Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 18, 2024, 10:04:33 PM
712916 Posts in 53040 Topics by 7722 Members
Latest Member: GenevaBarr
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Information Exchange  |  Reader Comments  |  Masters of the Universe « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5
Author Topic: Masters of the Universe  (Read 87776 times)
Kolten
« Reply #15 on: September 15, 2000, 12:49:58 AM »

You know, actually, I thought the first half of the film was pretty cool, but for some reason the second half didn't do as much for me.  In the first half I remember thinking it was pretty suspenseful when, for instance, the four bad guys are chasing Courtney's character in the high school gym and whatnot.  

I also remember Blador being one of my favorite bad guys as a younger kid (almost up there with Boba Fett).  Ironically, Blador wasn't even in the cartoon.  (Come to think of it, I don't think the other three guys were either...)

But anyway...

Kolt

Twisted_Syke
« Reply #16 on: November 25, 2006, 04:10:12 PM »

I was a rabid He-man fan when I was young, I bought the action figures, read the children's books, watched the cartoon almost religiously, and of course I saw the flick. I enjoyed it then, and I still enjoy it now in that guilty pleasure sort of way all B-movie fans have. However, the first thing I said when I left the theatre was

"What's with the laser rifles?" Ok, I didnt say that exactly, but I knew laser rifles didnt belong in He-Man, as well as Earth. today, i shake my head and think of how much better it could have been if it was truly faithful to the TV show, with Eternia in all its glory, as well as Battle Cat and Orko (Go Battle Cat!) I didnt understand budgets that well back then, but I digress. in its own Star wars-ripoff way, Masters of the universe is a good movie, and only fans that are more rabid than I am would scream bloody murder at the director.

oh yeah and....

I HAVE THE POWER!!!

I just had to say that. *laughs like Skeletor from the cartoon*
The Ferret
« Reply #17 on: November 25, 2006, 04:10:12 PM »

One small point. Meg Foster did play Christine Cagney in the pilot episode of "Cagney and Lacey" but was replaced that same year by Sharon Gless. Attributing her as the character here is misleading as most do not even recall her brief and unmemorable stint on the show.

I would say that she is better remembered from her roles in They Live and the Oblivion films.
Bryn Roberts
« Reply #18 on: November 25, 2006, 04:09:49 PM »

When i was young i loved he-man but was a bit too young to really understand it. However, Masters of the universe was the first video i ever got and i still watch it today.
For starters, the acting wasn't as terrible as people make out, and the special effects, there's absolutly nothing wrong with them. The music although a bit similair to Star Wars made a perfect accompaniment to the action scenes and i even found a lump in my throat at the very end when courtney cox wakes up to find her parents are alive.
A kiddies movie but when we think about it were all big kids anyway.
Paul Westbrook
« Reply #19 on: November 25, 2006, 04:09:49 PM »

Masters of the Universe is one of those was good, but could've been better movies. The only appeal of this junk, was the special effects. Certainly not the acting, which was in my opinion, crummy as hell.
chris
« Reply #20 on: November 25, 2006, 04:10:12 PM »

Did anyone else notice that He-Man and all the other MOTU characters were barbarians with swords, not barbarians with swords and LASER GUNS!?!?! In the words of Adam Sandler: "Who were the ad wizards that came up with that one?"
Dan
« Reply #21 on: November 25, 2006, 04:09:49 PM »

I think it was physically impossible for any child of the 80's to have avoided this movie. The chip in your head would explode or something. I remember being the tallest person in the audience when this came out to the theatre and I still try to watch it when it comes to TBS or where ever on cable. Good attempts by the whole crew to brethe life into cartoon characters. Loved Seletor's outfit. Evil-lyn was way cooler than she ever was in the tv show. No Orco, darn it ! Ah, back in the day when Courtney cox was  cute and not the fragile wasp woman hollywierd has made her.
Master of the Universe
« Reply #22 on: November 25, 2006, 04:09:03 PM »

I was affraid of Skeletor (Frank Langella), when I was just 8 years old and saw the movie.
He did his job very well, he was an absolutely great performer of Skeletor.
He was very bad, his voice and look scared me at that age.

He-man (Dolph Lundgren) did not act very well, but enough.
It was strange for me to see that he-man has only 3 friends around him (Man at arms, Teela & Gwildor).
I missed Ram-man, and other figures in the movie.
Also on the side of Skeletor were 2 known figures: Beastman & Evelyn.
I thought: who the X are Blade, Karg & Saurod ??

The movie could be a lot better if it all take place on Eternia, the choice to visit earth was bad (my opinion) !!

But..........Skeletor makes the movie believable !

Thanks Frank Langella !!
Deej
« Reply #23 on: November 25, 2006, 04:09:49 PM »

I was 12 when this flick came out and I was like the only kid on my block who didn't play with these toys(or the go-bots...or Transformers). I digress, after being dragged to this dud by the kid across the hall(you guys remember Danny Clark right?)I like the whole Masters of The Universe thing less. I thought it was gonna be cool because it had the Drago in it...NO. Someone tell me why this crap got a feature and GI JOE got a crappy cartoon movie. I WAS ROBBED!! And hey, didn't Loretta Swit play Cagney(or Lacey whichever) in the Pilot??
Swamprat
« Reply #24 on: November 25, 2006, 04:09:49 PM »

The movie itself I don't really have a problem with. It was juvenile with an attempt to amuse Mom and Dad on the side. And it did...My daughter was maybe four or five at the time. She didn't fall asleep but wasn't impressed either. My hang up, just one of many I have, is the cash-in value of this sort of tripe. It's a toss up as to which is worse...Hollywood cashing in on a toy fad by making the movie, or toy makers cashing in on movie fads by making junk toys resembling characters or equipment. The result is the same...our kids get screwed, robbed of any original imagination, any semblance of original creativity, any flashes of original thought...and Mom and Dad reach deep into their pockets to fuel this bulls**t. The movie is silly...of course it's silly...It's a CARTOON. The characters were ridiculous...they were TOYS! The only thing in this film that impressed me was Frank Langellas voice...like James Earl Jones...his performances are up and down from film to film...In this one he's great, in that one he sucks...but the voice never wavers. With that voice Skeletor sounded like a serious bad ass. This was the only thing really interesting in the whole pitifully comercial piece of tripe. Wanna get a good Juvenile adventure movie to watch with the kids? Rent Jason and the Argonauts, or A Boy Ten Feet Tall...or even an old Ivan Tors movie like Clarence the Cross Eyed Lion or even Flipper. Tell Hollywood they can shove the cookie cutter brainwashing money machine movies up thier Kazoos. Do we want our kids to all grow up to be Consumer Lust suffering dullards, or reasonably intelligent individuals.  
Kenner
« Reply #25 on: November 25, 2006, 04:10:12 PM »

Your not the only one who got a nasty E-mail from Gary Goddard. I gave the movie a *1/2 star rating out of 4, and said that it was a very bad movie, which it is. My quote exactly.

Masters Of The Universe (1987)

Rating*1/2
Cast:Dolph Lundgren,Frank Langella,Courtney Cox,Meg Foster,Billy Barty,James Tolkan

"Masters Of The Universe" was a movie based on a cartoon series and toys and for the most part it basicly stunk. Sure there are a few redeeming moments  but this movie is strictly sub-par and Dolph Lundgren's wooden acting makes the movie painful as he recites his lines straight from the cue card and Frank Langella well let's just say he takes the wise approach by not showing his face. To basicly describe the plot you only need to say Dolph Lundgren VS Frank Langella or the sake of the world....Dolph Lundgren fans may like this one but this not one of his best. D.Gary Goddard  

I feel it my duty to say when a movie is really bad and I didn't like it, Hey I like a few of Dolph Lundgren's movies but this is a real stinker.

Gary Goddard is a guy who seriously needs to get over the simple fact that his movie stinks BIG TIME.  

I mean come on, you wrote Bo Derek's "Tarzan The Ape Man" you should be USED to the criticism!
Andrew
« Reply #26 on: November 25, 2006, 04:10:12 PM »

I can't believe that "Masters of the Universe" is on this site!  It was a great movie-- actually, it's my second favorite movie of all time (the Star Wars movies are my #1).  I was so excited when I saw the DVD at my local Wal-Mart.  I've probably watched it 10+ times already.  The commentary with the director is interesting too.  My hope is that someday he can put in some of the things he was forced to leave out because of budget and time-constraints.  I would also love to see a sequel.  It's one of my Dad's favorite movies too, and he rarely likes any movies.  
Iressivor
« Reply #27 on: November 25, 2006, 04:10:12 PM »

Whoa, have any of you guys been watching the new He-Man series on Cartoon Network?  There's an episode in which He-Man and Skeletor do an almost exact ripoff of Goddard's live-action film.

In the episode called "Sky War", Skeletor gets his hands on the Ambrosia, which is harvested by Buzz-Off's people.  Once eaten, it morphs him into a kind of Super Skeletor, not unlike the one in the movie, making him more powerful than He-Man.

Anyway, when He-Man and Skeletor finally clash, Skeletor gets the upper hand.  As he works to overpower his nemesis, He-Man taunts Skeletor, which causes the effects of the Ambrosia to wear off quicker.  As expected, Skeletor's power begins to fade.

The next few seconds are the story.  As He-Man drives Skeletor down to his knees, the evil warlock lets out an anguished cry of "NOOOOOO!" as his power dissolves in a huge flash of golden light.  The scene is almost a dead ringer for the battle in Masters of the Universe, though whether the writers were poking fun at Goddard's work, or paying homage to it, I have no idea.

Just thought I'd pass that little tidbit along.  Later.
Iressivor
« Reply #28 on: November 25, 2006, 04:10:12 PM »

Oh, as far as the movie itself goes, I liked it.  Is it a good movie on the whole?  Not really.  Heck, The Sword and the Sorcerer is my all-time favorite film, and I doubt that very many people would consider it a good movie.

But like most B-rated movies, Masters of the Universe does have its moments.  Like when He-Man and Skeletor have their face-off in the finale, and Skeletor chides his rival for standing in the way of his destiny.  He-Man replies with a stellar line, "It's always been between us", which is the basic premise of the entire cartoon.  As long as Skeletor is hell bent on conquering Eternia, He-Man will always be there to stop him.

I loved it in the theaters when I was a kid, and it's still a mild favorite at my house.  Now, I wonder if they could get Triple H to do the sequel?  He's certainly roided up enough to pass for He-Man, but they might have to do something about that incredibly large nose of his.

LOL, just kidding.
Karl
« Reply #29 on: November 25, 2006, 04:09:03 PM »

I thought this Masters Of The Universe was better than the Cartoons!  I thought the cartoons were very boring!  i have been reading some reviews and some people wished She-Ra was in the movie!  Why?  she and He-man only played in 2 movies together He-Man and She-Ra Secret of the sword and He-Man And She-Ra Christmas Special!  their should be no reason of having her in here!  anyway!  This movie had great actors like Dolph Lundgren, Frank Langella, Meg Foster, Courteny Cox, and some more!  i thought the prodrcers did a very good job!  and the acting was great!  i have this movie and i watch this movie every-day!  The Movie is about He-Man that battles Skeltor for control of the universe in order to save the day, our hero, must, within 24 hours find the cosimic key and free the sworccess that is under a powerful spell that Skeltor has her!  So 2 teenage lovers Kevin and Julie have the key and they make and mistake it for a japensse Synthezier  untill they find themselves pursed by skelotrs henchmen!  it is up to He-man and his friends to find the key that Julie and Kevin have and Free the sworccess!   I would rent the movie before i buy the movie just in case you have a differnt opion!  than me!

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Information Exchange  |  Reader Comments  |  Masters of the Universe « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.