Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 19, 2024, 01:13:49 AM
712922 Posts in 53040 Topics by 7722 Members
Latest Member: GenevaBarr
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Information Exchange  |  Reader Comments  |  The Blob « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3
Author Topic: The Blob  (Read 76803 times)
Angilas
« on: November 25, 2006, 04:09:49 PM »

A great movie, and a great monster! Such a simple idea: a blob of protoplasm that grows as it absorbs human victems, quiet, doesn't leave a trace of it's doings when it leaves, and it's still scary today! For proff I had the most terrifying nightmare about the Blob the other night.

Beware the Blob!
David Fullam
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2006, 04:10:12 PM »

"The Blob" is the ultimate pop culture film! Would you believe I bought the DVD one day before your review appeared here? Criterion put the DVD out and it is spectacular. A crisp, letterboxed print, packed with a ton of extras (including a mini poster), I highly reccomend it.
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2006, 04:10:12 PM »

The Blob is the seminal "old man investigates" film.  How many others have borrowed - or spoofed? - it's opening?  Probably the best spoofs were Killer Klowns from Outer Space", where the old man finds the circus tent, and The Stuff, where a pile of goo is also found, only this time he tastes it!

No coincidence both are found on this website!
Chadzilla
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2006, 04:09:03 PM »

In the world of b-movie monsters The Blob is the undisputed King of the Mountain.  Think about about it, how many other monster do you know of that could win a fist fight with this thing?

Side bar to Andrew: The remake cleared up all those little factual errors in the original, but a lot of the charm was lost in the realism.

Great flick.
Ned
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2006, 04:10:12 PM »

The Blob was filmed here in Chester County Pennsylvania. I used to live at the property where the studio was. The blob ate the Phoenixville "Colonial" theater, and the Downingtown Diner, both still standing. The studio also was a producer of religious films.
Bob Weymouth
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2006, 04:10:12 PM »

The Blob is one of my all time favorites.  The second one paid homage to the first when the young male lead said, "I think I killed the strawberry jam!"  Young Stephen McQueen, if he had called her "Janie Girl" one more time, wouldn't have had the Blob to worry about.  I loved that mischievous but lovable gang of young youth (or yutes) prowling around town getting into trouble pushing parked cars around and driving backwards.  Its a shame today's yutes aren't as cute.  I am going to go watch it now......wait, what's that?...it's coming toward me,.....aauugghhh!!!!
Kent Hicken
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2006, 04:10:12 PM »

"It creeps, and leaps, and slides and glides..."  Oh man, this movie brings back some horrifying (yet somehow fond) childhood memories for me!  Like the review said, I insisted on watching "The Blob" when I was eight and, like the review said, I was terrified for weeks...  of course, the Blob was always just under the bed ready to pounce!

The sequel, "Beware, the Blob!" actually sent me running home from a neighborhood pal's house after I saw Godfrey Cambridge sitting down on his "blobba-sized" La-Z-Boy chair... whooo man!

Anyway, my sister and I are going to make sure that my nine year old nephew has the chance to see this "classic!"   Whhhhooooo Haaaaa Haaaaa Haaaaaaaaaaaa!!!!
BoyScoutKevin
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2006, 04:10:12 PM »

Indeed "a true classic of the genre" and indeed worthy of 5 slimes. If for no other reason, then this is the film that made Steve McQueen a star. Enjoy
Paul Westbrook
« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2006, 04:09:49 PM »

I am really glad that this movie, finally got a well deserved mention on this site. This, the original Blob was the classic of drive-in fare of the fifties. I really enjoy the scenes with the Blob at the movie theatre, as all the teens run in panic, as the Blob attacks. Kind of reminds me of what happens at a movie theatre today, but only when the film is rotten. The remake has it's own appeal, but this is the better of the two. You noticed, I never mentioned Son of Blob, directed by Larry Hagman, which, in my opinion bastardized the whole genre.Stick to this, the only definitive version.
Scaarge
« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2006, 04:09:49 PM »

The Blob is a great monster, one of the scariest.  Because unlike practically every other monster I can think of, the Blob is totally silent...you never know when it's nearby.  Other monsters roar or buzz or something (the ants from Them sound like car alarms) or at least make some kind of noise when they walk.  

This is one of the reasons I prefer the original to the remake.  In the remake, the Blob squeals and mewls and sounds like a toilet flushing when it moves.  Nice gore effects though.
Mike
« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2006, 04:10:12 PM »

The blob song lyrics " Beware of the blob, the blob the blob  the blob blah da da the blob the blob blah da da the blob" Repeat  
Dr. Maniac
« Reply #11 on: November 25, 2006, 04:10:12 PM »

Steve McQueen was 26 years old when he played 17 year old Steve Andrews (whew!  at least they didn't name his character Archie!) and he allegedly told the director "I can't play 17, I'll just be myself." which explains the backwards drag race scene.
   The old man who finds the blob is Olin Howland.  Most of us remember him as Jensen, the likable wino in THEM! who takes his sighting of giant ants rather matter-of-factly ("Well they're gone now!").
    For those who care, if you visit Downingtown, PA today you will find the Downingtown Diner just as it was when the movie was filmed.  Someone bought it and restored it to its old look.  You can enjoy a burger and fries and even pick up a copy of THE BLOB on VHS.  The movie theatre is still there too but it is a multiplex now.  The grocery store is long gone though.
   Speaking of the theatre, freeze frame on that poster.  It shows Robby The Robot from FORBIDDEN PLANET but the title says THE VAMPIRE AND THE ROBOT.  That was one of the titles for Bela Lugosi's movie OLD MOTHER RILEY MEETS THE VAMPIRE during its very breif run in this country.  Could it be . . .?
lostmissy
« Reply #12 on: November 25, 2006, 04:10:12 PM »

for the poor lost souls who enjoyed this movie (and who also have a large amount of idle time and alcohol readily available), I highly recommend "the creeping terror" ..words cannot begin to describe that experience!! .
dash riprock
« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2002, 11:14:25 AM »

Ahhhh.... the innocence,the two parent families, the cozy hometown, the friendly hometown cops, makes me want to jump through the tv screen and into the 50`s.
fishmorgjp@yahoo.com
« Reply #14 on: March 10, 2002, 02:14:19 PM »

Oh yeah... scared hell out of me when I was a kid, especially when the doctor is seen struggling at the window. I think the blob was made out of food thickener -- bean gum or something.
Pages: [1] 2 3
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Information Exchange  |  Reader Comments  |  The Blob « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.