Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 19, 2024, 12:02:11 AM
712922 Posts in 53040 Topics by 7722 Members
Latest Member: GenevaBarr
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Information Exchange  |  Reader Comments  |  Dark Star « previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5
Author Topic: Dark Star  (Read 95949 times)
Carol
« Reply #45 on: November 25, 2006, 04:10:12 PM »

Oh, this site is lovely, I don't know how what started me obsessively thinking about Dark Star, but sometime last week after 20 years, I started recreating it in my mind.  I remembered the alien, phenominology, the eyes of the frozen captain, Talby staring into space then going off with the pheonix asteroids--I couldn't get it out of my mind, and I searched for it at the video store with no luck, finally I searched online and got it within two days.  Aaaaaaaah, there was sooo much I had forgotten! I had forgotten "Benson Arizona"!  I love this movie, I've played it repeatedly since getting it.  It was playing as I made dinner and my husband walked in asking what that horrible movie was.  What a shock...and we're supposed to stay married for the next 50 years?
JM
« Reply #46 on: November 25, 2006, 04:09:49 PM »

Ditto to the previous comment mentioning the band Pinback. They are one of my favorite bands, but I had no idea when I saw the movie that there was a connection. I laughed to hear of Sgt. Pinback, all the samples that I knew from the songs, and Talby. (Talby is the name of a Pinback song. Seriously, Pinback is an amazing band.

And if ya like Pinback....check out Heavy Vegetable and Thingy, also the brainchilds (brainchildren?) of Mr. Rob Crow. OK, enough Indy rock 'shoutouts'. I liked Dark Star on it's own. Target practice with laser rifles. Rubber chickens and novelty eyeball spring glasses. Phenomenology? Brilliant!
claudia(from Germany)
« Reply #47 on: May 24, 2004, 07:58:10 PM »

I loved this film right from the start. Saw DS first when I was 17, now I´m 39 and I still love it... There`s humour, sarcasm - and it shows that humans will always be the same idiots ,even they`re in outer space...
night heron
« Reply #48 on: June 24, 2004, 09:39:09 PM »

Kinda reminds me of the 60s sci fi classic LOST IN SPACE  where their aleins were kind of strange looking and one episode featured mine made from BEACHBALLS and another talked about NUTRON BOMBS which looked a lot like the beads that some toddlers would string on a red rope kindda fun
Frank
« Reply #49 on: November 25, 2006, 04:09:49 PM »

Is EQUINOX, aka THE BEAST ever going to be released to DVD? and how about DON'T BE AFRAID OF TEH DARK? if anyone knows about this, please let me know.
pinback
« Reply #50 on: August 25, 2005, 12:09:12 AM »

This movie was so freakin sweet!  A classic one of a kind work of art for science fiction and B movies in general.  And so funny!!  I just saw this for the first time recently.
Jorge Riquelme
« Reply #51 on: November 25, 2006, 04:09:03 PM »

This movie is hilarious and obviously is has a very intelligent plot, i like all the movie, especially the final reasoning of bomb 20 about his existence.
great great movie, strange, but 99% of people who likes this movie, likes 2001 too, me either.
numbskull
« Reply #52 on: November 25, 2006, 04:10:12 PM »

This is probably my favorite sci-fi movie of all time.  Ever since I saw it I always answer my phone with "Help".  JC is god.
Lynna
« Reply #53 on: November 25, 2006, 04:10:12 PM »

Saw this for the first time on TV when I was about 13 -- laughed so hard I nearly hacked up a lung!  It's one of my all-time favorites, and I'm thrilled to get it on DVD.  Whenever anyone starts talking about which really "bad", cheesy movies they like, I always recommend DS to them.  And Pinback's eight track diary is hilarious -- his explanation of how he accidentally got shot into space because he didn't know how to work the microphone in his helmet was priceless!
Dave Munger
« Reply #54 on: November 25, 2006, 04:09:03 PM »

I found the song online!

http://www.benzedrine.cx/darkstar.html
KiL
« Reply #55 on: August 17, 2005, 07:02:34 AM »

I watched this movie a long time ago on a german tv channel, and i liked it so much. I wish, Mr. Carpenter make a remake, it will be great fun. :]
Norman Conquest
« Reply #56 on: November 25, 2006, 04:10:12 PM »

My top 5 SF flix!
1 - Dark Star
2 - Lathe of Heaven
3 - Silent Running
4 - Blade Runner
5 - Space Balls (...just kidding)
5 - Sleeper

My top favorite DS moments:
* The alien tapping it's toe nails on the floor.
* "And now for your listening enjoyment; Rosellini's Barber of Seville"
* The entire Doolittle/Powell conversation.
* The arm-less alien grab he broom?
* "Boiler punches me in the arm when noone's looking."

I'd love to see a remake, but am affraid of what Hollywood hacks would do to such a classic.

Gadi
« Reply #57 on: November 25, 2006, 04:09:49 PM »

I stumbled upon this film once when zapping thru channels, and had a delightful surprise. I realized the allusion to Stanley Kubrik's Space Odissey when I first saw it, and when I saw the scene of the B-52 captain riding the atomic bomb in Dr. Strangelove years later the connection to DS occured to me immediately.

Great great movies all of them!
Michael
« Reply #58 on: November 25, 2006, 04:10:12 PM »

I saw an interview with John Carpenter. He said this was ment to be a comedy! But in the era when it was made America had such a drug culture that the audiance just said "Wowwwww" and looked vacant.
Webb
« Reply #59 on: June 13, 2006, 11:19:10 AM »

The scenes of Lt. Pinback feeding the alien and cleaning the elevator made me laugh so hard that I bought a copy of the film when it came out on video!  Twenty some odd years after seeing this movie, those scenes still put me on the floor.  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Information Exchange  |  Reader Comments  |  Dark Star « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.