Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 19, 2024, 03:57:29 AM
712925 Posts in 53040 Topics by 7722 Members
Latest Member: GenevaBarr
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Information Exchange  |  Reader Comments  |  The Adventures of Buckaroo Banzai « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]
Author Topic: The Adventures of Buckaroo Banzai  (Read 143629 times)
Bonkers
« Reply #75 on: April 01, 2009, 08:08:46 AM »

I loved this movie. But I am conflicted slightly as to the rating. I think it is a good movie and a bad movie. So does it rate a really bad rating or a really good rating?
I am of 2 minds here. So my current decision is 4 stars.
I mean, Alien lectroids from planet 10 by way of the 8th dimesion?
You just can't beat that with a stick.
So I mildly protest the 3 star rating and petition that it should be raised to the lofty status of 4 stars.
What say you fellow fans? Raise your voices and be heard. This travesty shall not go unavenged!
Ok, a little heavy I admit it.   LOL
But still, let this be fixed and I shall attain true happiness.
LOL
Trudy
« Reply #76 on: May 16, 2009, 11:56:59 AM »

When I first saw this movie in the 80's I was still impressionable, and young. Dr. Banzai was then and will forever be my ideal man. This  is on my best bad movie list as number one.
Erik
« Reply #77 on: August 11, 2009, 10:23:44 AM »

Does anyone realise that the movie wasn't supposed to be any good?

I mean, I love this film too, but the movie was supposed to be a flop, a big loss, a money pit. It was a slightly shady attempt to lose money by the production company

Not exactly true.

The production crew, producers, actors, director, writers, everyone was doing their best to make a great fun film. It was the narrow-minded view of a disturbed mind among the Powers That Be who gave the film the green light, then tried to interfere with (some even say sabotage) the film throughout shooting and into marketing. By the time the film was released, this person was so convinced that the film was terrible that he allocated almost no money for advertising, and released the film in such a limited run so as to guarantee a flop. So it wasn't so much a scheme as a pathologically self-fulfilling prophecy.

A Bad Movie or not, this film changed my life. And that's really all there is say about that.
Tuan Jim
« Reply #78 on: August 16, 2009, 06:24:54 PM »

Just watched this last night (25th anniversary) at the AFI Silver theater (Totally 80's III) in DC with a full house - absolutely incredible.  Movies like this are so much more fun with the right sort of audience. 
Bonesy
« Reply #79 on: July 09, 2010, 12:03:39 AM »

I don't really consider this a 'bad movie'. It is highly entertaining, is really original, doesn't take itself too seriously, has some great actors and has some very amusing moments. I thoroughly enjoyed this movie as did my flat mates when I put it on a few months ago.

However I'm glad it was reviewed here as I remember seeing it when I was very young and have wanted to watch it since but had no idea what the movie was called or how to track it down. It wasn't until I read this review I realised this must have been it. Like a few other movies reviewed on this website I rate Buckeroo Banzai more of a cult movie rather than a bad movie.
Andrew
Administrator
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

I know where my towel is.

« Reply #80 on: July 10, 2010, 08:32:46 PM »

I don't really consider this a 'bad movie'. It is highly entertaining, is really original, doesn't take itself too seriously, has some great actors and has some very amusing moments. I thoroughly enjoyed this movie as did my flat mates when I put it on a few months ago.

This certainly is more of the cult/weird type of film that I review, because it fits with the "feel" of bad movies per my tastes.  It is also one of the older reviews on the site, being one I wrote in the first year or two, and scheduled for updating at some point in the future. 

Andrew Borntreger
Badmovies.org
Kampfgruppe Cottrell
« Reply #81 on: January 19, 2011, 02:47:09 PM »

My wife and I are still Blue Blazer Regulars waiting for the call from Buckaroo.

Brian
Joexrayguy
New Visitor

« Reply #82 on: April 25, 2014, 08:50:57 PM »

I love this movie. It IS like watching a comic book in cinema form, everything is so extreme and everybody plays it so straight, they are so into it. I love that you get dropped right into the middle of the story and you kind of have to fill things in for yourself. I heard they blew most of the budget on the opening part with the rocket truck and thats why so much of the rest of the sets and effects look cheap.  BUT I like that the Black Lectroids ship has loose conduit and junk hanging around, why does everything have to be slick and chrome all the time. Some funny lines in the bar scene and possibly THE COOLEST CLOSING CREDITS I've ever seen in a movie.
Parralax view
Dedicated Viewer

« Reply #83 on: May 17, 2016, 04:35:57 PM »

This is an odd one to be sure.  Somehow some of it works, some of it doesn't.  Having a band of scientists that just happen to smoke on their instruments doesn't.  However the "decoder ring" atmosphere of the thing does.  The aliens do not work for my tastes, but their ships do.  Again, an oddity that is just quirky enough to be entertaining, and Ellen Barkin was at her prime here.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Information Exchange  |  Reader Comments  |  The Adventures of Buckaroo Banzai « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.