Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 11:15:37 AM
714470 Posts in 53097 Topics by 7743 Members
Latest Member: medikam
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Information Exchange  |  Reader Comments  |  Night of the Living Dead « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
Author Topic: Night of the Living Dead  (Read 69348 times)
Private Joker
« on: November 25, 2006, 04:09:49 PM »

Good for a zombie flick, pretty mild.  Can't understand why blockbuster put a Youth Restricted Viewing sticker on it, though....

Dawn of the Dead looks good.  Can't wait to see it.  But I'm surprised that Ebert gave it ??4 STARS OUT OF 4??
tyler
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2000, 01:49:24 PM »

This was one of the first movies that really scared me.  The first time I saw it was at noon and it still scared the crap out of me.  Kick ass!
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2000, 04:50:26 PM »

The first movie to start off Romero's Dead Trilogy. My favorite out of the three is Day of the Dead, which probaly everyone would disagree with as to being their pick. The first zombie movie to feature gore. I really liked this movie and the 1990 remake. One of the few remakes that was actually pretty good.
Max Levin
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2000, 11:24:27 AM »

This is a firsclass SUCKASS!!! I remember it was the second dead film I saw. The first one was actually the -90 remake! Anyway, it sucks, and I too think that Day of the dead is the best one of them all! You should review that one Andrew! But I suspect youŽll give that one bad critic like everyone else...
I can add to this comment that IŽve seen the whole "dead" series and I, yet, canŽt figure out why everybody prefer Dawn of the dead...
Sleff
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2000, 12:38:57 AM »

I've watched this movie at least a hundred times, and it just keeps getting better. My all time favorite viewing situation was explaining the cause of the zombie plague to an inebriated friend who just couldn't understand "radiation from space" as a motivational factor in the dead walking around.
The very first time I saw this one, I was five years old. My older sister forced me to watch every last bit, and I had nightmares for years afterwards. Parents, take note..if you want your kids to end up warped beyond any hope of psychological intervention, try this one on for size.
Cullen
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2000, 01:30:43 AM »

One of the greatest horror movies of all time, and it only gets four slimes!  I don't know, man, I really don't... :)

I have never finished watching this movie myself.  Far too intense for my blood.  I did see the remake (all the way through, which is all that needs to be said.)
Paul Westbrook
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2000, 10:11:16 AM »

Wow! My favorite late night horror film feature is now listed on this site. There's a lot I can say about Night of the Living Dead. This movie is a classic in every sense of the word. The original inovator of zombie violence, the debut of the walking dead. Probably,the scene I most recall best, is the classic opening scene in the cemetery, where Johnny, the heroine's brother is killed by a zombie(He later becomes one.)My favorite line:"They're coming to get you Barbara"! Forget the remake, this Night of the Living Dead rules.
Tony
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2000, 06:52:27 AM »

Quite possibly the scariest movie ever made in my opinion! I first saw this back when I was around 5 years old at a drive-in theator my parents used to go to regularly. Yes, my mom and dad were very big horror fans and they did not mind taking me and my sister to see these kinds of movies, even tho it was probably not the best idea at the time. But suffice to say, I literally cried like a baby that first time I saw it! I actually thought what I was seeing was true and happening at that very moment. I also remember having some very bad nightmares for weeks after that night, where all I would see were zombies out to get me! I really don't blame my parents for what happened, cuz they didn't expect the movie to be so terrifying. But what do you expect with a title like that, a comedy? This is probably the best movie of its kind even tho by today's standards its very low-budget, but after all thats what it was made on. George A. Romero sure didn't know what a phenomenon he created by making this movie! All the zombie lovers out there owe it all to him. Even tho I'm an adult now this movie still manages to scare me s**tless! I dare anybody out there to watch this movie late at night and all alone! I guarrantee you will never be the same! LONG LIVE NIGHT OF THE LIVING DEAD!!!
Daniel
« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2006, 04:09:49 PM »

I didn't care much for this film when my brother rented it. So I didn't watch it but my brother and sister did. A couple of months later my brother bought a used copy of the movie on DVD. I watched it. My honest opinion? I LOVED IT!!! Even if you hate it, you thank George Romero for making it. Why? Very simple. Without Night of The Living Dead, there would be no Return of The Living Dead, Dead Alive and even the hit video game Resident Evil. I only have three reasons why this film deserves respect and it's already enough! I think this movie should have 5 drops intead of 4. I recommend this film to anybody who wants watch a entertaining horro film.
bloodandivory
« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2006, 04:10:12 PM »

Thing "I" Learned From This Film...

Every farmhouse has numerous boxes of 2 to 3 inch nails  and many hammer substitues handy.

Okay, I love this movie...it is a total classic... and, incidentally, it is the first film that featured a black actor in a role not specifically calling for a particular race.  I think that's pretty cool!

Most of the actors here weren't professionals, and neither were the makers, really, but they managed to create a fantastic movie that works, not only as a horror film, but as a keen social commentary.

Image Ten, listed as the production co., was so called because G. Romero found 10 people who'd contribute 1,000 dollars a piece to make the film.  Some of the backers actually appeared as zombies in the film!  I know of at least one who did, anyway.

Turns out old George R. went over budget... he spent a max of 16,000 dollars.  Given the revenue this film has taken in, it beats any other film in American history for income vs. cash outlay.

Whatever its flaws, I think it is a landmark film and a brilliant one.  The focus (not on what caused the disaster, but how humans relate and deal with it) was ahead of its time and wonderfully rendered.  The bleak outlook on human nature is more horrific than the zombies.

I first saw it in '71 (I was six years old, but my parents are like that -  no sex, but all the horror I could handle) and I remember it clearly from that first viewing.  I've loved it ever since. Though I enjoyed the remake, and sort of appreciated Barbara's more active role, the original is still alright with me!  Five Stars!
Steve
« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2006, 04:09:49 PM »

Night of The living Dead - a cult classic, agreed. I'm afraid I must disillusion chaplin889'hotmail.com (Paul Westbrook)It isn't the debut of the walking dead - that (dubious) honour belongs to us Brits. Hammer films made Plague Of The Zombies in 1965. It also includes the first zombie decapitation!
master_d_68
« Reply #11 on: November 25, 2006, 04:09:49 PM »

I remember renting this movie for free at the local library when I was maybe 9 or 10. I popped it in, and laughed my ass off! The nude zombie invoked a couple of rewinds, but the ending came as a shock, I remember getting p**sed off at it, and kept rewinding it to make sure what I saw actually happened and I kept yelling at the mob to look closer at the silouette in the window. Depressed, I went to bed, but I discovered I couldn't. This movie, that I had dismissed as an unintentionally hilarious piece of shock grew scary as the night arrived. Memories of the little girl killing her parents, and Ben trapped in the cellar below a bunch of angry, hungry zombies, why didn't they open the door? What if they did? This movie was the scariest movie I had ever seen, and it still is. God bless you George Romero for my bouts with insomnia.
John Peterson
« Reply #12 on: November 25, 2006, 04:09:49 PM »

It's hard to believe that this classic movie is on the badmovies.org site.

However, the 30th anniversary edition that John Russo is responsible for DESERVES to be at the very top because it stinks to high heaven.

What a way to cheapen a legacy. Thanks a lot, John, Russ Streiner, Bill Hinzman, and Karl Hardman. You guys should have known better.

And thanks, Scott Vladimir Licina for taking a perfect score (a library one, to boot) and substituting an anemic one. What a dude. Not to mention your acting (non)ability.

And a Big thank you to George Romero for having the common sense NOT to take part with the 30th anniversary edition.

Thank you for letting me vent.
Matt
« Reply #13 on: May 29, 2001, 05:18:30 PM »

I saw this film when I was still in high school! It was played on TV, at around Midnight! I was at a friends house and I had to walk home afterwards! Down this dark road, and nothing but woods around! I was really scared! This movie was low budget but delivered big! I remember during the show the network kept flashing a banner at the bottom of the screen: THIS IS ONLY A DRAMATIZATION! And lastly this show should only be seen in the original B/W. Format! It really adds to the eerie mood!
Jimmy Wadd
« Reply #14 on: June 24, 2001, 10:39:54 AM »

Nobody seems to realize that Harry was right.  The basement was indeed the safest place.  Ben got exactly what he deserved, the overbearing bastard.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Information Exchange  |  Reader Comments  |  Night of the Living Dead « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.