Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 05:49:28 PM
714493 Posts in 53097 Topics by 7744 Members
Latest Member: MichelFran
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Entertainment  |  Books « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 14
Author Topic: Books  (Read 102286 times)
Mofo Rising
Global Moderator
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

My cat can eat a whole watermelon!

« Reply #60 on: June 18, 2007, 10:37:26 PM »

EARTH ABIDES (read it - just love it)

Here's something interesting. I love buying enscribed books, not grafitti but books with messages written in them. Earth Abides had an interesting message, you sorta wonder about the people back in 1980 who read it - who they were to eachother. Anyhow, I also love OLD books, the feeling of others who have read through it. So I decided to choose the older looking Rosemary's Baby book over the new one.

Well, now you've piqued my curiosity.  I read Earth Abides for a class I took on Politics and Science Fiction (which also gave me an excuse to reread The Demolished Man).

I'm currently reading Game of Thrones by George R. R. Martin, which is somewhat outside the norm for me.  I don't normally read fantasy, but I got a hankering for an epic fantasy novel.  Be careful what you wish for.  It's a good book, but man it's long.

I'm also making my way through the Star Wars universe (it's the fault of Karen Traviss), so I'm currently reading Darth Maul: Shadow Hunter by Michael Reaves.  It's not very good, but don't hold that against me.

I would love to sit down and reread Gravity's Rainbow with annotations, but that's more of an endeavor than I'm looking for at the moment.  I'll probably just read Memoirs of My Nervous Illness by Daniel Paul Schreber instead.  I believe that book was brought to my attention by another thread somewhere on this board.

Every dead body that is not exterminated becomes one of them. It gets up and kills. The people it kills, get up and kill.
Zapranoth
Eye of Sauron and

« Reply #61 on: June 18, 2007, 10:55:30 PM »

I have been re-reading (for the nth time) _Protector_ by the great Larry Niven.

I have _World of Ptaavs_ on the shelf waiting to be read next.   Then _A Gift From Earth_, and all the rest of the Known Space books.

=)

Booyah.
Pilgermann

« Reply #62 on: October 03, 2007, 05:21:13 PM »

This poor thread's been dormant for a while...

I just read The Martian Chronicles by Ray Bradbury.  It won't rank among my overall favorites of his, but it's still full of some beautiful work.  I nearly cried at the end of the last story.

Currently going back and forth between The Changling by A. E. van Vogt, and The King of Elfland's Daughter by Lord Dunsany.

Khaz
Bad Movie Lover

Classic.

« Reply #63 on: October 04, 2007, 12:35:52 PM »

I will try not to post on this thread too much, but it will be hard..
Currently munching through this weeks books..
Ghost - John Ringo (at home bathroom book)
We Few - David Weber & John Ringo (at work book)
Sanctuary - Mercedes Lackey (whenever I get a chance book)

I see you are playing stupid... Looks like you're winning
Mofo Rising
Global Moderator

« Reply #64 on: October 04, 2007, 05:34:06 PM »

Amusing, because in my last post in June I mentioned I was reading Game of Thrones by George R.R. Martin, and now I'm in the middle of reading it's sequel, A Clash of Kings.  I had taken a break between the two.

Has anybody ever read The Descent by Jeff Long?  It's one of my favorite genre books of recent memory.  Unfortunately, it looks like he's written a sequel, Deeper, which fills me with dread.  I hate it when people tarnish my memories.  Oh well, I'll read it anyway.

Every dead body that is not exterminated becomes one of them. It gets up and kills. The people it kills, get up and kill.
Killer Bees
Newly Appointed Government Employee and

Never give up on love

« Reply #65 on: January 15, 2008, 12:34:47 AM »

Not long ago, finished The Book Of Lost Things - John Connolly (which I've already written a review of)

But at the moment I'm reading:

Secret Societies - Sylvia Browne
The First Casualty - Ben Elton
Fat Land - Greg Critser (just finished yesterday)
Freedom Next Time - John Pilger

Flower, gleam and glow
Let your power shine
Make the clock reverse
Bring back what once was mine
Heal what has been hurt
Change the fates' design
Save what has been lost
Bring back what once was mine
What once was mine.......
BTM

« Reply #66 on: January 15, 2008, 02:02:47 PM »

I recommend reading all of the Harry Dresden books by Jim Butcher.  The series is REALLY cool, and a lot different from the sci-fi channel version.  The books are exciting and funny, and unlike another popular "Alternated universe when vampires/werewolves exist" that I won't mention (coughAnitaBlakecough) it was degenerated into one sex scene after another.

"Some people mature, some just get older." -Andrew Vachss
lester1/2jr
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #67 on: January 16, 2008, 05:07:06 PM »

i would highly recommend "the Politically Incorrect Guide to Capitalism" by Robert Murphy.  It is very easy to understand but will blow your mind
threnody
Bad Movie Lover

Meow

« Reply #68 on: January 16, 2008, 07:27:54 PM »

I started reading The Glass Castle by Jeannette Walls last night. Normally I don't read this kind of material, but my aunt insisted. It's a true story about a girl who grows up in a crazy family and has to get away.

"To be bitter is to attribute intent and personality to the formless, infinite, unchanging and unchangeable void. We drift on a chartless, resistless sea. Let us sing when we can, and forget the rest..."
-H.P. Lovecraft
frank
Bad Movie Lover

"I'm a big boy now, Johnny."

« Reply #69 on: January 17, 2008, 04:34:36 AM »

Just finished "Ulysses" and read the better part of "Finnegans Wake"..

.......HAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!

......"Now toddle off and fly your flying machine."
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

Click on that globe for 366 Weird Movies

« Reply #70 on: January 18, 2008, 11:52:02 AM »

.......HAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!

Where is the better part of Finnegan's Wake hidden? 

I'll take you places the hand of man has not yet set foot...
frank
Bad Movie Lover

"I'm a big boy now, Johnny."

« Reply #71 on: January 21, 2008, 07:50:05 AM »

.......HAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!

Where is the better part of Finnegan's Wake hidden? 

That's one great mystery in literature! Wherever it is, though, it is definitely not in the book!

Seriously, I have never read Finnegans Wake, and I do not intend to... Somehow the concept doesn't work for me. But I'm still serious about finishing Ulysses one time, I have started reading three times now, but could never finish it. That's rather strange, because there definitely is something to this book and in a more general sense, I find it quite interesting. But I just can't finish it, strange....

The reason I came up with this, is that I was at a public talk about James Joyce a couple of days ago and got very upset about it. The women giving the talk wouldn't stop pointing out how professional she is about literature and how entertaining her talk will be and how all the others that have dealt with Joyce's bio totally screwed up. Afterwards she joined the chorus about him being the greatest Romancer of his times, just to announce  a couple of minutes later that she did not read Ulysses nor Finnegans Wake (half of his published novels), because she finds them rather hard to read but still so interesting and glorious if you do/would read it... Not what I call a scientific talk, but then I'm not a humanist.

I was just left wondering, what makes a great author, or what makes James Joyce great?
And why can't i finish this §%$$*** book!!!!!

......"Now toddle off and fly your flying machine."
Derf
Crazy Rabbity Thingy
Proofreader

Lagomorphs: menace or underutilized resource?

« Reply #72 on: January 21, 2008, 11:41:46 AM »

I was just left wondering, what makes a great author, or what makes James Joyce great?
And why can't i finish this §%$$*** book!!!!!

Not to get all serious here, but with "great" authors, you often must be very familiar with the times they lived in and interested in the school of thought they espoused. James Joyce was "great" in his time as a progressive thinker and innovative writer. However, if you dislike/disagree with his outlook on humanity, his work will be hard to read. Very few authors can be transcendent enough to draw in an audience that is philosophically opposed to the themes that author presents. As an example, I have to admit that William Faulkner was an innovative author, and I like that he "invented" a county in Mississippi and populated it with characters that would appear throughout his stories and novels. However, I hate reading him because I find his view of humanity (at least in the South) as being brutish, mean, cruel, etc., distasteful. There are very few "good" people in his work, and I can't bring myself to espouse the philosophy that humans are universally that diminished and petty and stupid.

Also, if you read much modern fiction, you are unused to the pacing of authors like Joyce. He wrote for an audience that was willing to take the time to stroll liesurely through a novel, considering carefully what was happening and pondering the themes being presented. Today, we want a faster pace, more action and less thought (not in every case, but overall).

And yes, I do teach English.

"They tap dance not, neither do they fart." --Greensleeves, on the Fig Men of the Imagination, in "Twice Upon a Time."
Mofo Rising
Global Moderator

« Reply #73 on: January 21, 2008, 02:46:05 PM »

I read about three hundred pages into Ulysses several years ago. I stopped when I realized that I wasn't understanding over half of the stuff I was reading. The only book I finished by Joyce was Portrait of the Artist.

Right now I'm rereading Gravity's Rainbow by Thomas Pynchon with a book of annotations. I love the book, but there's fascinating digressions on almost every page. I've also got some other literary discussions on the book and discussions of the times (70's). Basically I'm using the book as a springboard to look up other things I would otherwise not.

Other than that I've got a book on curse words, Why People Believe Weird Things and A Storm of Swords to get through.

Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

Click on that globe for 366 Weird Movies

« Reply #74 on: January 21, 2008, 03:36:11 PM »

I have read only the last sentence of "Ulysses", and actually I rather liked it.  (SPOILER: the last word is "yes").  Someday I hope to go back and read the whole thing.

I'm reading Henry Miller's "Big Sur and the Oranges of Hieronymus Bosch," basically a ramshackle collection of essays, and "Love in the Time of Cholera," which I picked up at an airport when I forgot to bring Miller with me on the trip.   

I'll take you places the hand of man has not yet set foot...
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 14
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Entertainment  |  Books « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.