadam was a "European" director and Hanoi Jane's husband at the time. I think he was trying to be the new generations answer to Truffant or something. He didn't even get close...but that's just my opinion. Anyway Gang, we're here for the movie...Right?  A glorious exercise in "counter-culture" cliche. Hanoi Jane bouncing in and out of this jam and that one, looking to get laid the "old fashioned way". Fonda is, we all should admit, just as good an actress as her father was an actor. But in this piece of s**t she moves around like a Heavy Metal Fashion store manniquin. Her boobs move around more convincingly than her lips do. It's kinda like watching a Japanese Godzilla movie...all kinds of stuff going on with these strange "people" floating around in each scene...words never really matching what's going on in the situation at hand. Horrible special effects...even by the standard of it's day. It may have been shot in Vadam's basement in the South of France, by the look of it, I wouldn't be surprised. David Hemmings, one of the best cult actors of the 1960s, is totally wasted in this film. He was lucky his character was zapped into oblivion. It was the late 60s and they wanted to get way out there...they did...way, way out there. Hopefully they'll stay out there. This movie is a must see...at least one time. It's like reading Gone With The Wind, You have to experiance something this bad in order to figure out how such tripe becomes "Classic"...At least Mitchell had Hollywood to clean up a sloppy story and give it a gloss shine. Barbarella...there's a Hollywood saying..."No matter how hard you try, you just can't polish a turd." Watch it once...then burn it for the sake of future generations. Oh yea...the wicked queen was Keith Richard's girlfriend around the time this thing was made. Kinda spooky, ain't it?
GMO
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 1999, 03:05:55 PM »

What really amazes me is that the film was based on a novel...
Angela
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2006, 04:09:49 PM »

Barbarella is one of my favourite films!!  It's Kitsch at it's best!  I love the fashion in it.  One of Jane's best films.  The set was amazing.  I'm sure I saw a wall move once....what was it made of? Cardboard jelly?....lol.  The set was colourful, fantastic.

That Marcan is one hunky hairy beast of a man.....waahhaayyyyyyy ;) and Pygor isn't bad either.....who needs one of them pills when you've got them.....

:D

Angela
Wales
UK
Madcow
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 1999, 04:23:51 AM »

If there were more scenes of La Fondue in the Orgasmatron, this picture would be universally acclaimed.  Right up there with "Citizen Kane", "8 1/2", and "Rules of the Game".  In fact, if the remake ever goes into production, Ms. Barrymore and company would have an unabashed runaway smash on their hands if Drewcella agreed to be in the ecstasy machine for one and a half to two hours.  They should give serious thought to this suggestion.
Paul H.
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2000, 05:04:48 PM »

Worth watching when you want everyone/thing to go away and leave you alone.  It is a good movie to keep your mind confused and unable to think correctly.  Just sit on the couch and veg.

If you are in anyway wanting to do something, you won't be able to watch this movie.  It is just to slow and to "not right with the ways of the universe".

Depending on mental state 3-6 out of ten.
2-3 green globs

Not every movie should be entertaining.  It is just like watching and aquarium.   While it could have been better I think it is fine how it is; leave action to other movies.
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2000, 11:11:40 PM »

Did you actually know, The movie is rated PG, but
when it was actualy released in 1968 the R rating
did not exist so they rated it M(for mature
audiences) then in 1969 they rated it R! It is PG
now because they made cuts in 1977 to the movie.
So rumour has the the rated M or R version is
avaiable somewhere! I found that out some
shan
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2000, 05:12:24 PM »

I'm sorry this is without question the BEST movie ever I mean even Duran Duran loved it.
Muttonhead Smith
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2000, 01:17:07 AM »

Jane Fonda stature in the Women's Liberation Movement is destroyed by this movie. She is too anxious to do the reproductive act to please men. In fact, that was the whole plot. In the end, it is the ANGEL, practically a non-participant in this story, who gets the GIRLS! (How sexist can you get. This is even a slap at the Secular Humanists who share Fonda's Liberal Philosophy!) Director Vadim, who was Fonda's Husband at the time of the movie, appears to be fanatically focused one one message to the audience with this movie, the message being "This is what SLEEPS IN MY BED!"

Fonda has betrayed her Liberal Friends far worse than she betrayed the boys in Vietnam by even letting her name be mentioned in this move! A self-respecting Women's Libber would have caponized Vadim.

Good Work, Jane! You are a Conservative's best friend!
McVouty
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2002, 10:21:49 PM »

She looked great.  The first 5 minutes are among the best 5 minutes in the history of cinema.  And Ho Chi Minh beats the hell out of Osama bin Ladin or Saddam Hussein.
esther
« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2000, 05:57:31 AM »

I simply adore the movie, haven't even found "essence of men" in an amsterdam coffeeshop.  Desperatly looking for the soundtrack.  Want to mary in a cow-suit with an even longer tail.  I wouldn't mind playing with the one-eyed witch.  
Big Dog
« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2000, 05:19:49 AM »

Fact 1:  movie is campy, cheap looking, and has a weak plot
Fact 2:  Regardless of what you may think of Jane politically, she looks great in this film.  Great body, killer eyes, and a sexy as hell kind of bumbling innocence.

Leave your brain in another room, watch the movie, and have fun with it.  It's a cult classic.
Jean
« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2000, 06:10:38 PM »

I saw the movie when I was a little kid and was traumatized by the robot dolls....
Captain Syrup
« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2000, 01:03:49 PM »

This film absolutly ROCKS! Genre Sci-Fi/Erotica (yeah, sounds impossible), the budget appears to be less than a Grand, the acting is terrible but the film is great, seriosly. Oh yeah, I saw it on TV recently (I live in the U.K.) and it is now rated 15+
Jennifer
« Reply #13 on: September 13, 2000, 02:22:49 PM »

I am 99% sure that the villian's name in the movie is actually Durand Durand.  Duran Duran DID take their name from this film (they have been quoted numerous times over the years stating this) but left off the extra d's.

I will have to go home and check the credits to be 100% postive about the name, but just wanted to make this mention!

Siskel
« Reply #14 on: September 21, 2000, 02:41:33 AM »

Just so you know, Barbarella isn't supposed to make any sense.  It's full of gratuitous shots of Jane Fonda being the universe whore.  Just enjoy a movie for what it's worth every once and a while.  Just like someone can love Back to the future (I admit it) you can love barbarella.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Information Exchange  |  Reader Comments  |  Barbarella « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.