Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 03:26:40 AM
714431 Posts in 53097 Topics by 7742 Members
Latest Member: KathleneKa
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Information Exchange  |  Reader Comments  |  Silent Night, Deadly Night « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Silent Night, Deadly Night  (Read 42691 times)
Karl Emmett
« on: November 25, 2006, 04:09:49 PM »

This is the very first horror film that ever scared me. I was six years old and I saw the front cover of Santa with an Axe at the local video store. Christmas was a few weeks away and I tried to convince my parents not to let him in the house (gullible kid).

Anyway a number of years later I saw it and thought it was a classic!! HOW can you beat the psychology on display in this film. Parents killed by Santa Claus (Mother Raped by him), Tied up and Beaten by a Nun in an orphanage. Then works in a Toy Store (Where he threatens the kids who sit on his lap) and becomes a mass murderer. Finally he doesn't even kill the one person responsible for most of his problems. Films this nihilistic are never made anymore (not that thats a bad thing). I call it PURE GOLD. A Bo Derek 10 From me.

Having said all this I really would love to see a Film about the real Santa Claus actually coming down the Chimney and killing people (not that I actually would want that to happen in real life, but as a destruction of a popular capitalist consumer age icon it would be a great shock to the social system).

By The way Silent Night, Deadly Night 2 is truly the funniest film ever (Kicks plan 9's ass all over the place in terms of amateur badness), and if Eric Freemans Eyebrow acting wont make you laugh, mother Superiors house design will!!!
tabatha
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2006, 04:10:12 PM »

I first saw this with my parents, and have seen all of them sence. When I got married i rented all of them (not in one night, talking about overload) and I enjoyed them over again. then i noticed a new one out (5?) not sure which number and just had to get it.
all in all was a good movie, really enjoy these "bad"movies.
john
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2006, 04:09:49 PM »

I use to rent this movie all the time and chopping mall! I bought Silent Night Deadly Night 2 forgetting half the movie was a recap of Part 1 but it was only 5 bucks but what i didn't realize was they made 5 of these movies which has Mickey Rooney!!!Still my favorite B rated movie is Killer Klowns From Outer Space. If anyone knows when it's coming out please e-mail me!
Tim
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2006, 04:09:03 PM »

This is one of the best horror films I have ever seen.  Unlinke so many slasher films, this movie builds up the character so yuo can see why he went crazy.  I also like how the movie takes a turn, and becomes an afternoon special.  After all Billy went through with his Mom being ravaged and the killed, seeing a nun give it up, and being beaten at an orphange, he manages to become a model employee.
  I also have another point to make.  i think Billy is on of the strongest men ever!  Think about it.  He is abkle to hang someone with a string of Christmas lights with his bare hands.  He is able to survive a tough fall over a banister.  HE even can lift a grown woman and shive her body so she is impaled on deerhorns.  Whoa, that guy is strong.
Chadzilla
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2006, 04:09:49 PM »

I thought this was a fairly well made slasher movie, but I still found it rather listless and slow moving at times (an element of fun seemed to be missing).  So it's only two slimes from this Mighty Kaiju Critic in California.

Happy Holidays.  PUNISH!
Tom Fallon
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2006, 04:09:49 PM »

Hmmmm.
Even as an avid B-movie fan, I found this hard to assess.
Sure, there were some pretty cool situations (like impaling a nude girl on the antlers of a reindeer!), but was there really that much over the top violence?  The cover to this christmas classic claims (and I quote):
'Shocking! Disturbing!  The film that outraged parents!Teachers!....the movie they tried to ban!

I've seen worse.  Still, it's always kinda cool to deface a well-known icon!

Coming Soon: EASTER BUNNY GOES POSTAL!
Deena
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2001, 11:35:04 PM »

I thought this movie was pretty friggin cool!  I mean a cute, young psycho dressed as santa killing people.  What more could you ask for?  
Ron Broadfoot
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2006, 04:09:49 PM »

While SILENT NIGHT, DEADLY NIGHT may not be a classic by any means, it's an enjoyable way to kill a few brain cells.  I remember reading a story about the protests over this movie back in 1984.  Lilyan Chauvin gives an eerie performance as the iron-handed Mother Superior, and the guy who plays Billy's grandpa at the beginning of the movie is certainly not the kind of person you would want to meet in a dark alley.  If they make another SILENT NIGHT movie, they should put Angus Scrimm (the guy who played the Tall Man in the Phantasm movies) in it.  I have not seen the sequel, because I've heard it's mostly composed of flashback footage from the first film.  I don't really care about the plot, because I'm 25 and I no longer believe in Santa Claus!
Chap
« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2006, 04:09:49 PM »

The first time I saw this was because we found out that our drama teacher was the police dispatcher.  (and good times and laughs were had by all) Now it's become a yearly classic...  can't miss with this one!
Ken
« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2001, 08:53:05 AM »

Bad bad bad, and a lot of fun ! I liked the actor, who plays Billy, Robert Brian Wilson !!!
Jack
« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2006, 04:09:49 PM »

I watch this movie every Christmas Eve.  It still sorta scares me because the psychology aspect is done very well.  Makes me feel like a weirdo too because its never on cable like the Halloween or Friday the 13th movies.  It is really not boring at all.  The only problem I have with the movie is the door of Linnea Quigley's House, who has a cardboard front door?  The way they set up the first sequel is perfect.  The Warm Side of the Door is really a perfect song cause you think its just about Billy being a good working citizen but then it switches into a Christmas Song in the last stanza, perfect transition.  Unfortunately, the sequel is really bad, except for the last scene, when Mother Superior is called upon...(take notice how gross she looks even while she is alive)!
The Necrofile-Crocodile (Leonard D. Loftin)
« Reply #11 on: November 25, 2006, 04:10:12 PM »

A very good slasher-flick.This movie is pretty perfect, and the killings are new and very suitable for a popcorn-evening. A must see for every blood-freak."led unved choema, solve bies perversiod".
wheresthecarrot
« Reply #12 on: November 06, 2002, 12:20:28 PM »

PUNISH!!!!!!!
Heh
« Reply #13 on: December 20, 2002, 04:43:58 PM »

Neat little movie. For you fans of it I saw on DVD packaged with some other s**t movies, but it was really cheap
J Richter
« Reply #14 on: November 25, 2006, 04:10:12 PM »

Hmmm, I dunno if this really qualifies as a "bad movie".  I think this film is actually pretty damn good.  Though there are a number of amateur qualities to the filmmaking (set design, camera work, etc...), I think the forethought & psychology angle in this film proves that SNDN is not merely an exercise in horror exploitation & T&A.  This isn't a masterpiece by any means, but definitely a worthy horror classic.  

Good news for fans...Anchor Bay is putting parts 1 & 2 on a special edition DVD pkg due out this fall.  Woohoo!!!!
Pages: [1] 2
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Information Exchange  |  Reader Comments  |  Silent Night, Deadly Night « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.