Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 19, 2024, 04:07:53 AM
712925 Posts in 53040 Topics by 7722 Members
Latest Member: GenevaBarr
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Entertainment  |  Oldschool gamers « previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]
Author Topic: Oldschool gamers  (Read 42070 times)
Newt
Mostly Harmless. Mostly.
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

I want to be Ripley when I grow up.

« Reply #45 on: December 15, 2012, 06:48:16 AM »

My eldest grew up playing the Sonic the Hedgehog games on his Genesis.  To this day the sound of a few notes of the themes can drive me up the wall.  My Dad spent a good bit of time playing Castlevania on that system. 

And ah yes the Commodore 64.  Back in the mid-80's I worked for a very small software developer as office manager.  I was 'drafted' into beta testing most of the output and a large portion of that was games (in addition to a monthly subscription "magazine" disc for the Commodore).  We also tested the latest games available from the big guys - EA was one of them - to see what they had come up with (so we could do something similar).  Tough job!    TeddyR  The excitement when the Amiga came out was unreal.  The games for the PC at the time were pretty ho-hum.  Text adventures (I remember one based on The HitchHikers' Guide to the Galaxy: I beat all the guys on that one because I had read the books)

(One of our games that did *not* make it into production was called "Balls".  We had the packaging mocked up, all ready to go. The partner who had come up with it wanted to take out full page ads saying, "Be the first kid on your block to have BALLS!"    They were a fun bunch of guys.  Kinda like you lot... )

The job I had immediately prior to that one was with a publishing company/software developer dedicated to the Timex Sinclair machines.  Same job (with the addition of working on a print magazine).  Verrry primitive games on cassette tapes.  But that was what there was in those days.

And going back a bit farther than that: anyone remember playing "Star Trek" on a mainframe?  I DO! 

"May I offer you a Peek Frean?" - Walter Bishop
"Thank you for appreciating my descent into deviant behavior, Mr. Reese." - Harold Finch
Pacman000
« Reply #46 on: December 15, 2012, 05:14:41 PM »

Newt, that's cool.  All of it.

Torgo, here's a page about Ninja Golf: http://www.atariage.com/software_page.html?SoftwareID=2143

Couchtr26

« Reply #47 on: December 15, 2012, 08:38:16 PM »

My eldest grew up playing the Sonic the Hedgehog games on his Genesis.  To this day the sound of a few notes of the themes can drive me up the wall.  My Dad spent a good bit of time playing Castlevania on that system. 

And ah yes the Commodore 64.  Back in the mid-80's I worked for a very small software developer as office manager.  I was 'drafted' into beta testing most of the output and a large portion of that was games (in addition to a monthly subscription "magazine" disc for the Commodore).  We also tested the latest games available from the big guys - EA was one of them - to see what they had come up with (so we could do something similar).  Tough job!    TeddyR  The excitement when the Amiga came out was unreal.  The games for the PC at the time were pretty ho-hum.  Text adventures (I remember one based on The HitchHikers' Guide to the Galaxy: I beat all the guys on that one because I had read the books)

(One of our games that did *not* make it into production was called "Balls".  We had the packaging mocked up, all ready to go. The partner who had come up with it wanted to take out full page ads saying, "Be the first kid on your block to have BALLS!"    They were a fun bunch of guys.  Kinda like you lot... )

The job I had immediately prior to that one was with a publishing company/software developer dedicated to the Timex Sinclair machines.  Same job (with the addition of working on a print magazine).  Verrry primitive games on cassette tapes.  But that was what there was in those days.

And going back a bit farther than that: anyone remember playing "Star Trek" on a mainframe?  I DO! 

Sounds enjoyable and having something that was just different then most experiences at the time.  Nice to read about some of your experiences at the time Newt.  Also, I played Sonic and even I can get annoyed by the music at times or the sound of losing rings.  Sounds like an odd coin purse dropping or a little like if you drop some of the bracelets at my current workplace. 

Ah, the good old days.
Umaril Has Returned
« Reply #48 on: December 16, 2012, 01:03:27 PM »

I had a C-64!  I remember many great titles like Gunship which was a sim of the AH-64 Apache attack chopper. I played the hell out of that one. I also played F-117 Stealth Fighter and a tank sim called Arctic Fox. 

I also played Forbidden Forest and SSI's Gemstone Warrior. Ah, the good old days of formatting a disk and taking almost an hour to do it... Buggedout
HappyGilmore
B-Movie Kraken

I know Quack-Fu.

« Reply #49 on: December 16, 2012, 03:17:06 PM »

I had an NES for a bit. Dug playing a lot of those games.

Never owned an SNES or Sega, although my neighbors did and I wore them out. My mom couldn't afford the systems.

I did get an N64 & PS1 for Christmas one year. Mom saved up for them.

Currently I own a PS2, XBOX360, n64 & Wii.

I play the Wii less. I bought a game for the 360- Sonic's Ultimate SEGA Collection. It has something like 40-50 SEGA games I loved as a kid.

I loved Earthworm Jim as a kid.

"The path to Heaven runs through miles of clouded Hell."

Don’t get too close, it’s dark inside.
It’s where my demons hide, it’s where my demons hide.
Jack
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #50 on: December 17, 2012, 08:06:03 AM »

My first memories of video games were probably playing Lunar Lander on a PC where my dad worked.

Then I got an NES back in the mid-late '80s.  All I really played on it was Smash TV, but I beat that game 5 or 6 times.  I remember the first time I got to the last set of levels, I had to go get a beer to mellow myself out - I was pretty excited  TeddyR  I also got a SNES but never really played much on it.  I finished Wing Commander once but didn't care for that game.

I got a PS1 and used to play Kileak:  The DNA Imperative.  That was a pretty bad game actually;  it started out okay but once you got the the later levels it was really boring.  Also played through Battle Arena Toshinden on easy difficulty once.  Probably the only fighting game I've ever spend more than two minutes with.  So I didn't play many games for quite a while but then I found this thing called the "internet" that had game reviews (prior to that I just make my purchasing decisions based on the picture on the box).  I picked up Fear Effect 2:  Retro Helix and was just blown away.

Small | Large

That's still one of my favorite games of all time.  Also played a lot of Colony Wars, which was a great space flight / combat simulator.

Got a PS2 once the slim came out, played quite a few games on that.  Drakan:  The Ancient Gates was the first game I got for it, and still my favorite.

The world is changed by your example, not by your opinion.

- Paulo Coelho
El Misfit
[Insert witty here]
B-Movie Kraken

Hi there!

« Reply #51 on: December 17, 2012, 11:47:46 AM »

There's a place not far from my house that sells old and current games, I saw that they had  system that plays NES, SNES, Genesis, and Saturn games in one console. As an old school gamer, I am not one, the oldest I ever played was N64/ PS1 games, if you don't count arcade games.

yeah no.
major jay

« Reply #52 on: December 17, 2012, 01:19:16 PM »

INTRUDER ALERT! INTRUDER ALERT!

Jack
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #53 on: December 17, 2012, 01:44:28 PM »

This was pretty much my favorite game from the arcades:

Small | Large

The world is changed by your example, not by your opinion.

- Paulo Coelho
zombie no.one

Oookaay...

« Reply #54 on: December 17, 2012, 07:15:11 PM »

cool... did you ever have any involvement with the sinclair spectrum, 48/128k etc? those were the computers I grew up with

I nearly got to the stage where I'd programmed an entire football management game in BASIC on the spectrum, but by the time I'd nearly finished it (1992-3 ish) the spectrum almost became obsolete overnight as the 16bit machines like Atari DT's amd Amigas, and then very soon after that the Sega/Nintendo consoles took over.

Had a Master System 2 for a while. Loved the Playstation, games like Tony Hawks skating and Everybody's golf blew my mind (actually the sequels to both those games especially). Since then I have not really played anything. No interest in the new style huge online dwarf/wizard stuff or the ultra realistic army war games they have now.

The Mandela Effect is a Mandela Effect
Umaril Has Returned
« Reply #55 on: December 17, 2012, 09:23:22 PM »

Had a Master System 2 for a while. Loved the Playstation, games like Tony Hawks skating and Everybody's golf blew my mind (actually the sequels to both those games especially). Since then I have not really played anything. No interest in the new style huge online dwarf/wizard stuff or the ultra realistic army war games they have now.

I had a Master System too: the first RPG I ever beat was Miracle Warriors: Seals Of the Drak Lord and then there was Phantasy Star and I also liked the 3D game Missile Defense that came with it and later a 3D game called Poseidon Wars. All were great games and another one I had was called Zillion, based on an anime of the same name. That was one was very involved, but nowhere near as long as the games of today. This was around 1885 or '6 when I had it.
zombie no.one

Oookaay...

« Reply #56 on: December 18, 2012, 07:15:14 AM »

This was around 1885 or '6 when I had it.
didn't realise the Master System was quite that ancient!!!  BounceGiggle

*I made a typo earier as well, I said Atari DT's, I meant Atari ST's of course..

Umaril Has Returned
« Reply #57 on: December 18, 2012, 01:38:34 PM »

This was around 1885 or '6 when I had it.
didn't realise the Master System was quite that ancient!!!  BounceGiggle

*I made a typo earier as well, I said Atari DT's, I meant Atari ST's of course..

That's about the time, maybe (and I say maybe) it may have been 1987. That was awhile back and I may be off by a year or so. But yeah, the Master System is ancient, and so am I.  BounceGiggle
zombie no.one

Oookaay...

« Reply #58 on: December 18, 2012, 02:21:03 PM »

erm yeah you know you put 1885 right... that's why I was saying it was old, just a joke really!

Umaril Has Returned
« Reply #59 on: January 07, 2013, 12:53:29 PM »

erm yeah you know you put 1885 right... that's why I was saying it was old, just a joke really!

No prob, gotcha'. Missed the typo and the joke. But while you mention it, in 1885 I think I was working on my first marriage then.  BounceGiggle

She's long since gone, but I've aged but a day. But then again my portrait is hidden in a place noone will ever find it Smile
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Entertainment  |  Oldschool gamers « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.