Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 04:26:12 AM
714544 Posts in 53100 Topics by 7747 Members
Latest Member: LeighPalmo
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Entertainment  |  Books « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 14
Author Topic: Books  (Read 102315 times)
indianasmith
Archeologist, Theologian, Elder Scrolls Addict, and a
B-Movie Kraken

A good bad movie is like popcorn for the soul!

« Reply #150 on: April 04, 2008, 05:33:53 PM »

I like Elizabethan English.  It was a more elegant, more poetic, more . . . passionate language than the stubby, abbreviated, illiterate swill that passes for dialogue in most of the movies we watch.

Even 19th Century English was more elegant than our language today.  Sometimes, after reading what my 8th graders, in mockery of the English language, call "essays", I have to sit down and read something by Winston Churchill just to remind myself of what the English language used to be.

"And so the glory of the world becomes less than it was."

"I shall smite you in the nostrils with a rod of iron, and wax your spleen with Efferdent!!"
Patient7
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

Mwa Ha Ha Ha Ha

« Reply #151 on: April 12, 2008, 03:22:56 PM »

I'm thumbing through, Hey Idiot!  it is just filled with a bunch of summaries of actual stories of people doing extremely stupid things.

Barbeque sauce tastes good on EVERYTHING, even salad.

Yes, salad.
asimpson2006
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #152 on: April 14, 2008, 10:32:40 AM »

For the last week I've been reading The Godfather and it's a really good book.  It's a lot more in depth than the movie is, I'm about half way, and I hope to finish it by the weekend, or the start of next week.
KYGOTC
Corprate slimeball of E.E.S.

Be EXELLENT to each other...and PARTY ON DUDES!!

« Reply #153 on: April 15, 2008, 09:25:42 AM »

Were starting Dr. Jekal Mr Hyde in school.

"I'm a man too, you know! I go pee-pee standing up!"
Patient7

Mwa Ha Ha Ha Ha

« Reply #154 on: April 15, 2008, 04:13:20 PM »

Were starting Dr. Jekal Mr Hyde in school.

I've been meaning to read that.

Barbeque sauce tastes good on EVERYTHING, even salad.

Yes, salad.
CheezeFlixz

Pathetic Earthlings

« Reply #155 on: April 19, 2008, 10:23:52 AM »

I'm re-reading the Foxfire series. You never know we might have to go back to living off the land and killing our own meat ... what a minute I already do that.

asimpson2006
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #156 on: April 21, 2008, 01:42:01 PM »

After finishing The Godfather on Saturday, I decided to start reading Iceman a autobiography written by Chuck Liddell.  From what I have gotten through so far, it is pretty good.
Hammock Rider

« Reply #157 on: April 21, 2008, 02:43:49 PM »

If you liked "The Godfather" then you should check out "Boss" by Mike Royko. It's about how Richard Daily rose to power as mayor of Chicago. The reason both books go together is both title characters used frighteningly similar methods to obtain and then maintain power even though one character is a power hungry scoundrel who rules his empire through illicit means and the other is a mafia kingpin Twirling

Seriously the similarities are amazing. People talk about how "The Prince" is the ultimate guide to gaining power but either of these books works pretty well too.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2008, 02:45:32 PM by Hammock Rider » Logged

Jumping Kings and Making Haste Ain't my Cup of Meat
asimpson2006
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #158 on: April 23, 2008, 12:30:25 PM »

If you liked "The Godfather" then you should check out "Boss" by Mike Royko. It's about how Richard Daily rose to power as mayor of Chicago. The reason both books go together is both title characters used frighteningly similar methods to obtain and then maintain power even though one character is a power hungry scoundrel who rules his empire through illicit means and the other is a mafia kingpin Twirling

Seriously the similarities are amazing. People talk about how "The Prince" is the ultimate guide to gaining power but either of these books works pretty well too.

I will keep that in mind, when I buy a new book or two in the near future.  I started a new book last night so, it's going to be a while until I finish it, then I'll probably get "Boss".

Spiff
Dedicated Viewer

« Reply #159 on: May 01, 2008, 08:06:01 AM »

Currently reading Massacre At Montsegur a history of the Albigensian crusade. After that it'll be back to Barrington J Bayley for something wacky with an abrupt ending. All the while keeping a beady eye on the somethime in the future of this year when Kraken by China Mieville will appear.
asimpson2006
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #160 on: May 01, 2008, 10:18:34 AM »

Currently reading Battlefield Earth: A Saga of the Year 3000.  I more less surprised that I am reading since I can't stand Scientology at all.  It is fine so far, but it just sems so dragged out at times.
KYGOTC
Corprate slimeball of E.E.S.

Be EXELLENT to each other...and PARTY ON DUDES!!

« Reply #161 on: May 01, 2008, 10:27:52 PM »

Currently reading Battlefield Earth: A Saga of the Year 3000.  I more less surprised that I am reading since I can't stand Scientology at all.  It is fine so far, but it just sems so dragged out at times.

I was meaning to get into "Battlefeild: Earth" but Ive heard bad things.

"I'm a man too, you know! I go pee-pee standing up!"
indianasmith
Archeologist, Theologian, Elder Scrolls Addict, and a
B-Movie Kraken

A good bad movie is like popcorn for the soul!

« Reply #162 on: May 01, 2008, 10:36:28 PM »

I kind of enjoyed Battlefield Earth when I read it years ago. But I was young then.

Just finished Harry Turtledove's SETTLING ACCOUNTS: THE GRAPPLE - an alternative history of World War II, with the Confederacy murdering millions of blacks in concentration camps while the U.S. Army throws the last CSA forces out of Ohio and begins pushing into Tennessee and Kentucky, and physicists on both sides work desperately to complete the first atomic bomb.  The next book is the last in the series; just waiting for the paperback to come out!  He sure has a way of making you think how things might have been.

"I shall smite you in the nostrils with a rod of iron, and wax your spleen with Efferdent!!"
asimpson2006
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #163 on: May 02, 2008, 07:59:34 AM »

I was meaning to get into "Battlefeild: Earth" but Ive heard bad things.

I know the move is awful, I'll make sure I have a few drinks in me before I watch it.  I got some slack for telling a co worker I was reading it, but that's about it.
Killer Bees
Newly Appointed Government Employee and

Never give up on love

« Reply #164 on: May 11, 2008, 11:02:24 PM »

Killer Instinct
by Joseph Finder

I initially picked this book up because the author's name is Joe (the name of my last boyfriend who I'm still not quite over).  Stupid reason, but there you have it.  Also, it was cheap.

It's the story of an electronics sales guy, Jason, who gets into a minor car accident and gets a tow to the mechanics.  The tow driver, Kurt, is an ex Special Forces guy who got a dishonourable discharge for punching his commanding officer.  So out of gratitude Jason gets Kurt a job at his company in their security department.

Once Kurt gets the job, he starts feeding Jason insider's background info on various employees at the company which gives Jason just the leg up he needs to make through the shark tank of electronic sales.  Then seemingly random bad things start happening to anyone who is in Jason's way of making it to the top.

Too late, Jason realises that Kurt is making these things and tries to stop him, but Kurt is having none of that.  So Jason tries to out fox the fox and keep himself and his newly pregnant wife out of harm's way.

I didn't like these characters at first.  Told in first person by Jason, he seemed to be arrogant and pushy and self absorbed and his wife is the epitome of rich girl fallen on hard times who pushes her husband up the corporate ladder so that she can play at lady of the manor.

But I did like Kurt.  Even when he started going psycho, I was rooting for him.  The book was simply written which I liked but Jason seemed like too much of a dumb arse to stay alive to the end.  Kurt, however, was menacing and nasty without being a stereotype.  I read this book in one day, courtesy of boring times here at work.

If you want something easily digested, then read this book.  But Shakespeare, it ain't.

I'd give it 3 our 5 stars

Flower, gleam and glow
Let your power shine
Make the clock reverse
Bring back what once was mine
Heal what has been hurt
Change the fates' design
Save what has been lost
Bring back what once was mine
What once was mine.......
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 14
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Entertainment  |  Books « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.