Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 19, 2024, 04:07:16 AM
712925 Posts in 53040 Topics by 7722 Members
Latest Member: GenevaBarr
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Information Exchange  |  Reader Comments  |  Planet of the Apes « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Planet of the Apes  (Read 53714 times)
vinegaroon
« on: November 12, 2001, 02:26:19 PM »

Charlton Heston must have an ass like no other. This movie got a G rating and he still was able to show it. Ahh, the early days of the rating system.
johnny boy
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2006, 04:09:49 PM »

Oooooppps.. Incredible Film. The violence and the eerie feeling runs rampant in a movie I first saw as a young child, when it scared the schitty out of me. I can't wait for the alleged Tim Burton remake.

BoyScoutKevin
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2006, 04:09:03 PM »

A second to the opinion that this is an incredible film. Not
only did it give rise to a alleged Tim Burton remake, but also a short-lived television series and four sequels. Any
chance of anyone doing a review of the sequels.
Georgiann
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2006, 04:10:12 PM »

Actually I think this one is excellent, aside from the fact that it stars Charlton Heston, who I admit I can't stand personally, and who looks a lot mangier and smellier than the primates he accuses of being "damned dirty apes".  Roddy McDowall, Kim Hunter and Maurice Evans are all great, though, and inject some welcome ironic humor into the situation.  
Nova
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2006, 04:09:49 PM »

You gotta love this film. It's got B movie elements to it but it's better than many of todays sci-fi's with multi billion dollar special effects and so called actors being paid billions to do a lame ass job. It's in the writing, which is above average and the concept is so nutty it's amuzing. It looks dated but it still works because of the dark and depressing mood it creates, kind of a future neolithic look to it. It's a scifi classic and no one will doubt it, not up there with 2001 or Bladerunner or Starwars but amongst the scifi movies it's one of the most fun. It's really a dark look at how technology can ruin a guys day, Taylor's in this case. Technology = bad = Taylor = humans violent nature...so it's better to live withouth appliances and move to the country away from the city and radiation. Quakers haven't been prouder.....Damn you all to hell!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
josh
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2006, 04:10:12 PM »

a friend of mine pointed this out, and i snagged the audio and slowed it down to prove him right.  he's not saying "madhouse".  he's saying "man hose".  so that goes from weird and random to just random and lame.  still pretty funny though.  
Garrison Hilliard
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2006, 04:09:49 PM »

Although he isn't credited, Rod Serling wrote the bulk of the screenplay for this one, folks!
Dan
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2006, 04:10:12 PM »

"Take your stinking paws off me you damn dirty ape !"- ROCK ON !! The grandfather of all fave early scifi films.Forget the new film and its fancy CGI and big name actors. Gimme Roddy McDowell in a rubber massk any day.
Marcus
« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2001, 01:05:56 AM »

A true classic and a thought provoker...definately worth 5 slimes!
VeganVogon
« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2006, 04:10:12 PM »

I'm wondering just how "B" this movie really is©  It made it to major distribution, it was a fairly big hit, and a lot of the talent working on it was pretty close to A-list©  Don't get me wrong, it's a great flick©  Is it the dated special effects?  Remember: this was pre Star-Wars, and scifi didn't get "Cleopatra" sized budgets©  Well, semantics aside©  It's five out of five no matter how you're rating©  Review the sequels!
lola
« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2006, 04:10:12 PM »

This is one b-movie with a serious and dark message. No, its not that technology is bad, but that intelligence itself is the ultimate corruptor (I suppose that is a hop, skip and a jump away from "its not guns that kill people, its people that kill people"); one of the most true and depressing conclusions ever reached in a film. I would not even consider this a b-movie although the set certainly could have benefited from a little mood lighting.
Swamprat
« Reply #11 on: November 25, 2006, 04:10:12 PM »

Why is this film on a "Bad" movie list? This was a serious little number back in '68. It broke a lot of ground, both in social comment and serious Sci-Fi film. It does have a cheap look about some of the sets...the highly experimental makeup ate up most of the budget...It won a well deserved Oscar. The story was strong and at the time was very shocking. Nobody wanted to hear the details before they saw it...when that first Gorilla on horseback swung around and peered over his shoulder at you it was like getting kicked in the teeth if no one had told you about it before hand. It was only considered a "B" picture because the studio was afraid of the experimental nature of the makeup and refused to sink "serious" money into it. The old farts were afraid they were going to get a fat guy running around in a monkey suit chasing "Moses" through the bushes. I'm no fan of Chuck Heston...He's a scenery chewing larger than life cinamascope megastar. A real over the top melodramatic sappy line shrieking Voice-O-God-arama Mooovie star! (re: rotton actor. 1950s style.) But even Chuck can't blunt the impact this film had nearly 35 years ago. Roddy McDowell was a suberb actor throughout his entire career...and this film is one of his finest performances, and you don't even see his face once. The ending is Hollywood legend. Right up there with Rhett Butler telling Scarlet he doesn't give a damn, and the look on the blind girl's face when she sees for the first time that her friend and protector all this time has been Charlie Chaplin. When compared with todays computer effects, the makeup may seem trite and the whole look of the film my look cheap. Even the story by today's jaded standards may seem mild, if not actually hokie. But this film was one of those that made way for the films of it's kind we see today. Comparing it to a "modern" Sci-Fi film is comparing apples to oranges. We can't fairly compare Robin Williams to Charlie Chaplin, or Star Wars to Forbidden Planet. But one thing's for sure, without the one we wouldn't have ended up with the other. Planet of the Apes is a classic...You can call it a "B" movie...okay...but calling it a "Bad" movie? I love bad films...I love good films...Planet of the Apes is an exceptional film of it's kind. Even with Chuck's overipe delivery of such lines as "TAKE YOUR HANDS OFF ME...YOU DAMNED DIRTY APE!" Tell Him Chuck! Kick his hairy ass! OOOH YEAH! Great movie.
octo
« Reply #12 on: November 25, 2006, 04:09:03 PM »

this is no doubt a CLASSIC boys and girls!!! this is good original sci-fi and i hope everyone will watch it and see how it shines to the remake by tim burton! the sequel opens more of the stroy line but the last 2 installments are PAP!
all i can say is - this film rocks-
Zimri
« Reply #13 on: November 25, 2006, 04:09:49 PM »

Yeah! In this world gone mad, WE won't spank the monkey - the MONKEY will spank US!
DIRTY APE PAWS
« Reply #14 on: November 25, 2006, 04:09:49 PM »

I just watched this after many years and am very surprised about how great it really is. I also rewatched Tim Burton's overblown disaster again and nothing about it is in any way superior to the original.
Pages: [1] 2
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Information Exchange  |  Reader Comments  |  Planet of the Apes « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.