Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 06:22:46 PM
714454 Posts in 53097 Topics by 7742 Members
Latest Member: KathleneKa
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Entertainment  |  Oldschool gamers « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
Author Topic: Oldschool gamers  (Read 42480 times)
Dennis
Yes, it's true, absolutely true. I am a
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

I'm sorry, did I break your concentration?

« Reply #15 on: January 10, 2007, 08:46:56 PM »

33 .... old! Oh how I long for the days of YOUTH! (Not really.) Safe to say I've got 33 beat by a decade, but I know I'm not the oldest one here, but close.

Now I must get my walker and go get some lunch, I have an appointment at the Scooter Store.

Age is state of mind, I still feel about 18 to 20 years old, I still do most of the same stuff now that I did then (don't sky dive any more), the only difference is that now I sometimes hurt the next day.  BounceGiggle
My wife and I have gone through Pong, played Space Invaders, and Asteroids. The real fun started with Nintendo, our daughter got us hooked on that so now we spend a lot of time with the Gamecube, and as soon as I can find a Wii system we'll go to that.

Reach for the heavens in hope for the future for all that we can be, not what we are. Henry John Deutschendorf Jr.
Torgo

« Reply #16 on: January 10, 2007, 11:27:56 PM »

The first system that I actually ever had was the Atari 5200 back when it came out back in the early 80's.

While it was nice to have pretty much arcade perfect versions of Pac Man and the such, my god that system had some of the worst controllers ever.

The 2nd system I had was the Sega Master System.   Never had a NES if you can believe it!

I then got a Sega Genesis, then a SNES, then I moved onto the Saturn, PS1, Dreamcast and PS2.

"There is no way out of here. It'll be dark soon. There is no way out of here."
Torgo

« Reply #17 on: January 10, 2007, 11:29:02 PM »

So...how old are you Andrew?
I say 33 or 34.

I know you're close to my age.  I turn 33 this year.
There's no shame in admitting it.   TeddyR

I'm an old f**ker too.  Just like you!

I'm turning 32 on March 7th. Seems to be a lot of 30 something people that frequent this site.   Thumbup

Torgo

« Reply #18 on: January 10, 2007, 11:34:17 PM »

Damn... I'm 22. I guess i don't really qualify to be "old school"

I guess that's one thing that I love about being in my early 30's, is that I've been able to see video games improve and get better throughout almost their whole lifespan to a certain extenet.

From the Atari 2600 to the PS3, it's amazing where games have gone in terms of technical prowess.

but I do feel more and more that developers are concentrating too much on how games look as opposed to how they actually play.

Oh, and I have an arcade version of Tempest in my spare bedroom.   

CheezeFlixz

Pathetic Earthlings

« Reply #19 on: January 10, 2007, 11:57:59 PM »

Damn... I'm 22. I guess i don't really qualify to be "old school"

I guess that's one thing that I love about being in my early 30's, is that I've been able to see video games improve and get better throughout almost their whole lifespan to a certain extenet.

From the Atari 2600 to the PS3, it's amazing where games have gone in terms of technical prowess.

but I do feel more and more that developers are concentrating too much on how games look as opposed to how they actually play.

Oh, and I have an arcade version of Tempest in my spare bedroom.   

The other day when my 11 y/o was playing on her DS she stopped and looked up and said "Daddy, what video games did you play when you was my age?" I busted up and said 'Lincoln Logs Sweetie. She replied "Lincoln Logs? That's not a video game!" and I said "Right."
Seeming some what puzzled she stated "So Papaw (My Dad) never bought you any video games ... EVER?" (Say this like a young girl ... 'eH-ver' and leave you mouth open after it's said.)
So I said 'Nope, he never did, he deprived your dear ol Dad of those luxuries, why he wouldn't even get us a microwave, cordless or cell phone .... child he was so mean he wouldn't even get us cable." (FYI I'm talking about the 1960's here)
My daughter set there looking confused and a little miffed that her kind sweet grandfather could have ever been this awful, she demanded to call him right away, which I did and my Dad being a prankster too, played along without missing a beat that he was this mean father that wouldn't get his kids video games. Finally my wife told my daughter, honey they hadn't invented video game when your Dad was your age.
So with these soulful eyes, she looked at me and said "You must really be old Dad?"

I am, sweetie, I am.

LOL ...  Twirling

clockworkcanary
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #20 on: January 11, 2007, 08:09:51 AM »

re: The Wasteland

I remember this game!  Post nuclear Vegas right?  My friends and I played the hell outta this game.  I remember finding a howitzer (sp?) shell and later a howitzer so we started firing it off only to later realize we blew away parts of a town across the map lol!  oops!

Join us as we discuss all things schlock at Three Knock Theater podcast:

Facebook Group:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/197572800347267/

Youtube channel:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCrLYkyXabfSwpcRQjhUMErQ
Ed, Ego and Superego

« Reply #21 on: January 11, 2007, 01:19:39 PM »

RIght, post nuclear Vegas.
-Ed

Quantum materiae materietur marmota monax si marmota monax materiam possit materiari?

Si Hoc Legere Scis Nimium Eruditionis Habes
Torgo

« Reply #22 on: January 11, 2007, 04:36:59 PM »

AWESOME GRAPHICS!    TeddyR TeddyR

JaseSF
Super Space Age Freaky Geek
B-Movie Kraken

Soon, your brain will turn to jelly.

« Reply #23 on: January 11, 2007, 07:00:00 PM »

The classic Atari games were always my faves. Mrs. Pac-Man, Dig Dug, Plague Attack, Barnstrorming, Defender (I loved those games, actually I bought the Atari collection for the PS2 that has some of the classic Atari games but y'know it just isn't the same playing them with a PS2 as it was with the Atari, also perhaps the only machine I managed to take apart and "fix", well it lasted a few years anyways.) Those games had one delightful common element that so many of today's games lack. They were simply fun, not a well dressed up boring exercise in sameness that so many games are now.

"This above all: To thine own self be true!"
BTM

« Reply #24 on: January 11, 2007, 11:45:57 PM »

>Angel Devoid

Whoa, whoa, can that actually be played on the PC?  I actually BOUGHT that game used on ebay awhile back, and I could NOT get the damn thing to run under Windows.  Eventually gave up and sold the game along with several others to someone else.

Although, in retrospect, I wish I had know about DOS emulators, could have tried one of them...

There's a lot of good older games I can't get to play anymore because of the new technology.  For instnace, never got to play The 11th Hour (sequel to 7th Guest) and I don't think it can be run on Windows...

"Some people mature, some just get older." -Andrew Vachss
Viktorcrayon
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #25 on: January 12, 2007, 06:19:50 AM »

BTM, you must try DosBox. A lot of the games won't work without it!
odinn7

« Reply #26 on: January 12, 2007, 01:39:38 PM »

Great story CheezeFlixz...  TeddyR

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

You're not the Devil...You're practice.
Ash

23 Year Badmovies.org Veteran

« Reply #27 on: January 13, 2007, 12:56:31 AM »

Well whaddaya know?
I found the entry for Name this Game here...
READ MORE
« Last Edit: January 13, 2007, 06:05:05 AM by Ashthecat » Logged
Mr_Vindictive

By Sword. By Pick. By Axe. Bye Bye.

« Reply #28 on: January 13, 2007, 02:28:51 PM »

My first console was an Atari 7800 ProSystem.  I got it for Christmas one year after begging for an NES.  I believe I was in Kindergarten at the time.  I remember being upset at getting the Atari then.  This would have been around '88 or so.  I didn't realize at the time that my parents couldn't afford the NES and bought the Atari for me due to it's much lower price.  Over the years, I amassed a huge amount of Atari cartridges mainly from thrift shops and such.  There was one locally where you could get 4 Atari games for about a dollar. 

A few years later, my parents bought me a GameBoy.  The original, huge brick gameboy and I still have it and it still works. 

Then came the SNES which I also have and it still works.  I ocassionally break it out to play some Chrono Trigger.

Around '95 I moved from consoles to PC gaming.  I think that Doom was the main catalyst for that switch.  I've been pretty loyal to that platform since.  I'll never forget the first time I played the original Half-Life.  Amazing isn't strong enough of a word to describe that game.

The SNES was the last console I owned until I got married and my wife bought me a PS2.  I only used it a bit for Grand Theft Auto and such before it's unfortunate demise (long story).

I eventually bought a Dreamcast from a pawn shop, and it's still my favorite of the last gen consoles.

I also own a GameCube currently which I've been using quite a bit lately while going back through Resident Evil 4.

As for handhelds, I bought a DS Lite when they launched earlier this year.  New Super Mario Bros is a ton of fun on it, as are various other games I've discovered such as Advanced Wars DS.

A bald man named Savalas visited me last night in a dream.  I think it was a Telly vision.
Torgo

« Reply #29 on: January 15, 2007, 05:54:07 PM »

I've currently been digging playing Capcom Classics Collection Vol. 2.

Finally, AN ARCADE PERFECT PORT OF STRIDER!

The rest of the games on this collection are great as well.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Entertainment  |  Oldschool gamers « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.