Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 19, 2024, 06:54:21 AM
712928 Posts in 53040 Topics by 7722 Members
Latest Member: GenevaBarr
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Information Exchange  |  Reader Comments  |  The Abominable Dr. Phibes « previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Author Topic: The Abominable Dr. Phibes  (Read 74966 times)
charles peterson
« Reply #30 on: November 25, 2006, 04:09:49 PM »

I love the Dr. Phibes shows so much and I have not been able to find the shows, is there a way to buy the dvd's without a credit card. I do not have one but I want the Dr. Phibes movies so bad. The scarey shows now just can not touch the Dr. Phibes at all. Let me know if I can sent a check or money order to get this movie. Thank You.
T. J. Davis
« Reply #31 on: January 16, 2007, 02:23:19 AM »

This is probably my favorite horror movie (along with its sequel). The dark humor of Mr. Price is at its best in this film, and its a really great movie to view if you've had a falling out with a doctor. This is one of the few movies (if not the only one) I've ever watched where you really hope the bad guy (?) gets away with it. I can not say enough good about this darkly humorous film masterpiece (yes, I said masterpiece).
     I had the wonderful chance to see Vincent Price do a lecture back in the late 1970's regarding his horror film roles, a memory I cherish very much from that time. Near the end of his lecture, Mr. Price took questions from the audience, and one of the questions he was asked was; -What was your favorite horror film roll?  
     Mr. Price responded, that most people seem to best remember him as the crazed guy at the lever in "The Pit And The Pendulum", laughing maniacally as the blade swings over his helpless victim. But, as for himself, he would have to say his personal favorite horror roll was "The Abominable Doctor Phibes". He went on to explain that he had come into films well into the sound era, so he had completely missed out on the silent movie era where it was important to "emote", or exaggerate for the camera to make your character understood, an acting "style" that he had always longed to try on film. The character of Dr. Phibes aforded him this chance.
     As you may recall from the film, Dr. Phibes must use a sort of speaking apparatus (the victrola thing he plugs into his neck) to enable him to speak due to his injuries, so his character never moves his lips. Only his throat moves a bit when lines are given. Mr. Price explained that in order to make the character of Phibes work, he had to use the same "emoting" techniques (eyes and posture) as were used by actors during the silent film era. He would "facially act" the lines of Phibes, and later the soundtrack of Phibe's stumbling speech (as spoken by Price) would be dubbed in, so he had to "think" his lines as he acted, or responded to the other actors, all the while making the small swallowing movements with his throat to show that something was happening in his throat to make the sound of his character's voice.... a subtle, but important little nuance to make Phibes all the more real.
     And in perfect Price style, he ended his lecture by reading Edger Allen Poe's "The Raven"... with that, I am certain that he made a couple of hundred people's night, as no one else before, or even since, can deliver lines by Poe with that kind of flourish and style. This was the genius of Vincent Price... and like many fans of the late, late movies... he is very much missed.
garv
New Visitor

« Reply #32 on: January 23, 2007, 12:22:59 AM »

When you walk into my house, the first thing you see is the "Love means never having to say you're ugly" poster for The Abominable Dr. Phibes. 

No horror film ever captured my imagination in the way this one did.  After growing up on a steady diet of lumbering monsters in the Universal horrors, Phibes was a revelation.  Not only did Dr. Anton Phibes possess a Rube Goldbergian genius for dispatching his victims, he was actually the romantic hero of Abominable and its sequel. 

I remember running home from school in order to catch the yearly Halloween broadcast of The Abominable Dr. Phibes before it started, and I was a lazy kid.  This was the only time I remember running.
Price is Right
« Reply #33 on: December 16, 2007, 01:30:53 AM »

I absolutely LOVE Vincent Price. Quite tall, and dashing in his younger days, a good-looking guy with blue eyes to rival Paul Newman's. And his sense of humor is great.
This movie is so much fun to watch...I always catch it on TV when it's shown.
The way everyone plays it with a straight face only adds to the comedic value.
An unforgettable black comedy that I highly recommend.
Yes, we miss Vincent, and are lucky enough to have his movies on tape/dvd.
For another rollicking good time, check out "Theatre of Blood." The line "two poodles, two pies" has stuck with me since I saw it in the theatre.

RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

"Charlie,we're in HELL!"-"yeah,ain't it groovy?!"

« Reply #34 on: December 16, 2007, 07:49:01 AM »

Price is Right....great moniker! I agree the Phibes movies and THEATER Of BLOOD are my favorite Price movies as well. Vinny is truly in the top horror film actors of all time...along with the 2 Chaneys,Karloff,Lugosi,Lorre,Lee and Cushing . In fact...anything he's in is worth watching! I saw DR.PHIBES RISES AGAIN as a kid back in the 70's...a treasured movie memory!  Thumbup

"Supernatural?...perhaps. Baloney?...Perhaps not!" Bela Lugosi-the BLACK CAT (1934)
Interviewer-"Does Dracula ever end for you?
Lugosi-"No. Dracula-never ends."

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
https://www.tumblr.com/ronmerchant
Troy
« Reply #35 on: August 02, 2008, 10:17:37 AM »

Ever heard of "The Shadow of Fu Manchu"?  This is hilarious in being a direct duplicate of it, in the beginning at least. The reverend is Fu Manchu, Trout that detective dude who the radio drama follows.

Fu Manchu:
http://www.archive.org/details/FuManchuOTRKIBM
Bones
« Reply #36 on: January 18, 2010, 02:37:11 AM »

This isn't a so bad it's funny movie, I laughed once at that whole amusing opening bat scene, they are actually flying foxes and quite cute (I have mates who look after injured flying foxes).
This movie is actually pretty engaging on its own merits. It's all about waiting for the next imaginative kill. I enjoyed this movie and all the serious acted sillyness. Just don't expect this to dish out the laughs like say Starcrash.
ChiePet
New Visitor

« Reply #37 on: May 24, 2010, 10:52:39 AM »

I actually don't consider this a B-Movie, at least not in the traditional sense.   It's a classic to me.  It's also one of Price's best in my honest opinion.  I haven't seen the sequel, I've been unable to find a copy.   Bluesad  Also, I can't believe I didn't realize this despite it being so blatant and also including the fact that I'm a "Saw" fan, but Kadath (my husband) was the one who had pointed out that there is no way in hell Phibes' death of the first born son attempt didn't inspire the "Saw" films in some manner.  I can't believe it took me 5 times and my husband to make me notice that.  Haha.
Kampfgruppe Cottrell
« Reply #38 on: January 19, 2011, 02:44:53 PM »

The grasshopper death scared me for life!

Brian
alandhopewell
A NorthCoaster In Texas
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

Hey....white women were in season.

« Reply #39 on: December 31, 2011, 01:53:37 PM »

There's Vincent Price, then there's VINCENT PRICE....PHIBES is all about the latter. No actor in the post-WWII period could lick the paint off the flats like Ol' Vinnie, and he's a sheer joy to behold in this, and the sequel, not to mention THEATER OF BLOOD.

Vulnavia ain't so bad, either.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2011, 01:56:06 PM by alandhopewell » Logged

If it's true what they say, that GOD created us in His image, then why should we not love creating, and why should we not continue to do so, as carefully and ethically as we can, on whatever scale we're capable of?

The choice is simple; refuse to create, and refuse to grow, or build, with care and love.
Trevor
Uncle Zombie and Eminent Shitologist
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #40 on: February 20, 2014, 01:24:37 AM »

It is possible (I will have to check) but I think this was another film banned in the old South Africa - that is, prior to 1994's democracy. The sequel may also have been banned.  Thumbdown

I know I can make it on my own if I try, but I'm searching for the Great Heart
To stand me by, underneath the African sky
A Great Heart to stand me by.
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Information Exchange  |  Reader Comments  |  The Abominable Dr. Phibes « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.