Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 19, 2024, 06:20:18 AM
712927 Posts in 53040 Topics by 7722 Members
Latest Member: GenevaBarr
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Information Exchange  |  Reader Comments  |  Flash Gordon (1980) « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5
Author Topic: Flash Gordon (1980)  (Read 124873 times)
General Veers
« Reply #15 on: November 25, 2006, 04:10:12 PM »

"Star Wars" has not aged well? Yeah, that's a good one! Aside from the lame script, bad acting and HORRIBLE effects, other than that, "Flash Gordon" is just fine....
 Although something tells me it's never getting any Oscar noms, several re-releases, two successful sequels and three prequels.
 Trashing one beloved classic in the defense of this campy heap is stupid so don't go any further.
Dano
« Reply #16 on: November 25, 2006, 04:10:12 PM »

I notice a lot of comparisons with Star Wars here.  Does anyone know what these two movies have in common?  Check out Zarkoff's assistant...  That's Porkins!  You know, the morbidly obese X-wing fighter pilot who dies bravely in the Battle of Yavin at the end of Star Wars?  I saw Flash when I was 10 or 11 in the theater and walked out of there thinking to myself: "That was the most realistic movie I have ever seen in my entire life."  Viewing it now shows me just how dumb 10 or 11 year olds are.  Still, I'll watch this movie any time it comes on.  Being a Jet fan, I also know the obvious comparisons between Flash - the golden-boy fictional QB of the Jets - and Richard Todd - the golden-boy REAL QB of the Jets... Let's just say I would rather have had Flash.
mr.noname
« Reply #17 on: April 10, 2001, 12:45:28 PM »

FLASH!AH-AH!SAVIOUR OF THE UNIVERSE!Had one of those catchy soundtracks like Ghostbusters and Transformers.It had many well known actors (Who the hell is Sam Jones?Ive only seen him in this film and was his voiced dubbed?)The special effects were silly but movies arent about effects.Overall I think it was a fun movie.If you see it on Channel 5 tape it!(Channel 5 home of the cheesiest movies!)
Brad Wilkinson
« Reply #18 on: November 25, 2006, 04:09:49 PM »

This film was on TV in the UK yesterday so it's very fresh in my mind and I'm with those who think it's hugely enjoyable. It was obviously meant to cash on on the huge interest in Sci Fi post Star Wars but it's far better than stuff like Battlestar Galactica and the Black Hole which also tried to do the same.

It's a wonderful film for cameo spotting; in one scene alone you get a future James Bond, the creator of the Rocky Horror Show, a British children's TV presenter, and the playwright who wrote look back in Anger and played the villain in the original Get Carter. Klytus is played by Peter Wyngarde who was Jason King in the cult British TV series Department S (and its spin off). Brian Blessed is one of the World 's Great Overactors (although he can do subtle occasionally) and as well as the appearances noted above provided one of the voices for one of the aliens in the Phantom Menace. Reportedly back in the 70s George Lucas actually wanted to make a Flash Gordon movie but couldn't get the rights so decided to make up his own story.
ChrisB
« Reply #19 on: April 19, 2001, 04:50:14 AM »

Despite appearances this is actually a big-budget effort. A lot of work went into some of the set designs, costumes and the action is relatively well-staged. The music is outstanding and helps to carry the film, which rarely slows its pace for a moment.
Josie
« Reply #20 on: November 25, 2006, 04:09:49 PM »

The first thing I want to say about this movie is that you have to see it to believe it... but that's not quite true.  I just saw the damn thing, and I <i>still</i> don't believe it.
Joan Stout
« Reply #21 on: November 25, 2006, 04:09:03 PM »

Brilliant film - the highlight of which was Peter Wyngarde as Klytus.

If you want to know more about this legendary actor, he has an Official Website at: www.hermes58.freeserve.co.uk
lostmissy
« Reply #22 on: November 25, 2006, 04:10:12 PM »

ohmygod so much budget, so little movie..give Mr Corman this
much money and we could have had 10 bad movies that would be better then this tripe. "camp" means an intent to overact (see rocky horror) not bad actors saying bad dialogue in a dead serious way(oh flash!) The only redeeming feature of this movie is that when you rewind the tape, it clearly states "paul is dead" . Or something to that affect, I was face down in the carpet and comatose by that time.  
Gareth
« Reply #23 on: June 24, 2002, 02:53:53 AM »

Brian Blessed. A prince among men.
Val
« Reply #24 on: November 25, 2006, 04:09:49 PM »

Flash Gordon was the first movie I ever saw with a date...Maybe that's not something to be proud of, but I was the chick who exists somewhere in EVERY school who likes sword and sorcery and bad movies.  Flash filled the bill!
THe Congo Kid
« Reply #25 on: August 17, 2003, 08:43:38 PM »

I just saw this movie on WB for what has to be the 15th time.  I still laugh my ass off every time I hear the theme song by Queen.  Freddy Mercury probably wanted to shoot himself in the head after he made that one.
Peter Cooper
« Reply #26 on: November 25, 2006, 04:09:49 PM »

You missed the main quote:

FLASH!! FLASH I LOVE YOU, BUT WE'VE ONLY GOT 14 HOURS TO SAVE THE EARTH!!!

This makes the film!

Peter
Elphie
« Reply #27 on: November 25, 2006, 04:10:12 PM »

My boyfriend loves this movie, so i watched it for his sake...all   I can say is OH GOD. Sections of this movie are so campy and goofy that they're great, others are interminable. it looks like they filmed what I saw when I was on nitrous oxide having my wisdom teeth out becasue it's
trippy and full of pain. I liked Dr.Zarkov's speech about recting Beatles lyrics to escape the memory drain and the theme song the best(Freddie Mercury 4 ever!) The hawkmen's flying sucks, and Dale's outfits make her look like a drag queen. the ending is....Jeez, it's not even an ending!

and what its "Hot Hail", exactly?
RedFlare
« Reply #28 on: January 07, 2002, 11:34:12 PM »

An incredibly sexy movie for one that was rated PG!   Sam Jones is incredibly hot as Flash.  His nearly naked body hanging in the dungeon scene still gets me going!  
Orion
« Reply #29 on: January 08, 2002, 05:17:36 PM »

It was a schlocky movie, but you got to admit the pinball game they made as a tie-in was pretty decent.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Information Exchange  |  Reader Comments  |  Flash Gordon (1980) « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.