Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 19, 2024, 02:31:07 AM
712922 Posts in 53040 Topics by 7722 Members
Latest Member: GenevaBarr
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Information Exchange  |  Reader Comments  |  Megaforce « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
Author Topic: Megaforce  (Read 74022 times)
Scott
« on: November 25, 2006, 04:09:49 PM »

I'm waiting for the musical directors cut to be released...no wait, I'll just turn the volume down and play a Pink Floyd CD...that will be cheaper an make a lot more sense.

I saw this film ages ago and only recall the flying mopeds...er motercycles with any real clarity....

It would be frightening to think that this would be the future of our millitary...the blue silk bandannas would have to go.
alan-smithee
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2006, 04:10:12 PM »

My friends and I rented this hilarious cinematic turd the other night for our weekly "Bad-Movie-Night". I don't remember laughing this hard at a bad movie as I did watching Megaforce. The scene near the end where Ace Hunter takes off on his flying bike towards his getaway plane had my friend and I laughing until I couldn't hardly breathe. The worst blue screen effects that I think I've ever seen and that's saying quite a lot.

LONG LIVE ACE HUNTER!!!  
Travis Bickle
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2006, 04:10:12 PM »

Has everyone overlooked the fact that MegaForce is simply a cinematic study of early 80s gay culture in America?!
I mean, c'mon, skin-type jumpsuits, powder-blue silk bandannas, hundreds of men living underground (no chicks), motorbikes that emit rainbow-coloured exhaust (!!) etc.  Hell, Ace flys a rainbow parachute for christ's sakes!!!!!!  And watch Sugar Ray Leonard (the black dude with the Walkman) closely; He is obviously tortured by his unrequited "love" for Ace.  Observe Dallas--the gay cowboy--and Ace talking about big dicks ("it was THIS long, and THIS big around!") cleverly disguised, of course, within their conversation about the snake.
MegaForce successfully introduced American homosexuality into mainstream cineplexes years before TOP GUN did the same, and for that, it should be recognized as the most influential gay film of the 1980s.
Don M
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2006, 04:10:12 PM »

As well as having a 105mm cannon shell punch a hole in your aircraft is known as a "malfunction." there was the trick of changing the C130s to a DC3 in the close up shots..)But with that said I still get a kick out of this flick...)
AlphaWoolf
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2006, 04:09:49 PM »

I'm ashamed to admit that I paid money to see this at the theatre when it was released.  I'm soooo sorry!  Really, I was only 16, I didn't know better!  Please forgive me for helping line Hal Needham's pockets!

I was wise enough even at that age to hate this movie, though.  This movie represents the hill-billy view of world politics.  Dumb, dumb, dumb.  But I paid to see it - what does that say about me?  Argh!

P.S. - I paid to see Cannonball! too... oh the shame!
c. n. warwick
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2006, 04:10:12 PM »

ace frehleys "calling out to you"  was a re-release of the song.  if you think it's the other way around, just look at when the movie was released vs the remake of the song.  IF YOU ARE LOOKING FOR A COPY OF THIS MOVIE, OR THE SOUNDTRACK, CONTACT  catslair2000@2yahoo.com   THEY HAVE ALMOST EVERYTHING!  imagine if they re- made this, only dropped the PG style of the original!  that is why everyone thinks this movie is so campy.  it was made as a CHILDREN'S MOVIE!!!!  even so, the vehicles were exellently designed! in a few years, CGI will be advanced enough to recreate the original look of HUNTER (young barry bostwick) as if he were REAL!  
Greg Scavezze
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2006, 04:09:49 PM »

Weren't those motorcycles the same ones used in the Battlestar Galactica movie where they discover Earth?  They both had the same coloring and they both fly!!!  I think I am seeing reused props here!!!!
Canadaphile
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2006, 04:09:49 PM »

Barry Bostwick made the movie as far as I'm concerned.  That jumpsuit was so tight you could tell what religion he was.  Gold lame or not, the man was hot.
Ken Begg
« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2006, 04:09:49 PM »

I feel I must point out that Andrew's explanation of MegaForce being A Cold War creation of the world's free nations makes too much sense.  Apparently  fearful of appearing 'jingoistic,' the filmmakers make sure we know that the Soviets are one of the founders of the group.  There is, as I recall, a stereotyped Russian member of the corps, while Soviet weaponry is included in the bay that contains, as we're told, equipment provided by MegaForce's sponsor states.

Man, this flick *really* sucks the big one.  
Squishy
« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2006, 04:10:12 PM »

The scene toward the end that almost injured Andrew internally is also a vital part of the end credits experience. The eighteen or so people who actually saw this in the theatres must've scrambled to find their unhinged jaws on the sticky cineplex floor. Andrew didn't have enough room to scratch the surface of this movie's wretched, wretched awfulness. Armies fighting in gold la'me jumpsuits? "War-bikes" that emit individually colored smoke trails? Persis Khambatta? Hal Needham should've been entombed alive in concrete for this. Maybe he was.
Chadzilla
« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2000, 02:23:03 PM »

I cannot believe I have lived this long and not seen this movie!  Hal Needham is a GENIUS!
Matt
« Reply #11 on: November 25, 2006, 04:10:12 PM »

Actually, they were fighting the spread of communism.  The Russian equipment wasn't donated, it was *stolen*.  Captured by Megaforce to be researched and used against the Soviets.  Unfortunately, the real life elements in the movie that were accurate, such as soviet advisors to 3rd world nation "client states" were buried under tons of bad writing, directing and filmmaking.

As for me, I still enjoy the movie - I was 13 when it came out, and part of me still is - long live bad movies!
Erik
« Reply #12 on: November 25, 2006, 04:10:12 PM »

I came in hoping to find some good soundbites (I work in radio) and instead find out that the Megaforce theme song is almost identical to "Calling To You" by Ace Frehley, released on his "Frehley's Comet" album about 1986. Anyone care to comment on this or where the film might be acquired, or at least the credits list?
Kevin Maloney
« Reply #13 on: November 25, 2006, 04:09:03 PM »

This movie is the very best of the worst! I have seen it something like 60 odd times since I was 5 and recently found a copy of it. This movie is a must see in that the action is cool and the vehicles bad ass and the acting misrable god I wish their was a dvd...
British
« Reply #14 on: November 25, 2006, 04:10:12 PM »

If I recall correctly, at the very end, gurerra actually cheers on the Megaforce even though gurerra defeated him! What gives? If Joel Hodgson were there, he would have responded "War IS fun!"

Believe it or not, an Atari 2600 game of Megaforce existed.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Information Exchange  |  Reader Comments  |  Megaforce « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.