Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 19, 2024, 04:17:49 AM
712925 Posts in 53040 Topics by 7722 Members
Latest Member: GenevaBarr
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  Wilder Napalm (1993) « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Wilder Napalm (1993)  (Read 7786 times)
trekgeezer
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

We're all just victims of circumstance

« on: January 27, 2007, 06:06:45 PM »

Wallace (Dennis Quaid) and Wilder (Arliss Howard) are brothers who share a talent, they are both pyrokinetics. They also both love the same woman, Vida (Debra Winger), who is a bit of a pyromaniac herself. 

Because of a fatal accident when they were children Wilder has kept his abilities secret and tried to live a normal life in their sleepy little home town. He is married to Vida and makes a living manning a photo booth in the parking lot at an apparently out of business shopping center. He is also a volunteer firemen.

When the carnival comes to town and sets up in the parking lot next to Wilder's photo booth his life is turned up side down because his brother Wallace is one of the attractions (Biff the Clown). Wallace has no qualms about his fire starting powers (he plans to go on Letterman with them). He also has no qualms about showing his affection for Wilder's wife.

One thing leads to another until the final showdown between the two and Wilder finally has to come to grips with his gift.

This is very quirky movie with some interesting characters.  Quaid plays Wallace with a great amount of glee, makeing good use of  his wicked smile and that look of devilment in his eyes.  The special effects are great and look out for an appearance by Jim Varney who plays Rex the carnival owner.

This movie was directed by Glenn Gordon Caron, the man who introduced us to Bruce Willis in Moonlighting.

I picked up the DVD at Big Lots for $3, although I had seen  the movie on HBO back in 1994 or so.

I don't think it's for everybody, but I really liked it.

And you thought Trek isn't cool.
akiratubo

« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2007, 07:45:24 AM »

Seems like I caught most of this on TV and thought there was to much interpersonal drama and too little pyrokinesis.  If the DVD is that cheap, it couldn't hurt to check it out again.

Kneel before Dr. Hell, the ruler of this world!
Scott

Hey, I'm in the situation room ! ! !

« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2007, 11:15:16 PM »

Had a chance to pick this up at Big Lots for $3.00 or $4.00. It looked interesting, but didn't want to put the money out. Maybe I'll get it.

Scott

« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2007, 11:34:11 AM »

Ok, I picked it up yesterday for $3.00 at Big Lots and it's going to be my next viewing. Perhaps today.  Smile

Scott

« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2007, 10:44:55 PM »

Wilder Napalm (1993) - Starring Dennis Quad, Debra Winger in a film about two brothers who can start fires  hot with their minds. The film starts out colorful and then fades out a bit as both brothers won't go public with their powers and work lowly jobs as photo drop person and the other as a clown in the carnival. The older brother doesn't want to go public because scientist will want to experiment and probe them and treat them as freaks.

After not seeing each other for 5 years the brothers meet as the carnival comes to town and Quaid who wants to go on the Letterman Show is ready to go public and the other brothers wife wants more out of life gets together which the brother which causes some real fireworks in town.

Good film, but Winger gets annoying in parts and the film doesn't take us far from the hum drum life of all involved. Which could have been done right, but these actors and script dragged for me. The best part of the film was Quaid as the clown, lead carnival guy, and the singing firemen quartet. Other than that the film didn't work well for me.

(6 out of 10 Stars)  Thumbup Ok 90's film.

« Last Edit: March 03, 2007, 11:31:23 PM by Scott » Logged

Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  Wilder Napalm (1993) « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.