Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 01:43:17 AM
714392 Posts in 53096 Topics by 7742 Members
Latest Member: KathleneKa
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Crank « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Crank  (Read 6266 times)
Mr_Vindictive
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

By Sword. By Pick. By Axe. Bye Bye.

« Reply #15 on: January 18, 2007, 09:08:03 AM »

Hey speaking of Crank, can someone tell me what i missed (you can message me if you don't want to spoil it here.)

Supposedly there's something after the end of the credits, but we didn't fast forward through the end to see them (was watching the film with someone else and they turned it off shortly after the "end").

Thanks!

Once you make it past the credits, there is a quick flash of a scene.  It's the scene with Chev putting the gun up to Don Kim's head, but changed around quite a bit.

The shooter is not visible (if I remember correctly), and it's Chev sitting in the chair with the gun to his head.  Not sure what that means, but it's there anyway.

My wife wanted to watch the film last night, since she wasn't home when I originally watched it.  I finally was able to put my finger on what I loved about the film.  It's the best video game film ever made.  It's not based on a video game but I'll be damned if it doesn't play out as one.  The scenes with Chev chewing down the energy pills and such are him using power-ups!  Genius! 

A bald man named Savalas visited me last night in a dream.  I think it was a Telly vision.
dean

« Reply #16 on: January 19, 2007, 03:13:05 AM »

I liked some parts of it, namely some of the editing styles and some of the action scenes.

But I have to say, I really really dislike the people who made this film.

Mainly the writers.  I just loathe some of their ideas to the point I wanted to smash the tv screen to stop the pain [though of course, sucker that I am I didn't stop the film.]

Just some utter nonsense which could have made it a great film, but instead made it a mildly entertaining one once you got past its [very bad] flaws.

SPOILERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The scene where he steals the cab and yells 'Al Qaeda' to the people watching was pretty much what set  me off.  Such ignorant a moment, probably meant to be funny, because 'old people beating up a defenseless cab driver for being called a terrorist' is a laugh!

That sort of attitude makes me hate the filmmakers most of all.  I'm all for using terrorism as a joke at times, but that was just too terrible a moment to even be the least bit 'funny' to me.

On top of that there were many other bad points to be had:

The Hospital Gown: sure I can actually forgive this one, but the only reason why they had him dress up in it was to be able to hide for all of two seconds [the practical reason given in the film] when in fact the only reason why he did that was so the jokes later on could be 'check out the guy with the bare ass on the motorbike' or 'check out that crazy hospital guy's boner!'

I can forgive it for what it was trying to acheive, but am angry at how useless the set up to it was.  At least have some fun with it rather than have a plot point that is useless!

The other was the girlfriend.  Only there to take her kit off and essentially get raped in the middle of chinatown.  Having lecherous asians giving the thumbs up to what must have looked like rape is just a bad way to try and be funny.  Oh wait, but she liked it in the end?  Well so what?  The lead up to the 'I like it' part was clear grounds for the people watching to step in and stop it.  Sure have a public sex scene, I got no problems with that, but at least make it watchable! 

There's something being said about how much the makers of this film must hate their audience when they stop the sex scene right after she [finally] says 'yes' and the majority of it was just plain wrong wrong wrong!

SPOILERS END!!!!

Anyways, those are the main problems I had with the film.  I think it mainly stems from me seeing so much lost potential in the film.  All the problems I had were just from the utter uselessness of the scriptwriters in fulfilling the potential their jokes had, and it just fell flat because of it.

But besides all that, it was good to just zone out and watch, so I shouldn't complain too much.

Oh and Skaboi, you're spot on with the video game reference.

------------The password will be: Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch
Yaddo 42

Where's that brick.......

« Reply #17 on: January 19, 2007, 06:55:47 AM »

Dean hit on part of the "morally irresponsible" things about the movie.

This kind of movie laughs at believability, but if there had been people turning away as well as people cheering Chev on it might have worked better. I can see why he was repulsed by the scene, but you kind of knew she wasn't going to pull out a rape whistle or lecture him on respect of women in a movie like this. see if they had given him a scuzzier girlfriend like I suggested, they could have written it so that she was into doing it in public places in the first place. Make it her idea to get his energy level up rather than the way it was done that dean objected to.

They couldn't let him "finish" in Chinatown, just like the girlfriend not "finishing him off" in the car, he would get tired or fall asleep afterwards.

I can also see the problem with the "Al Qaeda" scene, it was one of those "that's awful but I'm laughing at how in bad taste it is" moments. Plus it seemed like the kind of thing a character like Chev would do. Just like his picking the fight in the black club to keep going. That one bothered me a bit (must be a Southern US thing) when he said it but it confirmed the direction the makers were going with the movie.

blah blah stuff blah blah obscure pop culture reference blah blah clever turn of phrase blah blah bad pun blah blah bad link blah blah zzzz.....
Torgo

« Reply #18 on: January 19, 2007, 06:27:07 PM »

I am accused of having absolutely no morals so pretty much nothing offends me, other than Kathy Bates' nude scene in About Schmidt.

"There is no way out of here. It'll be dark soon. There is no way out of here."
BTM

« Reply #19 on: January 20, 2007, 02:22:27 PM »

I am accused of having absolutely no morals so pretty much nothing offends me, other than Kathy Bates' nude scene in About Schmidt.

OH GOD!! FLASHBACK!!!

Now I'm blind for the next minutes....

"Some people mature, some just get older." -Andrew Vachss
dean

« Reply #20 on: January 21, 2007, 03:55:54 AM »

see if they had given him a scuzzier girlfriend like I suggested, they could have written it so that she was into doing it in public places in the first place. Make it her idea to get his energy level up rather than the way it was done that dean objected to.

Yup I totally agree.  The character just didn't work at all and was just handled so poorly.  If she was a, say, Julliette Lewis type character, then I would be thinking better of that scene.

They couldn't let him "finish" in Chinatown, just like the girlfriend not "finishing him off" in the car, he would get tired or fall asleep afterwards.

See, that works in the story, sure, but I just figured if you're going to have a public sex scene, at least have more of the fun parts rather than an idiotic quasi-rape scene, despite how much we as the audience knew she'd be all over it anyways.  I wasn't so much annoyed at the rape part, but at the thinking behind it.  That is, someone actually sat down and thought "Let's have her scream "NO" in the middle of a busy street.  Come on guys, it's both funny and HOT!"   Lookingup  This is opposed to "let's make it a great, fun, sex scene which really has the potential to be both entertaining, and sexy, and yes, ridiculous'

I guess I just would have handled things differently.

I can also see the problem with the "Al Qaeda" scene, it was one of those "that's awful but I'm laughing at how in bad taste it is" moments. Plus it seemed like the kind of thing a character like Chev would do. Just like his picking the fight in the black club to keep going. That one bothered me a bit (must be a Southern US thing) when he said it but it confirmed the direction the makers were going with the movie.

I'd laugh at how bad taste it was normally, since that  was a great line, it was the reaction to which it was given that just annoyed me.  Old people beating a taxi driver just because someone stole his car yelling 'AL Qaeda'?  I hate to sound like Wyre Wizard here, but it just seemed plain stupid to include it.  I think as a joke/entertainment it just fell completely flat for me, and instead of making me laugh it just made me hate the film.

Not much offends me, but I really do get angry when a good idea for a film is used in such a terrible way, and I just can't forgive it for being so damn idiotic.  You don't need to make it believable to make it a good film.

------------The password will be: Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch
Jordan
B-Movie Site Webmaster
Bad Movie Lover

Thunderball Fists?! I can have such a thing?!

« Reply #21 on: January 29, 2007, 02:05:27 AM »

dean, to be honest I thought the Al Queda joke was hilarious. But my taste of humor and film and my (some would say apparent) lack of political correctness are probably to blame. To each his own. As for the Chinatown scene, I just watched this film again tonight with my girlfriend. (She got a kick out of it by the way, ESPECIALLY the Chinatown scene! Whoda thunk it?!) It wasn't really a rape scene because Chev's girl totally eggs him and on after she fights off his first advance. Once he starts railing her on the mailbox, she starts loving it. My point: You can't rape the willing.  Wink  BounceGiggle

-----
The Vault Master
Caretaker of The B-Movie Film Vault
-----
Pages: 1 [2]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Crank « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.