Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 18, 2024, 09:22:07 PM
712916 Posts in 53040 Topics by 7722 Members
Latest Member: GenevaBarr
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Entertainment  |  New Paintball Marker « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: New Paintball Marker  (Read 9228 times)
Andrew
Administrator
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

I know where my towel is.

« on: February 25, 2007, 07:53:46 AM »

I have gotten back into playing paintball recently and found that my beloved Automag was outmatched by the electronic markers that are now common.  She still shot nice and straight, at a decent rate of fire, but getting into a shootout with somebody who has a $1000 electro put me at a severe disadvantage.  They can set their trigger so that the DM-7, Angel, or whatever marker would put 20 balls into the air.  With an electro the person does not need to learn how to pull the trigger correctly like you do on a mechanical.

One thing I refuse to do is go electric.  Part of that is maintenance; with a mechanical marker I can be pretty sure it will still be working many years from now.  In fact, my Automag is 7 or 8 years old and has only ever needed o-rings and the bolt spring replaced (you need to replace the bolt spring after 20,000 - 30,000 shots).  Another reason is that I like needing to learn how to use the trigger correctly.

I put together a custom version of the newest Automag, which is called an RT Pro.  With it, you can adjust the trigger by adding little shims inside the valve.  I have it down to less than one pound and spent some time dry firing it to learn the trigger.  It shoots amazingly fast for an all mechanical.  Had to get a new electronic hopper (you cannot get away from an electronic system for the loader at present), because I could outrun the old one.

Played yesterday and wow, great marker.  There was a DM-7 out there and I could get into a shootout with him and not be seriously outgunned.  He could shoot faster than me (no way I can shoot faster than a high-end electro), but I was not seriously outmatched.  Put a full case of paintballs through it and it did not break a single one all day.  I was the only person out there who did not break a ball in their marker - though I did break one in a pod during a rush when I slide hard into cover behind some logs.

The mandatory pic:

Andrew Borntreger
Badmovies.org
Menard
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2007, 03:36:04 PM »

I have never played paintball myself, though I had wanted to back when some of the gamers at the game shop had gotten into it; but that was around 1980-81. Most of them back then were using a single-shot bolt-action pistol which used CO2 cartridges. I don't know if the paintballs have changed much since then, but they would leave some pretty good bruises on these guys.

I remember having seen an automag advertised a while later; probably in the U.S. Cav catalog, or somewhere like that. Though bulkier than your's (your's looks more like a Sten where this one looked more like an oversized Mac-10), the setup was similar. If I remember correctly, the one I saw took a CO2 cannister. Does your's have the option of a cannister or an external tank (like shown in the picture)?

P.S. I know I said your's looks like a Sten at first, which is what I can best recall by name, but looking at it more, there is a German arm, for the life of me I can't recall the name, which it seems to resemble more. Is your's based on a particular firearm?
« Last Edit: February 25, 2007, 03:41:11 PM by Menard » Logged
Andrew
Administrator

« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2007, 06:12:17 PM »

My first marker was a good old Splatmaster, which looked a lot like a .45.  That is probably the one you remember your friends having.  I do not think that they will shoot as high a velocity as the new markers are allowed (velocity is normally capped at 280 - 300 fps and you must fire the marker over a chronograph prior to play).  I think that the Splatmaster probably fired around 250 fps.

Until the late 80's, the Splatmaster was about it.  Then you started getting stuff like the PGP, which looked like a thick pistol with a pump on it.  Pumps were the main marker from about 1988 to 1993 or so, if memory serves.  After that, the semiautomatic market took off.  Electric markers, which you pull the trigger and a solenoid actually fires it for you, started a while ago but I noticed them getting big sometime around 2002-2003.  Nowdays, pretty much anyone who plays competitive uses an electro (as do legions of annoying 16 year-olds).

However, you are right that the paintballs might have had a thicker shell back then.  Since a paintball must break for the hit to count, most paint these days is manufactured to be fragile as possible without leading to breaks during loading or firing.  I still get bruises most of the time through the old set of cammies I wear to play.  Tournament players buy special paintball jerseys and pants that are loose and billowy (to reduce the chance a ball will break).

My newest marker must run on compressed air.  I could use CO2 in it, but the valve was made to run on compressed air.  The tank you see on it is a 68 cubic inch, 4500 psi fiber-wrapped tank with a 800 PSI regulator.  I get about 1000-1100 shots from a full tank.  Any marker will run better on compressed air, because you get better consistency.  My old Automag did use CO2 for a while, but it used the classic valve that was originally designed when CO2 was the only thing available.

Very few people use 12-gram anymore, except those who play in pump leagues.  Pump is a lot of fun, so I have been thinking about picking up a good pump marker like a Phantom:

http://www.phantomonline.com/paintballguns/paintballguns.htm

I have never read Tom Kaye (the daddy of Automags) say that the design was based on a real firearm.  I would say it looks that way because it is designed around the valve.  Maybe you think it looks like a M3 submachine gun?

http://world.guns.ru/smg/smg32-e.htm

This is a thread on the Automags forum with lots of pictures.  People tend to customize their markers, because the AGD products are very modular:

http://www.automags.org/forums/showthread.php?t=5895&page=72&pp=30

The valves, both the old and the new (this is the new, same as I have), all look roughly like this:

http://www.airgun.com/Products/xvalve.shtml

Andrew Borntreger
Badmovies.org
Andrew
Administrator

« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2007, 06:20:45 PM »

This was the first marker I ever bought brand new (main marker from about 1995 - 2000).  It is HEAVY, but built like a tank:

This was my Automag since around 2000 all the way until the new one came along (it used to have the double trigger grip, but I swapped that to the new marker):

Andrew Borntreger
Badmovies.org
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Entertainment  |  New Paintball Marker « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.