Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 18, 2024, 10:02:52 PM
712916 Posts in 53040 Topics by 7722 Members
Latest Member: GenevaBarr
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  Little Miss Sunshine (2006) « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Little Miss Sunshine (2006)  (Read 10686 times)
trekgeezer
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

We're all just victims of circumstance

« on: December 26, 2006, 07:05:14 PM »

This movie has gotten a lot of well deserved press. It is a very funny movie about really disfunctional family trying to get young Olive to the Little Miss Sunshine contest on time.

Here's family line up:

Richard (Greg Kinnear)    A wannabe motivational speaker who categorizes everyone as winners of losers.

Sheryl (Toni Collette)      She's the mom and just trying to survive it all.

Grandpa (Alan Arkin)      Richard's Dad and Little Olive's dance coach, he got kicked out of the old folks home for snorting heroin and hitting on the little old ladies.

Dwayne (Paul Dano)      Olive's big brother, he thinks all of his family are losers and has taken a vow of silence (hasn't spoken in nine months. He wants to go to the Air Force Academy and fly jets.

Frank (Steve Carrel)   Sheryl's brother, he just got out of the hospital after a suicide attempt (he was jilted by his boyfriend).

Olive (Abigail Breslin)   Precosious, but sorta plain looking little girl, really wants to be Little Miss Sunshine.

When one of the contestants drops out Olive gets a chance to go for the title. The whole family loads up in a rickety VW micro bus and heads out a two day road trip to get Olive to the contest.

The road stuff is pretty funny, but even if the rest of the movie was dull boring it would've been worth sitting through to get to Olive's talent  contest. I was surprised that no one had asked about the routine Grandpa was teaching her. It's really hilarious.

You might remember Abigail Breslin as Mel Gibson's creepy little daughter in Signs.

Definitely worth watching, but it's not for the kiddies. There's a lot of cursing and sex talk (especially from Grandpa).                         

And you thought Trek isn't cool.
Scott

Hey, I'm in the situation room ! ! !

« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2007, 08:41:46 PM »

LITTLE MISS SUNSHINE (2006) - Nice road film. Not really for younger viewers, but a look at one inspiring dis-functional family. The film starts out a little sad with the suicidal brother and the grandpa doing drugs, but the film comes out it's depressed state with some bright moments and a meaningful ending. No matter how it's done. When a family gets together it's a good thing. 

(8 out of 10 Stars)  Thumbup Thumbup You really have about 6 stories here, but seeing the family band together makes this worth seeing.

T-Rex Television
Dedicated Viewer

I Am The Walrus!!

« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2007, 09:58:04 PM »

I saw this one, and thought it was pretty alright, especially for all the (excuse my french),  sh*t they put out in theathers today. I thought it was pretty good, and I especially liked the end, I thought that part was really funny. And I also loved the VW van, heh. I, myself would give it a 6/10

"Be still my dog of war, I understand your pain. We have all lost someone we love..."

CheezeFlixz

Pathetic Earthlings

« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2007, 12:20:43 AM »

I watched this and Idiocracy in the same night and LMS far out shined the latter. I'd give it 7/10

fortunato
Bad Movie Lover

The laziest man on mars.

« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2007, 12:28:39 AM »

First movie I saw with my girlfriend. She loved it and I loved it, so together it gets a 10/10.
In reality, I would be no lower than a 9/10 for me, though.

Goblins still exist. Your Grandpa Seth is telling you!

Are you nuts? You tryin' ta turn me into a homo?

You're TEARING ME APART, Lisa!

"May I remind you that I am in command here! Only an idiot would attempt such a thing. I will do it myself."
dean

« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2007, 03:04:34 AM »

It didn't blow me away as much as I was expecting.  Everyone was raving about it, so I guess it suffered from upped expectations, but that being said I thoroughly enjoyed it.  The scene at the end with the dance scene is mind-bendingly hilarious.

So yeah, it was great fun.  7/10 for me.

I think the line: "Everyone pretend to be normal" somehow suits us as much as it does the characters in this film.

------------The password will be: Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch
Yaddo 42

Where's that brick.......

« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2007, 04:06:16 AM »

Saw it on video with a group, we all liked it a lot. Good laughs out of what could have been stale material, road trips have been done so many times in films.

Good work from the whole cast, nice to see Steve Carrell can do good work when reined in as well. Alan Arkin was fun to watch as always. Even the kids were good. I liked the ice cream scene in the diner, a sweet bonding moment at the expense of the dad who was being a jerk.

Maybe not a classic for the ages, wonder what I'll think of it say a few years from now, but it made me laugh a lot at the time and conveyed some real emotion along the way, so it got the job done.

blah blah stuff blah blah obscure pop culture reference blah blah clever turn of phrase blah blah bad pun blah blah bad link blah blah zzzz.....
felgekarp
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2007, 06:33:52 AM »

Got it my mum for mothers day, watched it myself before though   Wink, very entertaining, along similar lines to The Royal Tenenbaums in a story telling manner.
Caronte
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2007, 08:23:20 AM »

a very funny movie!! the dance scene is great! it makes you think in what really matters in life. 7/10

trekgeezer

We're all just victims of circumstance

« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2007, 12:01:45 PM »

I already posted about this movie a long time ago .

And you thought Trek isn't cool.
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  Little Miss Sunshine (2006) « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.