Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 19, 2024, 04:57:17 AM
712926 Posts in 53040 Topics by 7722 Members
Latest Member: GenevaBarr
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Information Exchange  |  Reader Comments  |  Battle Royale « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Battle Royale  (Read 22558 times)
Andrew
Administrator
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

I know where my towel is.

« on: January 14, 2009, 10:48:11 AM »

Guest review by Jimmi Campkin.  A class of misbehaved Japanese students are given random weapons and turned loose on an island to play "last Japanese schoolgirl standing."

Andrew Borntreger
Badmovies.org
Doggett
Bustin' makes me feel good !

I've seen things you people couldn't imagine...

« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2009, 01:03:44 PM »

Love this film  Smile

If God exists, why did he make me an atheist? Thats His first mistake.
InformationGeek
Leader of the Friends' for Info
B-Movie Site Webmaster

Let's all be Friends.

« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2009, 01:18:09 PM »

Man, this is quite a violent series.  I watch it, but I'm not fan of gory movies.  I read the manga, but the same thing applies.  Sadly, I'm going to have to revert to reading the novel to get a real taste for the series.

We live in quite an interesting age. You can tell someone's sexual orientation and level of education from just their interests.
BTM

« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2009, 03:40:27 PM »

>Kiriyama - Cold blooded, smartly dressed, completely mute killer.

Wait, are you sure about this?  If he's the character I'm thinking of (psycho with a shotgun) he does say something at the beginning when they're picking out bags.  He says he got the "wrong one" and trades it for another, perhaps providing yet another clue that the game (at least this particular round) is rigged.

Anyway, awesome movie all around, although the plot was several holes in it.  Granted, dunno, if those are holes as much as just stuff related to Japanese culture I don't understand, but here's some thoughts (most of these have already been pointed out by other people, so I can't claim ownership of them):

1. Point of the game seems to be population control and to curb out of control student behavior, yet the classes are (supposedly) randomly chosen.  

The hell?  Wouldn't it make more sense to choose the WORST class?  Not a random one?  Granted, unless the population control is more important...

2. Again to point one, game is supposed to curve bad behavior, but it seems like NONE Of the students know about it.  Hey, according to the book, they've heard of the "Battle Royale" but they don't know the details.  Again, how the hell is this going to curb bad behavior if you don't tell people about it?

For that matter, how can they NOT know about it, when the winner of the game is BROADCAST on TV?  What, they just say, "Okay, this girl won Battle Royale!  We can't tell exactly how she won, or even what it consists of, but we assure you, winning is a big deal!"

On a satirical note, I gotta say, "Japanese teachers are WUSSIES!"  They're showing how "bad" the schools are by having a teacher show up to find his entire class have skipped for that day, and then some guy stabs him in the leg, causing such a grievous injury he's able to hobble on over to a drinking fountain and clean the wound.

Granted, I know in a country that's culturally taught to revere old people this is probably tantamount to blasphemy, but come on!  In a lot of inner city school this would be considered "mild antics".

But again, all quibbles aside, it's an awesome film!  :)
« Last Edit: August 12, 2010, 02:28:44 AM by BTM » Logged

"Some people mature, some just get older." -Andrew Vachss
Lurple
Dedicated Viewer

« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2009, 05:55:04 PM »

I love this movie. The English translation of the book is also very entertaining- if you're into reading I suggest giving it a shot. And for the sake of your sanity, skip the sequel unless you're writing a review for this site. It's really, really bad.
Torgo

« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2009, 06:09:12 PM »

This is a great film.  The sequel however was complete crap IMO.

"There is no way out of here. It'll be dark soon. There is no way out of here."
Doggett
Bustin' makes me feel good !

I've seen things you people couldn't imagine...

« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2009, 11:27:21 AM »

This is a great film.  The sequel however was complete crap IMO.

Ain't that the truth....

If God exists, why did he make me an atheist? Thats His first mistake.
Andrew
Administrator

I know where my towel is.

« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2009, 12:01:31 PM »

I also think that this is a great film.  On one hand, it is a festival of brutal violence, among a group of students who have spent years together in school.  One the other hand, it tries to make some statements about how young adults interact with each other and with adults. 

In times past, I have thought about high school and my classmates.  We spent all those years together learning how to be people, how to treat each other, and how to deal with conflicts with others.  It's not a lot of fun learning to be a person through trial and error, and it's not a lot of fun being the other party involved.

Still, all of us made it.  In some way, who I am today was influenced by my classmates - good, bad - we all taught each other something.

This is what I found so interesting about the movie, the social connections (or burned bridges) and individual personalities that made them do what they wanted.  Some of the students rebelled against the adults who put them in this situation, some of them refused to deal with it, some killed out of fear of the others, some did it because they were going to survive by following the rules, and a small number seemed like they had been hoping for an excuse to kill the rest.

2. Again to point one, game is supposed to curve bad behavior, but it seems like NONE Of the students know about it.  Hey, according to the book, they've heard of the "Battle Royale" but they don't know the details.  Again, how the hell is this going to curb bad behavior if you don't tell people about it?

Did the students not know about it, or was it more along the lines of how some people think about death or other accidents.  "It won't happen to me."  I don't think that the film gave us enough to go on to decide.  The fact that the students are so clueless about Battle Royale could also be intentional.  It could be there to show the massive disconnect between adult society's expectations of the students, and what the students know is expected of them.  "OK.  I'm supposed to do homework.  That's my job.  I don't know why it matters, or why school matters, but it's what the adults want me to do."

Andrew Borntreger
Badmovies.org
jimmicampkin
Dedicated Viewer

« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2009, 04:09:11 PM »

>Kiriyama - Cold blooded, smartly dressed, completely mute killer.

Wait, are you sure about this?  If he's the character I'm thinking of (psycho with a shotgun) he does say something at the beginning when they're picking out bags.  He says he got the "wrong one" and trades it for another, perhaps providing yet another clue that the game (at least this particular round) is rigged.

No, that is Kawada you are thinking of.  Although, granted, he is also in a suit at the beginning of the game. 
asimpson2006
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2009, 09:04:19 AM »

One of my favorite films.  While I like the film a lot the book is better overall.  It gives more in depth as to how and why some of the people act the way they do.  The book is long but it's a well worth reading.
InformationGeek
Leader of the Friends' for Info
B-Movie Site Webmaster

Let's all be Friends.

« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2009, 01:12:58 PM »

One of my favorite films.  While I like the film a lot the book is better overall.  It gives more in depth as to how and why some of the people act the way they do.  The book is long but it's a well worth reading.

True, however, the manga is even longer and has even much more depth to it.

We live in quite an interesting age. You can tell someone's sexual orientation and level of education from just their interests.
ZombieGiff
New Visitor

« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2009, 09:26:42 PM »

Is any part of this movie in Black and white?  I went to a SKA show last year and one of the bands that opened up for Less Than Jake was playing "bad movie" clips on the screen behind the stage.  I think this movie was the one film I did not recognize.  It sounds like this film and the screen shots look similar but I thought it was in Black and white.  The other clips were from the Brain that wouldn't Die and Marihuana.   It was a fun show.  Another SKA band that plays "bad movies" during all of their shows is the Aquabats!  It is fun but I find it distracting though as I start watching the film clips and try to figure out what movies they are from.  They also usually bring out a person wearing a foam "monster" costume straight out of a 1950's B-movie and they fight them as part of the show.  Great band.

I have been surfing Badmovies.org for about 9 or 10 years,  It's about time I joined.

I watch only the Excellent or Excrement, nothing in between.
dave
« Reply #12 on: August 12, 2010, 12:45:04 AM »

love it muchiiee Thumbup
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Information Exchange  |  Reader Comments  |  Battle Royale « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.