Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 19, 2024, 06:36:48 AM
712927 Posts in 53040 Topics by 7722 Members
Latest Member: GenevaBarr
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Entertainment  |  Great on an album...terrible live. « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Great on an album...terrible live.  (Read 4987 times)
diamondwaspvenom
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« on: June 01, 2012, 07:24:55 AM »

It's always a shame when one of your favorite bands can never fulfill that magic found on an album with a live performance. It's even more surprising that despite being awful stage performers, these bands still bear a strong fan base.

What are your own examples of fave musical artists who although sound fantastic on a CD, never could deliver a satisfying live show?

Psycho Circus
B-Movie Kraken

Shake The Faith

« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2012, 09:27:06 AM »

RATT - Stephen Pearcy CANNOT sing live.

Small | Large

DOKKEN, used to be amazing live up until the mid-90s. Now they are an absolute abombination due to Don Dokken's painful lack of vocal range/clarity. Couldn't find any decent footage from this year, so I'll wind it back to a less painful performance from 2007.

Baaaad
Small | Large

Compared to 80s Dokken...
Small | Large
« Last Edit: June 01, 2012, 09:35:38 AM by Circus Circus » Logged

FatFreddysCat
Movies, Metal, Beer!

« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2012, 11:18:33 AM »

First one that comes to mind for me is The Cult.

I saw them opening for Metallica in 1989 and Ian Astbury was obviously drunk as a skunk onstage and didn't wanna be there. He was screwing up lyrics, wandering around the stage with a glazed look on his face, and eventually gave up. He did the last two songs laying on the drum riser occasionally mumbling into the mic.

I later found out that by that point in the Metallica tour, the Cult was so tired of being hazed by the crowds that they'd just quit trying, which kinda ticked me off cuz I was actually a fan of both bands and had hoped for a kick-ass show from both of'em.

Still dig the band on album but never bothered to see them live again after that experience.

Hey, HEY, kids! Check out my way-cool Music and Movie Review blog on HubPages!
http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
tracy
Inventor of the Turnip Twaddler and

« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2012, 01:14:15 PM »

I was a fan of Fine Young Cannibals until I heard them perform live on an awards show...sheesh! Without lots of studio enhancements they just plain sucked!

Yes,I'm fine....as long as I don't look too closely.
HappyGilmore
B-Movie Kraken

I know Quack-Fu.

« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2012, 04:53:16 PM »

Freddy:
The Cult is bad live? They're coming to town, was thinking of going...

"The path to Heaven runs through miles of clouded Hell."

Don’t get too close, it’s dark inside.
It’s where my demons hide, it’s where my demons hide.
Psycho Circus
B-Movie Kraken

Shake The Faith

« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2012, 07:10:25 PM »

Freddy:
The Cult is bad live? They're coming to town, was thinking of going...

My girlfriend's seen them a few times and said they were bad, mainly because of Ian Astbury. If it's not too pricey Happy, I'd still go. At least you can say you've seen The Cult. Although, I'm not fond of their new album and they may play quite a bit off it.

Criswell
i got better
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2012, 12:13:44 AM »

With any old band there is a chance the vocalist is gonna suck now. Which is unfortunate, but sometimes the instruments make up for it some. Like Jethro Tull's Ian Anderson sounds awful live now, but he can still shred the flute pretty awesomely.

JoeTheDestroyer
Random Text Crapper
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2012, 09:07:45 AM »

A Perfect Circle:
I saw them open for Nine Inch Nails.  No, they didn't sound bad live.  They actually sounded like the album.  They're just very boring live, and Maynard barely even looks at the crowd.

I honestly can't think of many bands live I didn't like.  Our town did boo both No Doubt and Hole off the stage, and even people who were fans of both bands said they sucked something fierce live.

Latest reader review:
Crossbow (Atari 2600)
Latest staff reviews:
BC Racers (32X)
Dying Light (PS4)
The Burgomaster
Aggravating People Worldwide Since 1964

« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2012, 03:26:15 PM »

I wouldn't say "great on record," but I saw A FLOCK OF SEAGULLS live back in the 1980s (it was a triple concert: THE POLICE, THE FIXX, and A FLOCK OF SEAGULLS).  Anyway, A FLOCK OF SEAGULLS sounded nothing like their albums . . . they were probably a minute into I RAN before I realized what song they were signing.

"Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me either. Just pretty much leave me the hell alone."
Zapranoth
Eye of Sauron and

« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2012, 11:39:35 PM »

When I was in college, a coworker said that Bob Dylan was extremely terrible in concert.  Jabbering unintelligibly into the microphone in his own dialect.  ><
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Entertainment  |  Great on an album...terrible live. « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.