Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 19, 2024, 04:40:27 AM
712925 Posts in 53040 Topics by 7722 Members
Latest Member: GenevaBarr
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Information Exchange  |  Reader Comments  |  The Blob « previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Author Topic: The Blob  (Read 76806 times)
Joe the Destroyer
« Reply #30 on: March 05, 2007, 01:27:16 AM »

The Blob always used to scare the living crap out of me as a kid.  The ideas of something that could get you from any angle, could not be killed by almost anything, and painfully absorbed/melted you to death like acid were just a horrifying combination.  I think the thing that freaked me out the most as a kid was that you couldn't hear it, so I would always think if it ever came for me when I was asleep there would be nothing I could do.  God, was I an odd kid...
Kooshmeister
The King of Koosh!
Bad Movie Lover

Must have caffeine...

« Reply #31 on: November 28, 2007, 01:09:52 AM »

Recently got the Criterion Collection DVD, and saw it for the first time. Great movie, although I prefer the remake (I think because I saw it first). Can't wait to listen to the commentaries on the DVD.

Incidentally, I noticed a couple of funny things in the movie I thought might be of interest to some people. Firstly, check out this close-up of the old man's Blob-covered arm:

Except for the actual arm, it's obviously a flat, two-dimensional drawing. They basically just laid the false gooey arm over a painting of the actor's chest.

Then I noticed something about Dr. Hallen's death scene. Poor, poor Dr. Hallen. I think I know why he didn't get out in time. Here he is after locking himself in the den and grabbing the phone:

And here is the quick shot of him getting eaten as seen through the window:

He's got his suit jacket on in the shot of him being devoured, despite not having it on when he came into the room. So obviously, the poor fellow just had to get his jacket before trying to make his escape, allowing the Blob enough time to get in and get him.
Kooshmeister
The King of Koosh!
Bad Movie Lover

Must have caffeine...

« Reply #32 on: December 28, 2007, 07:52:06 AM »

I had no idea a remake from 1988 counted as "recent," but I guess it is, in the grand scheme of things. Anyway I liked the remake quite a bit, although this may have something to do with the fact I saw it first.
James
« Reply #33 on: July 14, 2008, 09:01:25 PM »

Come on. The Blob is the best American Classic horror 50's film ever made. Godzilla and The Blob tie.
Roy
« Reply #34 on: October 25, 2008, 07:26:02 PM »

I absolutely loved this movie from the first time I saw it. It had everything I ever wanted/expected from a B-Movie and in my opinion it it the definitive example in the genre (at least from what I have seen so far). This movie launched me on a tangent of looking for similarly good B-Movies. I guess the reason why I like the genre is the nostalgic quality of it (even though I wasn't around in the 50's) and the fact that you can laugh at what's supposed to be scary and the then-original cliches of the plotlines. This one has it all.

P.S. The 1988 version is not as good as this one for a few reasons; namely the less-nostalgic qualities and the attempts to make it more of a futuristic Sci-Fi film/action thriller. There were just too many subplots for it's own good. You should definitely see 1958's version first.
D-ster
« Reply #35 on: October 28, 2009, 07:20:55 PM »

the blob was the 1st 50s si fi movie i saw  and really i think that "Them" and the blob are the same. 5 star!

Some guy
« Reply #36 on: March 05, 2010, 05:25:08 PM »

I love "The Blob" I think I saw it when I was 10 or 11. I still have the vhs...
judge death
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #37 on: July 25, 2010, 04:59:13 AM »

The blob was a hit because it tapped into the zeitsgeist of the day" Commie phobia.

Think about it, the blob was  a red, faceless, mindless mass bent on expanding itself by forcibly absorbing honest, decent americans into itself. Gee, what else in the world did americans have that image of in the 50's?

It became the perfect commie surrogate.

BTW, McQueen was sure the movie was dumb and wouldn't work for a percentage of the box. (This was before hollywood routinely screwed over the books so no movie ever makes a profit on paper) He took a flat, small salary. The blob became a hit and the people who took percentages made a lot more than he did.

judge death
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #38 on: July 25, 2010, 03:00:43 PM »

Note that the 1988 sequal had the government responsible from the blob as no one in america was all that scared about "commies" anymore, but we were worried about our own government. Next blob will have to be a stand in for corporate america.
judge death
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #39 on: July 25, 2010, 07:25:18 PM »

Recently got the Criterion Collection DVD, and saw it for the first time. Great movie, although I prefer the remake (I think because I saw it first). Can't wait to listen to the commentaries on the DVD.

Incidentally, I noticed a couple of funny things in the movie I thought might be of interest to some people. Firstly, check out this close-up of the old man's Blob-covered arm:

Except for the actual arm, it's obviously a flat, two-dimensional drawing. They basically just laid the false gooey arm over a painting of the actor's chest.

Then I noticed something about Dr. Hallen's death scene. Poor, poor Dr. Hallen. I think I know why he didn't get out in time. Here he is after locking himself in the den and grabbing the phone:

And here is the quick shot of him getting eaten as seen through the window:

He's got his suit jacket on in the shot of him being devoured, despite not having it on when he came into the room. So obviously, the poor fellow just had to get his jacket before trying to make his escape, allowing the Blob enough time to get in and get him.

Quite a few scenes in the movie involved a blob prop and a still, 2d picture. The scene where it covers the diner, the scene where it's oozing into the diner are both set with 2d pictures.

BTW, to see another masterpiece by the guy responsible for this, see "the 4d man".
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Information Exchange  |  Reader Comments  |  The Blob « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.