Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 18, 2024, 09:57:02 PM
712916 Posts in 53040 Topics by 7722 Members
Latest Member: GenevaBarr
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Information Exchange  |  Reader Comments  |  Godzilla vs. Mothra « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Godzilla vs. Mothra  (Read 45601 times)
Chris K.
« on: November 25, 2006, 04:09:49 PM »

Finally, the best in the Godzilla series is on Badmovies.org. GODZILLA VS. THE THING (1964; Video Title: GODZILLA VS. MOTHRA) contains everything a Godzilla fan would want. Great special effects from Eiji Tsuburaya, superb camerawork, colorful scenery, a good cast, and best of all English language dubbing that actually works well in this film. And if that is not enough, their is plenty of gripping action in this one too and contains the best Godzilla costume ever to be constructed by those wonderful people at Toho International. Definatly the best in the series because it delivers more than what you really ask for. This is available in it's original widescreen 2.35:1 on both video and DVD (if you check out the widescreen version, it has the original U.S. title GODZILLA VS. THE THING unlike how the panned and scanned version has the computer-like title GODZILLA VS. MOTHRA imposed on the film). Here is some interesting trivia for the Godzilla fan: the American distributor American International Pictures (AIP for short) requested extra footage to be added in for U.S. release. Director Inoshiro Honda fillmed a scene in which both the Japanese and U.S. Navy attack Godzilla with Frontier Missiles. Though intedned for it's U.S. release, the additional sequence is NOT in the Japanese version! So get the dubbed widescreen version for the full uncut impact.
Paul Westbrook
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2006, 04:10:12 PM »

This is, to my memory, the first Godzilla film I remember seeing. The battle between Big G., and the title creature is of course the main reason to sit through this flick. Godzilla is in top form here, in a seemingly evil role, as the "Bad monster", while Mothra is "GOOD MONSTER" WHO SAVES Tokyo, and her offspring from certain death. A good way to kill an hour and a half, on a Sunday afternoon. The network SPACE, is the best chance to see these treasured films. At least, this wasn't as bad, as Godzilla's Revenge (the worst Godzilla movie on record).
Georgiann
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2006, 04:09:49 PM »

Loved this one as a kid, mostly for the dream-like fantasy atmosphere, and I've always had a weakness for those cute little twin Fairy girls speaking in unison and singing their lilting, hypnotic song to Mothra.  
Jim
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2001, 02:45:15 AM »

Yeah, I also had a crush on the tiny shobijin girls... OKAY OKAY I still do.., They were always so adoreable! ...But that singing of theirs, AAAAAAAAIIIIIIIEEEEEEE!!!!!!!
Jen
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2006, 04:09:49 PM »

All I gotta say is: what's up the twins? No! No! Don't sing!! Ack!
mk_ixnay
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2006, 04:09:49 PM »

In what was the 1st G-flick to face off 2 star monsters against each other, i find this one very likable with its formula,good direction and subplots.
 Thers's so many things to like about the movie:
 (a)Godzilla erupting tailfirst from the ground..
 (b)the usual military efforts(the electric volt net is cool)to stop him.
 (c)Mothra to the rescue!!
 (d)Even the act of avengence by the mothra twins on Godzilla is a one-of-a-kind experience.IMO
 Throw in the goofy guy element,the bad guys subplot and 2 fairy girls rounds out this solid sci-fi fantasy.
Mario
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2002, 11:57:34 AM »

Actually, this is the 3rd. The first being Godzilla Raids Again and the second being King Kong vs. Godzilla.
George
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2006, 04:09:49 PM »

Godzilla vs. The Thing was the 4th of who knows how many Godzilla films,originally released by Paramount in 1964,A.I.P bought the rights to show it on tv,the movie kept its orignal title,after some behind the scenes frictions with there American counterparts,Toho decided to make this the best one for the 10year anniversary,Godzilla gets to fight Japans national treasure Mothra a.k.a. The Thing,usually the name of the victorious monster goes first,that's why they gave Mothra the alias the thing,now days like Sandy Frank redone Gamera movies,someone got the idea to change the name to Godzilla vs. Mothra,which doesn't work,mize well consider Mothra vs. Godzilla.
tessai
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2003, 04:18:21 PM »

I always wonder how they manage to rebuild Tokyo again and again and... after Godzilla and some other monster have a fight in the middle of it. I mean if i was the emperor i would have the city relocated underground ( it worked in Evangelion didnt it?) since every monster in the world obviously hates the damned metropolis ,or do they just want to see that famous TV tower.
Chuck
« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2006, 04:09:49 PM »

Yeah, mothra's little fairy preistesses are cute, but as soon as they start that annoying singing buisness, I'm lookin' for the fly-swatter!!!!
zee
« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2006, 04:09:49 PM »

I adore the Peanut Sisters, and I think their singing is Great! So much so that I've collected the songs they released in their non-Mothra forms....so yah boo to all the tin-ears who think their singing sucks (who thought that a loooooooooooooong time ago...
No Nukes
« Reply #11 on: November 25, 2006, 04:10:12 PM »

I found some of the teaser posters for the American release of Godzilla vs. Mothra. They kept saying that Mothra was going to be a monster so horrifying and shocking that people with heart problems could not enter the theater, etc...typical Alfred Hitchcocky gimmicks of the day that basically say "this is too scary for p*ssies like you!"

Imagine the audience's collective laughter and relief when they discovered that this horrible "THING" they had anticipated was not a nightmarish fiend, but a good-natured, cute giant moth!
tyler
« Reply #12 on: September 07, 2003, 01:09:09 PM »

Next to GODZILLA RAIDS AGAIN THIS IS ONE OF THE BEST GODZILLA MOVIES.
markzilla367
« Reply #13 on: November 25, 2006, 04:09:49 PM »

To an earlier comment on whether Godzilla vs Mothra was the 1st G-flick to pit 2 star monsters against each other--i believe this was the case(not the 3rd..) a definition of 'star monster' meant as in being the lead role-in their own movie before pitting 'em against each other in another toho flick (King kong didnt originate as a toho star-being an American creation but in Godzilla Raids Again, true, Angurus is a toho icon BUT he never starred in his own movie ala Godzilla(1954) and Mothra(1964).
Todd Shields
« Reply #14 on: November 25, 2006, 04:09:49 PM »

Even though I hate the Peanut Sisters' singing, and their song for Mothra used in the film, I think that this is one of Akira Ifukube's best score, especially his 'Terror of Godzilla' theme. I also think that this is THE best Godzilla movie of all time, not just touching on the horror of nuclear weapons, as represented by Godzilla, but also as an allogory of corperate greed, as represented by the two capitalist pig villians. Eiji Tsuburaya's SPFX are also great and the G-suit design was perfect, matched only by the suit used in GODZILLA VS. BIOLLENTE.
Pages: [1] 2
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Information Exchange  |  Reader Comments  |  Godzilla vs. Mothra « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.