Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 19, 2024, 05:25:57 AM
712927 Posts in 53040 Topics by 7722 Members
Latest Member: GenevaBarr
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Information Exchange  |  Reader Comments  |  Troll « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
Author Topic: Troll  (Read 84300 times)
Scottie
« Reply #15 on: November 25, 2006, 04:10:12 PM »

This was such an odd experience for me. I picked up this movie a few months after seeing the HIDEOUS Trolls 2 (it took me a while to recuperate from the before mentioned movie) and I was immediately hit with two sensations
1.) Holy crap!! There's a "Hathaway" in this movie! My last name is also Hathaway!! (Creepy for me)

2.) Holy crap again!! The guy's name is Harry Potter!! (just plain weird)

So you see how I could already have formed some pretty good opinions about the movie. Well, I watched it, and I must say, I honestly and truly enjoyed this movie. I don't understand how it got this bad of a rating here. I thought it deserved a three. I really liked it that much. I think that you should rethink your position on Trolls 2 and give that a skull. I hated that movie. I have never seen worse acting in my entire life than from the little kid starring in that movie. He convinced me that if I ever make a movie, I will never give any kids speaking parts. Give Trolls 2 the skull and give Troll nothing less than 2 slimes. But then again, these are just my opinions.

Most of you out there probably whole-heartedly disagree with me. You probably want to tar and feather me for my comments on this movie. But, you can't really call me human if I don't have some firm opinions. Good night, good nite, tonight, tonite.

-Scott-
DeimosUVA
« Reply #16 on: November 25, 2006, 04:09:49 PM »

Alright, I've read people's comments, and not one has picked up on the obvious drug connotations in this movie.  For started that old lady had shrooms in her apartment.  And they talked!!  Secondly, this movie should be called The Ganj Troll.  At least that's what my friends and I call this movie.  (Ganj being a slag for marijuana).  Anway, when the troll turns the first guy into all those plants (I think it was Sunny Bono) they all looke like marijuana leaves.  Then the room gets smokey.  Then all the little trolls start singing.  While I've never associated singing with smoking marijuana, maybe it's just a troll thing.  Every time the troll goes back to that room he has a stupid grin on his face.  When Julia Louis-Dreyfus starts running around, she is obviously blasted.  She's laughing like an idiot, smoke is everywhere, and she's wearing a weed bikini.  AND ALMOST ALL THE STUFF LOOKS LIKE MARIJUANA!!  And the song the ganj trolls sing is great.  Just great.  
Stefan Robak
« Reply #17 on: June 18, 2001, 08:35:39 PM »

Did you notice Gary Sandy as Barrty in this film.  He used to be Andy Travis on WKRP!
DR.T
« Reply #18 on: November 25, 2006, 04:09:03 PM »

The movie was pretty good, I mean I couldnt say it was bad.
The movie gave me the creeps when I was much younger but it was good and Noah Hathaway is a pretty cool actor.
Gallow
« Reply #19 on: November 25, 2006, 04:09:49 PM »

There was a time when all my older brother would have to do is start singing the Troll Chorus and I'd start screaming and covering my ears. This was because it scared the HELL out of me. I STILL recall a nightmare or two with that little bastard in it. It didn't help that we just moved into a new house and my room was all dark wood paneled with cubby spaces in all the walls(It was a Cape Cod style home, if you know what I mean. Basically, it was this dark room with crawlspaces behind all the walls. Perfect size for the Trolls or their cousins the Ghoulies to come scampering through and get me in my sleep. I was young enough to be paranoid of the trolls in the walls and just old enough to know if I pull the covers over my head, they'd just have to chew a little more before they killed me. *L*
   Because of this, I now hold this movie dear to my heart, as shabby as it was. In fact it wasn't until I started grabbing Full Moon movies from the video store every weekend that I even discovered that Charles Band was behind it. Makes PERFECT sense though. This is STILL one of his best. I can't help but laugh at how I was once scared SH*TLESS by some of the most inarticulate puppets I've ever seen! I mean, how often do their heads and jaws shift in opposite directions because the puppeteer isn't moving his thumb back to the right spot after every word? I think THAT might be what made them extra disturbing to me. Dislocatable jaws! *L* Anyways it'll only cost a buck to rent at Blockbuster, so go grab it. Share the love.
 P.S. : Sonny Bono gets torn open by trees in this movie. Years later he gets torn open by trees in real life! Coincidence? READ THE BOOK.
Hannibal Smith
« Reply #20 on: November 25, 2006, 04:10:12 PM »

This movie rules!!! The troll chorus is reaaalllyy adicting! It's been stuck in my head for 7 years!! But i love it! Also Sonny Bono's greatest quote "Hooolyy *$@%!" it was a truley funny moment.
Dano
« Reply #21 on: November 25, 2006, 04:10:12 PM »

A friend Brad told me to rent this because Elaine From Seinfeld (which is that woman's name as far as I am concerned) was naked in it.  I rented it and watched every last minute.  I remain unclear on exactly what Brad's definition of "naked" is, but it differs from mine in several respects.  
Thorn495
« Reply #22 on: September 10, 2002, 11:19:03 PM »

I think this movie should score better than Troll 2 also.  The trolls singing is awesome.  I recorded that portion of the movie to a tape and sung along to it in my car.  Eventually I bought the soundtrack from someone who makes copies of out of print records.  Cantos Profanae.  Anyways, colorful movie.  Perfect and scary for 12 and under.  
James Perry
« Reply #23 on: November 25, 2006, 04:10:12 PM »

Hatthaway probably killed his acting career with this flick...thank God!  But who comes off NeverEnding Story and makes something like this?  Seriously, he not a half bad acter.  Should've fired his agent.

The little girl is actually a gem!  She had a lot to do and comes off real creepy.  Especially funny as she's abusing her brother.  

Watch it for Julia...just like the review said.  The thumb dance from Seinfeld had nothing on this!  

Sonny Bono?!  If Cher hadn't divorced him already she would've after this...God rest his soul!

Moriary, I've heard, is a good actor.  ???  That scene about the rat burgers makes me cringe every time!  "Don't call em rat burgers in front of the kids..."  I wanna slap that lady!!  

So...why am I buying the DVD Troll/Troll 2 double feature coming out (or OUT) August 2003?  Because these films are a hoot!  The second one, I hear, is in a whole different catagory of badness...I can't wait!
Austin
« Reply #24 on: November 25, 2006, 04:09:49 PM »

Atreju was a much better character, even though he was a whiner.  I remember this one from WAY back, and I had been waiting to watch it again for years until a few months ago.  It definitely wasn't as good as I remember it.  You know.  Same situation as when everything seems bigger to you as a five year old.
Lana
« Reply #25 on: April 29, 2005, 08:32:27 PM »

This movie is so terrible.  I could not sit through five mintutes!  You know what the scariest part is, that SCI FI CHANNEL played this movie almost 20 times!
Heather
« Reply #26 on: November 25, 2006, 04:09:49 PM »

I actually never watched the whole thing when it would come on TV, reading this reveiw I think I should buy it!!!! Thank you for such a funny and comprehensive reveiw!

Lemme just say, weirdos in apartment buildings are a sadly un-tapped scary movie premise.
And Noah Hathaway as a slightly odd teenaged B movie fan named Harry Potter?  
TOP THAT! AWESOME!

My own fondness for crap-ola movies is even more precious to me now....*sigh*

Noah Hathaway has incidentally grown up to be the best looking man on the PLANET  Apropos of nothing....

I'm gonna get this movie!  Hee hee....

Kayne
« Reply #27 on: November 25, 2006, 04:09:49 PM »

NOOOOOOOO!!!  I can not believe what the other comments here seem to indicate:  You could NOT have scored Troll 2 better than Troll.  You could NOT have!! I liked this movie as a kid, and I still think it's way underrated - it's a CLASSIC 80's B-flic.  Just the fact that the villian wasn't really 'evil' should get it points.  Troll 2 now...watching that was one of the worst traumas I have suffered...and I have been through a lot (as bad as it was, I remember that the last scene succeeded in truly creeping me out though)...
Richard
« Reply #28 on: September 23, 2004, 11:30:35 AM »

That singing monster scene made me laugh so hard I had to catch my breathe.  Great B-movie, very imaginative.
Felicity
« Reply #29 on: November 25, 2006, 04:09:03 PM »

A disappointing movie...too slick to be bad-good, and too bad to be good-good.  Tacky effects and production values, an extremely limited setting.  Worth seeing once for a several good parts (Michael Moriarty dancing like a psycho to classic rock; Julia Louis-Dreyfus running around almost naked; Gary Sandy as an ex-soldier), but not one to keep on tape after you’re done.

I watched it with friends and one of them liked the chorus.  I think he said something to the effect of “That’s the music I want playing in the background if I’m ever painting or sculpting naked.”  Yikes.  :-)
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Information Exchange  |  Reader Comments  |  Troll « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.