Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 19, 2024, 02:23:52 AM
712922 Posts in 53040 Topics by 7722 Members
Latest Member: GenevaBarr
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Information Exchange  |  Reader Comments  |  Halloween III « previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5
Author Topic: Halloween III  (Read 85398 times)
« Reply #30 on: November 25, 2006, 04:10:12 PM »

Easily the worst of the franchise and quite possible one of the worst horror films out there.
"Zero Stars"
WitchKing
« Reply #31 on: November 25, 2006, 04:10:12 PM »

As a stand-alone film, this works quite well. It's atmospheric, has surprising plot twists, and a frightful premise. The "Halloween" franchise on a whole is unsatisfying because the producers could never seem to agree on a cohesive mythology.  At least the "Nightmare On Elm Street" and "Friday The 13th" series established definitive identities for their maniacs to adhere to.  Freddy Krueger and Jason Vorhees had consistent characters, however one-note they may be.  The "Halloween" series are just all over the map and Myers as a villain is just too prosaic.  He's a bogeyman with no real self behind the mask.  Who can blame the filmmakers for wanting to try something different with a rapidly-tiring idea?  "Halloween 2" was decent but perfunctory.  Parts 4 & 5 were even further down the ladder and by the time we reach the wretched later entries, previous films have been totally disregarded.  There are so many contradictions, revisions, and omissions throughout the franchise that it's all become a jumbled collection of cliches and redundancies.  Michael dies and rises again, killed by any number of resourceful heroines; Laurie is alternately in hiding, deceased, or institutionalized; Michael's jeopardized niece becomes the new menacee only to vanish three films later; and the whole Samhain premise is just a flimsy excuse to make a human menace unkillable.  At least Part 3 tried to shift away from a character that had no real longevity in favor of some actual terror and a compelling Halloween myth.  
Steve
« Reply #32 on: November 25, 2006, 04:10:12 PM »

I actually enjoyed this movie despite its weaknesses. Its far better than the Michael Myers rehash that will never mercifully end. Original idea (bloody horrifying really), surprising twists, great job by Dean Cundy and perhaps John Carpenters best score. The annoying jingle is actually brilliant and representative of marketing at its best (you still cannot forget it can you) and worst.

The Michael Myers complaint is a joke, in fact there was not even supposed to be a Halloween II according to John Carpenter. The first movie went over most peoples head with the supernatural element. Michael Myers was just the name of the body "The Shape" was inhabiting. He was the embodiment of Halloween so to speak. Carpenter was not keen on a sequel at all and i personally wish none of the the Myers sequels were made. Halloween II in my eyes seems to get worse with age while Halloween III improves. The second movie is a by the numbers bore and lacks the spirit of the 1st. They could not even get the mask right in the sequels. Anyways, Halloween III was flawed but brilliant in certain aspects and the best part for me was the score. Spectacular.
George
« Reply #33 on: November 25, 2006, 04:10:12 PM »

I liked "H3" because it was such utter nonsense. How did they get the rock from Stonehenge over here? Hell, how did they even manage to steal it in the first place without setting off a massive worldwide Interpol investigation? Who cares? It's flicks like "H3" that provide a very welcome respite from overrated Oscar winning crappola like "The English Patient". Now that one really sucked! As for the whole "no connection to the other movies" thing, one could argue that "Halloween 6:The Curse Of Michael Myers" contradicts that statement. Simply put, it's the whole Druid aspect of "H6" that ties (albeit loosely) Part 3 with the rest of the series. Speaking of "H6", that would be my choice for the worst entry in the series. It's a very half-assed movie and it's pretty depressing to watch a movie in which the lead actor (i.e. Donald Pleasance) is obviously sick and dying. Barring that aspect, "H6" is still really bad.
Rochester
« Reply #34 on: September 08, 2005, 11:10:09 AM »

The movie might not have been all that great, but it sure was fun! Sept. 8, 2005: 53 more days to Halloween, Halloween Halloween, 53 more days to Halloween, Silver Shamrock!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!11
jmsynth
« Reply #35 on: November 25, 2006, 04:10:12 PM »

Come on, people need to get over the lack of Myers in this movie. There are 7 movies with the guy for crying out loud! Besides Carpenter actually LIKED this one! The idea to do a movie without Myers was mostly his idea. I don't have time to go into details, look it up. At any rate, this film is fun. At the very least its better than "Freddy's Dead" and most of the "Friday the 13th"s. Oh, and no one can convince me it's seriously worse than any of the Halloween movies made since the 80s. H20 was a particular low point, 70 minutes of "Dawson's Creek" 20 minutes of OK, moderately suspensful slasherflick. Thats not what I watch Horror movies for! H3 is much closer to my idea of horror.
Cambot99
« Reply #36 on: November 25, 2006, 04:09:49 PM »

To be perfectly honest, I kinda liked the movie but what really sucked was that Michael Myers wasn't in it. I mean you can't have Hallloween 3 without Michael Myers right? Am I right? Come on, someone back me up on this. But the plot twist was great and the dialogue was okay, but it lacks what the Halloween series is all about.
IT
« Reply #37 on: February 17, 2006, 12:34:00 PM »

A very disapointing mess avoid it just avoid it.
xussia
« Reply #38 on: November 25, 2006, 04:10:12 PM »

Ok. So there is no Michael Myers. So it's a sequel in name only. Its no big deal. HIII - isn't all that bad. So it has a cast of about 9 people - shot in about 4 locations, mostly at night...

What is easy to forget is that this film does have a sense of genuine horror about it. Children are going to die, all for want of a joke and no-one can do anything about it. Or in fact gives a s**t.

The magic, for me anyway, is in the details that are just written off.

The evil irish guy has created perfect killer human replica robots not altogether different from Tyrell in Blade Runner. But he writes them off with a glib:

"The internal components were surprisingly easy - and after that its just another form of mask making."

If only Sony has hired this guy before his Irish crazy gene took hold.

They even stole one of the enourmous slabs of rock from Stone Henge to achieve their mask related mayhem. How? Don't ask...

Why Irish anyway? And why StoneHenge - which as far as I know isn't, and never has been, anything to do with Ireland?

Is an Irish toy/novelty manufacturer (don't forget he INVENTED sticky toilet paper, the dead dwarf gag and the soft chainsaw!) somehow more believeable, or menacing or...  oh forget it, He's Irish OK!

Add to this

1. A hospital with two, maybe three staff on night duty (in the UK, this is nothing new!)
2. A coroner who somehow figures out that the charred remains of a cog mean that a robot automoton with super powers must have pulled someones face off and set themselves on fire.
3. A factory tour that last for two days and nights.
4. A women who drives at least 900 miles to return one mask with one defect.
5. A halloween mask manufacturer who makes only three product types and achieves at least 99% market penetration (SONY... you reading this...)
6. A women's face is exploded by a magic laser in the back of a trademark badge which is activated by scratching it with a hairpin. (I think SOMEONE would have noticed this before the 31st and probably raised some child safety concerns!)
7. A perfect replica of the doctors girlfriend is created in mere minutes - though she lacks the ability to speak.
8. The robot men seem to have gravy for blood.
9. The mad irish guy turns blue and vanishes.
10. The doc manages to convince TV networks that a syndicated advertising campaign that has been running successfully for over a week will somehow emit a signal which will activate the magic trademark laser and kill any child that is wearing one of the masks AND happens to be watching TV at that exact moment.... and they believe him and two out of the three (what TV era is this in the US?) networks stop the advert...

So many things... but when all said and done. There is a great sense of hopelessness. Its ends as good films should end - with the child killing masks being activated by the TV advert - and the Doc screaming to stop it. Alas... it goes on and one can only assume that children all over the US are falling to the floor as their head turns into a variety of garden insects and snakes...

Come on... you can either take this film as it is OR whine and moan that it isn't another DULL slasher movie. And lets face it... if they had of included Mr Myers, it doesn't mean it would actually have been any better anyway...

Johnny Carp didn't direct this one BTW - a common error overlooked by many.. Tommy Lee Wallace did and, for trivia hunters, he PLAYED Mr. Myers in Halloween 1...  so you see, there is a connection.

Good soundtrack too -

Halloween III: season of the witch...

More holes than mechano, acting like thunderbirds.. but for some reason I could't really explain. I love it!

~XUSSIA~

godzillavsdogora
« Reply #39 on: June 22, 2006, 09:56:27 AM »

DEFINATLY not the best in the series. The complete lack of Myers & that stupid song are stomach-churning. However, i do like the same ominous, creepy atmosphere the 1st 2 had.
Torgo
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #40 on: September 04, 2007, 06:19:28 PM »

I absolutely despise this movie. And not for the sole reason that's it a Halloween movie without Michael Myers.

It's just a terrible, terrible film from beginning to end.  Not to mention that it commits the cardinal sin of being boring as hell.   

The acting is atrocious, the pacing nonexistent (beyond leaden), the special effects terrible, the camera hardly moves.  Plus you got that annoying commercial jingle that plays about 8 thousand times during the movie.  Hatred
« Last Edit: September 04, 2007, 08:07:02 PM by Torgo » Logged

"There is no way out of here. It'll be dark soon. There is no way out of here."
Joe the Destroyer
« Reply #41 on: September 08, 2007, 02:33:45 AM »

While I hate this movie, I love the death scenes. 

Come to think of it, there are several movies like that.  I need to condense those down to one DVD. Cheers
Greenhornet
« Reply #42 on: September 08, 2007, 11:40:45 AM »

Halloween III: "Season Of The witch". Now with 100% fewer witches!
Come on, the bad guys were DRUIDS, not WITCHES! That's a point against the movie right there! TongueOut
D-Man
Bad Movie Lover

Only my head is tiny...

« Reply #43 on: September 16, 2007, 09:49:27 PM »

They should have just called it "Season of The Witch", and avoided p**sing so many people off. 

It's an odd, but watchable little film, with some good kills.  The three main problems I have with it, though:

1.  The plot was far fetched, and put together very sloppily. 

2.  The ending.  I understood what they were trying to do, it just felt anti-climactic the way they did it.

3.  Tom Atkins.  He was good in Night of The Creeps, but a film like this just isn't a fit for him.  His emotional range seems to be limited to varieties of p**sed off...even in the love scenes with Ellie, he still looks p**sed off. 
Thee Dr.
« Reply #44 on: October 18, 2008, 05:40:15 AM »

It seems like this film borrowed some elements from the first issue of the 'Vision and the Scarlet Witch' limited series, which also came out in '82...or was it the other way around, perhaps...?
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Information Exchange  |  Reader Comments  |  Halloween III « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.