Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 19, 2024, 03:56:13 AM
712925 Posts in 53040 Topics by 7722 Members
Latest Member: GenevaBarr
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Information Exchange  |  Reader Comments  |  Army of Darkness « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6
Author Topic: Army of Darkness  (Read 135331 times)
SSG Chris H. Brown
« Reply #15 on: November 25, 2006, 04:10:12 PM »

Just finished watching "Army of Darkness" again.  Lord knows how many times I've watched that film and I never grow tired of it.  Even my parents thought the movie was hilarious.
  I enjoyed the original ending, typical Ash luck, but I must admit I prefer the S-Mart ending.  When I saw the movie in the theater I was so hoping they'd put out "Army of Darkness 2", still am hoping.  
  Another great thing about this film is it caused me to meet a fellow B-Movie fan here in my unit.  I was talking to one of the women I know in passing from the unit and she was heading off to the PX to do some shopping.  Of course I said "Shop smart," to which she responded "shop S-Mart."  I stopped, looked at her and continued "Lady, I'm afraid I'm going to have to ask you to leave the store."  We then proceeded to do the lines for the rest of the movie from that point with me as Ash and her as the She-b***h.  Needless to say other soldiers nearby just sort of looked at us with that weird look the uninitiated give.
  It's great to find someone to watch B-Movies with.  We've gotten together several times so far and she's just as bad as me in mocking them.  Now if she just didn't already have a boyfriend but I digress from the original point of this e-mail.  Hey, it's 2248 hours (10:48 P.M. in civilian time) on a Sunday night and I'm still exhausted from a long hard week and the weekend is over.  Fortunately it's a short week with the 4th of July coming up.
  "Army of Darkness" rocks and Bruce Campbell is the man!!!
Justin
« Reply #16 on: November 25, 2006, 04:09:03 PM »

The third film in the Evil Dead delivers yet again another cult classic. All though the horror aspect of the movie is far from sight, the comedy is funny. I never thought Bruce Campbell can actually BE funny. The storyline is different which gives the film series a new feel. I was surprised to see Bridget Fonda playing the role of Linda. I enjoyed the film to the to the limit. I also hope that Bruce and Sam will return with a fourth film to add to this amazing series.
BTW
« Reply #17 on: November 25, 2006, 04:10:12 PM »

BTW, the lines from the book are from The Day The Earth Stood Still, not Forbidden Planet. And although not certain, Bruce seems to think that it was probably Sam's idea to put it in. Also, an interesting fact; the invisible evil force is actually a camera mounted to a quad motor bike. Even more interesting, at the end of Evil Dead 1 (SPOILER SPOILER!!!!) when Bruce is almost hit by the quad before the camera stops... well, let's just say it wasn't so "almost". BTW, Sam was driving. :)
TC Clark
« Reply #18 on: November 25, 2006, 04:09:03 PM »

Within in all the words many have written few have failed to see the artistry of this film that tells a story needed
to be known, from the Evil dead it came but much to harsh for the children to understand the story, so thus in this way it is told, I find this movie to be my all time favorite
for it tells all of history and time to come in a form that is easy on the eyes with a smile on your face as you veiw
the story of the creation of man and the complex workings of its mind, each showed as the show plays before you.
Reaver
« Reply #19 on: November 25, 2006, 04:10:12 PM »

Excellent movie, lots of "tag lines" ( Shop smart, shop S-Mart!) There was actually a store in a nearby city to me that was called S Mart!  Every time I drove past the place I had myself a little chuckle.  Now, my only gripe with the story.....Ash, my man, are you nuts?  Leaving the medieval world and that first-class babe Sheila to come back to the mundane world????? Okay, maybe I'm biased from being in the SCA.  Anyway, the undead effects were great,  the final battle was a hoot, and the supporting cast was pretty darn good.  One question:  what happened to the poor wenches that the Army of Darkness had captured while they were still "recruiting" ?
Thomas Grant
« Reply #20 on: November 25, 2006, 04:09:49 PM »

This movie is one of the best movies I've ever seen besides the Godzilla series.I like this movie better then the first two.The first one is just nasty and scary but the second one is funny and scary but the third one is hilarious!Ash is cool and funny.I first saw it when we rented it at the library.My intire family liked it but I loved it!I've only seen the S Mart ending but I don't want to see the other ending because I don't want to see the Earth dersted.Ash did great in Army Of Darkness.I hope there will be a fouth one.Army of Darkness should have a aword.Its funner then most funny movies.My brother Scott has the first two but when I go to Wallmart I'll try and get the third one.It's my favrite Evil Dead movie.I like when he's in the S Mart and the part when he comes out of the pit and I like all of the rest of the funny parts.It's a great movie.You sould see it.
Bizz
« Reply #21 on: November 25, 2006, 04:09:49 PM »

Ok, kiddies..Here's the rundown.  The first ED was ok.  It was really disgusting when I was twelve and the fact that the hacked parts that moved were random(the wrist, part of the forearm) made me squirm.  It was nothing I celebrated though.  The series became speacial for me with . That was an intense EC comic ride.  Fun from Start to finish.  Idon't even need the first one now.  it truly pales in comparison.  AOD is a romp.  It is the kind of movie I wish had been made when I was in Junior High. A ton of energy and a ton of attitude. Sometimes Fun is Fun.
Bobi
« Reply #22 on: November 25, 2006, 04:10:12 PM »

This is my all time favorite movie!  I love this movie!  Its campy, its funny, the skeletons are a scream.  Okay, the basic plot leaves a lot to be desired, but its not really a horror film - its SUPPOSED to be funny.  This movie is worth watching just to see/hear what the marching skeletons do and say.  And all the "in joke" references to other old horror movies are fun to look for.  Like the phrase "Klatu Verata Nikto" from "The Day the Earth Stood Still."
Ed
« Reply #23 on: November 25, 2006, 04:09:49 PM »

AOD is one of the best movies I've ever seen. I own the VHS version with the alternate ending. Probably the best part in the whole movie is when Ash is attacked the the Deadites after screwing up the incantation. Great homage to the Three Stooges!
Chris
« Reply #24 on: July 30, 2001, 01:02:40 PM »

I really like this one just as the first and the second one but too anybody Briget Fonda was in the begining not the endding. That was a diffrent girl. So if they do make another one will sign me up!
deaddwarf
« Reply #25 on: November 25, 2006, 04:09:03 PM »

This trilogy is the best trilogy I know - actually I have tried to find other movies with sequels that are this good but havent found any?

Every film has its value of entertainment.
Evil dead - great horror
Evil dead2 - awesome horror/comedy
Evil dead3 - superb adventure/horror/comedy

I really hope there will be one more movie!
Michael
« Reply #26 on: November 25, 2006, 04:10:12 PM »

This movie wsa interesting to say the least. I like the S-Mart ending better, for many reasons. like to old zombi-foed lady, I like the "Ash: Housewares" and most of all, I like the zombie lady flying through the air after going for a little "bounce." I had no idea old crusty evil ladies we that agile until I saw this film. The origonal ending with the world being destroyed reminded me of Planet of the Apes.  "It was Earth all along. EARTH!"
Anywho, its a good movie if your high or bored.

The End
Big Drew
« Reply #27 on: November 25, 2006, 04:10:12 PM »

The S-Mart girl at the end of the movie is the same actress that played Adam Sandler's ex-girlfriend Linda in "The Wedding Singer."  "Hey, take off my Van Halen t-shirt before you jinx the band and they break up!" (sadly prophetic)
AOD is one of those rare films that I could watch every day and still laugh every time.
Rob
« Reply #28 on: November 25, 2006, 04:10:12 PM »

Well, first of all, does anyone know how to get in touch with Rory Dul? His review is somewhere on this page and I am rather ashamed that he speaks the same language I do.

Getting on to the subject of the movie, I have to say that it rocks! It is one of those movies that somehow manages to get better every time you see it, like "Ghostbusters" or "The Princess Bride." But since "Army of Darkness" is a b-movie, this fact makes it even more remarkable.

I saw it at the tender age of 13 (and being raised by a Catholic mother, it was hard for me to see R-Rated movies until I was about 15 or 16), and I still refer to it whenever I speak of one-liners or anti-heroes. It is very well-written, and Ash is one of the most down-to-earth characters I have ever seen. That line he shot to the deadite version of Sheila was just brilliant ("Honey, you got real ugly"), and the scorn he felt towards these people at the beginning (and still kind of did at the end) was also admirable. I've always enjoyed anti-heroes more than "white hats vs. black hats," and the two examples I always cite are Snake Plissken (Kurt Russell) and Ash.

This movie opened up the door of b-movies for me, and I have been collecting them ever since (course, I have it easier than my predecessors; the internet is a useful tool for hunting). I will always have deep respect for Sam Raimi, and for Bruce Campbell.
Sane Jake
« Reply #29 on: November 25, 2006, 04:10:12 PM »

Feh, Gareth's opinion means Jack and Squat to me, and Jack left town.  Primitive screw-head.

Personally, I think Ash is more endearing in Evil Dead 2 as he's loopier... but I love how he acts like a cartoon character in Army of Darkness.  No matter WHAT happens to him, he is determined to somehow... SOMEHOW... get it back.  (First exposed when he's determined to shoot his hand, and amplified later)

I viewed the movie as a live cartoon -- one that does a FAR better job than any movie that actually meant to be a live cartoon.  (Such as using a spatula to scrape his face off a hot stove, and the mini-Ashes finishing "London Bridge" when Ash gets wallopped)  Personally, I didn't see "horror", just the comedy.  It has the spirit of a classic (uncut) Warner Bros. cartoon.

I can see how one might be split between ED2 and AOD as the better film.  One thing that IS fun is watching Ash's personality evolve in each film -- from the wimp in ED, to the I'm-Not-Taking-Any-More-Of-Your-Crap in EO2, to being completely sick and tired of anything evil, anything dead and anything irritating.  He retains the sentimentality in each film (whether it be cheap jewelry or seeing his girl again in the midst of a battle) but he seems to learn in each one.  (Such as pre-emptively smashing the mirror in AOD... doesn't work, but worth a shot)  He seems to become a better fighter in each film, too.

Still... I'd think AOD should have gotten an extra half drop at least.  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Information Exchange  |  Reader Comments  |  Army of Darkness « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.