Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 19, 2024, 03:05:39 AM
712924 Posts in 53040 Topics by 7722 Members
Latest Member: GenevaBarr
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Information Exchange  |  Reader Comments  |  Barbarella « previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6
Author Topic: Barbarella  (Read 143305 times)
Jo
« Reply #30 on: November 25, 2006, 04:10:12 PM »

IT's my favorite movie! But some things in the review need to be corrected: it IS Durand-Durand (with the d's), the Mathmos (not the magmos) is the evil lava-lamp like monster-liquid-life-form-thingy, and what is the talk about "Lythion"? the Great Tyrant (whose 'obsession' with the word 'pretty' is actually the nick-name she gives barbarella) rules over the city of Sogo (a reference to the biblical cities of Sodom and Gomorra), outside the Ice and Forests of Wier, on the planet 16 in the system Talseti. I see no talk of "Lythion".

Anyways I believe that it is the best movie ever and Jane Fonda is the only one that can play it so well. The music is just too perfect, it adds to the acid-trip like effects.

Oh yeah, if I had a futuricistic state of the art spaceship with a psycedelic viewscreen, I would want it to have orange shag carpeting from top to bottom, also.
Janet
« Reply #31 on: November 25, 2006, 04:10:12 PM »

I also saw this as a child the first time around 1978.  I remember I had the chicken pox and we had cable and I watched it as my mother was in the kitchen doing something.  I just remember thinking I can't believe she is letting my watch this, it seemed like the dirtiest thing I had ever seen.  As soon as I went back to school I had to tell all my friends about it, and then we tried reinacting some of the scenes!  After that I have always been infatuated with it.  On my honeymoon I remember the first night it was playing and I made my husbad watch it.  He was not as impressed.  I've rented it on and off since then, and watched it the other day with a new boyfriend and he said "no wonder you are like you are now"!  I thought it was definetly cheesy but I thought it was great!
Pygar
« Reply #32 on: November 25, 2006, 04:09:49 PM »

I just love it when people talk about how much better the unrated, Originial Uncut European version of this film is... and then never say WHERE TO FIND IT!!!

Anyone know where I can find it? While I am at it... I am also looking for any behind the scenes pics I can find of the spaceship (inside, outside, or model) and the Excessive Machine. I am also on the lookout for pics of Mark Hand's Catchman sleigh. I am a scale modeler and feel these desgns need to be made into models! But the spaceship is either seen at a distance or always from the same 3/4 view, the same with the Excessive Machine.
lung
« Reply #33 on: November 25, 2006, 04:09:49 PM »

Saw it on british TV yesterday, and I must say that is excellent with its halucinatory trip. I was truly amazed at how much nonsense was thrown at the spectator, and how I could accept it. The only thing a tad difficult is the pace, which isn't that fast compared to today's movies.
Philip Morris
« Reply #34 on: November 25, 2006, 04:09:49 PM »

I liked the site but needed to know a silly answer to this question: any idea why they'd put in a barbarella type doll shop in Saint Peters, South Australia, near Bacall's hairdressers? And a thing called Paramount Aquariums? And a place built by a supreme court judge in 1963 builders named Zechariah Investments, Levy & Co; judge named Sir herbert kingsley pain? any idea why they'd put in a doll hospital ala barbarella? turner's meats nearby etc?
Andy Ramos
« Reply #35 on: October 17, 2003, 05:57:21 PM »

From Spain, I have just seen the movie. One word: incredible. I have no words to describre the movie; everything is amazing, terrific, the kish style is difficult to improve. Just great.
Katherine
« Reply #36 on: November 25, 2006, 04:09:49 PM »

Barbarella is a complete and total trip. It's so funny. Seriously, the people creating it, and rating it were on shrooms. Oh well, the more the marrier!
Steve
« Reply #37 on: November 25, 2006, 04:09:49 PM »

Hey, I did'nt like Red Jane sitting on the AA gun either, I AM a Viet Nam vet. However, as a disabled vet, and a patriot, my veiw is that I fought for all Americans, those that agreed with the War and those that did not. While I may not agree with Ms. Fonda's extreism I fully and unquestionable agree with her right to exprees her disagreement with American policy. Hey my man, that IS what America is all about. About this movie, I think Jane Fonda was hot, but Anita Pallenberg was hotter.
pretty pretty ;P
« Reply #38 on: January 02, 2004, 03:19:33 AM »

Remaking the movie with Drew Barrymore is a terrible idea not only will they ruin the original but she wont fit the chacter like Jane Fonda.  A movie like this should just be left alone.
double-D-diehard
« Reply #39 on: November 25, 2006, 04:10:12 PM »

Barbarella is a great movie. I first seen it back in the 80's when a best gal-pal got her hands on a copy (Her brother was stationed in Germany at the time. He got her the Euro version). It's not a film for the mind, but for the body (watch it with a love one, you'll see what I mean).
If you listen to the way Barbarella talks, it sounds like " Dr. Guran Guran" not Dr. Durand Durand.
And of course like many people I got into it because of Duran Duran! Thank God!
Bug
« Reply #40 on: November 25, 2006, 04:09:49 PM »

I think this movie is where the creators of Living Dead Dolls got their ideas. I shall channel Barbarella's sexual force and take over the world! And I wouldn't throw The Great Tyrant out of bed, either....
Raejo
« Reply #41 on: November 25, 2006, 04:09:49 PM »

Amazing, Barbarella hit me straight in the lower abdomen, I've seen it this afternoon, and now, seven hours later I'm still laughing my ass of, not to mention the Afrodisian effect (is that correct use of language?)... Oh wow!
lonesome loon
« Reply #42 on: June 28, 2004, 07:36:14 PM »

And this is not the only putrid movie with hanoi jane there also THE BLUEBIRD  and STEEL YARD BLUES and to think that JOHN PHILLIP LAW WOULD STOOP SO LOW? what a fool
Cyanide Fish
« Reply #43 on: November 25, 2006, 04:09:49 PM »

Back when Ted Turner and Jane Fonda were an item the joke was that you could tell when they had a fight 'cos Ted would show Barbarella on TBS.
Eduardo
« Reply #44 on: November 25, 2006, 04:09:49 PM »

About the PG rating.
In '68 there were no ratings, it was approved but suggested for mature audiences.
the movie get the re rating (PG) in 1977
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Information Exchange  |  Reader Comments  |  Barbarella « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.