Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 18, 2024, 11:26:47 PM
712920 Posts in 53040 Topics by 7722 Members
Latest Member: GenevaBarr
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Information Exchange  |  Reader Comments  |  Idle Hands « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Idle Hands  (Read 34089 times)
Andrew
Administrator
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

I know where my towel is.

« on: November 25, 2006, 04:09:03 PM »

Reader review by Rob.

Andrew Borntreger
Badmovies.org
Glenn
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2006, 04:10:12 PM »

I despised the presumptuousness of this movie, because it just seemed to be "let's take the Hand sequence from Evil Dead 2 and make THAT a movie." It's a good b-movie, and plenty odd, but credit where credit is due.
Chris K.
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2006, 04:10:12 PM »

Look up the word "terrible" in the dictionary and you will find IDLE HANDS next to that word. IDLE HANDS is not close to B-movie material. In fact, Hollywood thought that a spin-off of B-movies would make IDLE HANDS work. How wrong were they? Dead wrong! Basicaly, IDLE HANDS needs to be put in that vault of obscurity. Like with DUDE WHERE'S MY CAR?, SCARY MOVIE, the SCREAM trillogy, I KNOW WHAT YOU DID LAST SUMMER, and URBAN LEGEND I wish that IDLE HANDS was a carpet instead of a film so that way I can just wipe my feet on it. Or better yet, I will steal the original negative and wipe my feet on it so it cannot be restored at all for historical purposes.
Dr. Serizawa
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2006, 04:09:49 PM »

For a movie that attempts to cram a teen comedy, horror, and slacker movie all into one single movie, it is as best as it could be. It provides the good-looking cast, the high school romance plot elements a teen comedy needs, and rips off the greatest elements of Evil Dead 2: Dead by Dawn. Finally, the movie has marijuana being the cause of, and solution to, all of life's problems. The script has some minor plot holes in it, but nothing you'll really notice until the third or fourth viewing.  You'll be to busy laughing at the jokes and being half-shocked at the level of violence in a mostly light-hearted movie.  It does a good job of alternating and combining the two, so you can't quite figure out the movie's exact intentions.

All of the principle cast puts in performances as well as could be done with the material.  Anton puts on the best rogue hand scenes since Evil Dead 2.  In some aspects it's better: Ash Williams didn't hook up with a girl nearly as fast.  Seth Green and his un-dead partner have great one-liners and comic relief.  The weakest of the bunch is Jessica Alba's character, who doesn't seem to be on the same level of reality as the rest of the cast, missing some pretty obvious clues.

In summery, if you like one or more of the following, you'll probably like this movie.  If you don't like any of these, you have my pity:
1. Evil Dead 2
2. Watching stoned people
3. Watching people stoned
4. Gratuitous nudity.  (We're getting an R for the violence; why not get in a free tit shot for the same rating?)
5. Looking at Jessica Alba
6. Seth Green in Austin Powers.  Same wise cracking character on more drugs.
7. The Offspring.  They cover a classic, and then the singer gets his scalp ripped off.
8. Vivica A. Fox
9. Motley Crue.
10. Movies that switch effortlessly from horror to comedy in a single shot.

If you don't like any of the above, don't watch Idle Hands. You'll probably want to watch a good film, like Citizen Kane, The Godfather, or Godzilla vs. the Thing instead.  If you do like that stuff, it gets a 9/10.
Rhinophant
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2006, 04:10:12 PM »

Idle Hands is a funny, funny movie.  Clearly the reviewers on this board do not smoke enough pot (except for Dr. Serizawa, who in all likely hood smokes entirely too much).
Chris K. attempts to compare Idle Hands with Peter Jackson's great films while quickly dismissing the new comedic horror classics of the late 90's.  Idle Hands is a fun teen horror comedy that actually does have jokes.  "Why don't you go back and get a piece?", "I got in a fight with my cat.  It looks like you got your ass kicked", "Ants? They were killed by ants? Please don't be stupid. Do you have an evil aunt or something?"  
This movie is follows along the lines of the Evil Dead series while adding the ridiculously funny teen comedy and stoner genres. So sit down, smoke some pot and enjoy yourself.  Who cares how good the movie is, you'll be high anyways.
Chris K.
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2006, 04:10:12 PM »

True, it is a new 1990's generation of comedy. Comparing IDLE HANDS with a Peter Jackson film may be off, but then again have you seen DUDE, WHERE'S MY CAR?, Rhinophant. That is a horrible movie that features stoners. The new comedy of today is really horrible. I am not an old man, but I am 17 years old and I feel that the teen comedies such as AMERICAN PIE, ROAD TRIP, SCARY MOVIE, and IDLE HANDS do not have the ability to "strike gold" with both box office and audiences alike. Like I said earlier, call Mel Brooks to write in the joke material and it would be alot more funnier. But you have your beliefs and I have mine. So that's about it.
Fortey
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2006, 04:10:12 PM »

"Let's clean the whole f**kin house while we're at it!" -Seth Green

This movie was funny and a breath of fresh air from the shlock slasher flicks that permeate the teen horror genre.  To whoever wrote the original review... way to try and be funny, chief.  The plot of the film is this kid's hand is possessed by evil...no needs to see the incredulous bracketed remarks about this.  What were you hoping for, Steel Magnolias?  And to criticize the hand aspect? Weall know how common evil hands are... there have been numerous movies made on the topic, or including the topic.  This was an updated version chock full of hilarious violence, one liners and weed.
Rob
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2006, 04:10:12 PM »

Well, first of all, I didn't try to be funny - this review obviously WAS funny to some people, or else Andrew wouldn't post it on this site.  I can't expect to please eveyrone.  And no, I obviously didn't expect "Steel Magnolias" when I saw this movie for the very same reason - it wouldn't be on this site!  Don't get me wrong - there were a few scenes in this movie which did impress me, but it's what we like to call a "bad movie."  Therefore, it's on what we like to call a "bad movie website."
KingChron
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2002, 01:23:29 AM »

This movie is awesome! Not only is it funny as hell, but Jessica Alba is ridiculously hot. While admittedly it is funnier when stoned, it is great even when straight. It should never be compared to Evil Dead 2. Oh and by the way, Sam Raimi did evil dead, not Peter Jackson. He did Dead Alive, yet another awesome movie.
bloodcult
« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2006, 04:09:49 PM »

love that car lift scene! it made me feel.....funny. it made the whole movie wothwhile, as far as i'm concerned. she shoulda kept her hair short.
hell, screw the movie, give us more jessica! :)
That dude
« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2002, 08:25:21 PM »

Its interesting how a possessed hand also gain control of a whole arm. I thought a possessed hand only had control of the hand... well, you learn something new every day.
Rob (for "That Dude")
« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2002, 02:08:19 AM »

Yeah, I wondered that myself.  It was able to pull Anton around as well.
Mightydein
« Reply #12 on: November 25, 2006, 04:09:49 PM »

Idle hands is'nt a horror it's a comedy and i loved that movie.

Me and little borther were weak during the movie.

But it's not horror.
pred19
« Reply #13 on: November 25, 2006, 04:09:49 PM »

I really hated this movie. It was so grungy and disgusting, loaded with toilet human and greasy-looking effects. It did an amazing job of being totally UNfunny, however... the jokes were sub-'American Pie', bland and stupid. Had the movie been more self-concious, a lot of things might have worked, but it was so caught up in its own stinking plot, fueled pitifully by poor acting and steriotypical characters, that I could only sit by, irritated by its crude humor and abnoxious main star, and feel nothing for anyone in it. For a movie that went to theaters, it was incredibly poor.
Shelby
« Reply #14 on: November 25, 2006, 04:09:49 PM »

As you can see by my e-mail address,I love Devon Sawa's movies.Oh and by the way Chris K. I liked Urban Legend!I loved this movie and if you do or do not believe it,I just watched it today.Needless to say I had already seen it before.The only thing I didn't like was the fact that Molly didn't get killed.Devon Sawa is just to hot to star in a movie with someone so tempting in it.Or maybe I am just jealous!
Pages: [1] 2
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Information Exchange  |  Reader Comments  |  Idle Hands « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.