Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 04:36:17 PM
714454 Posts in 53097 Topics by 7742 Members
Latest Member: KathleneKa
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  10 Good Lesser Known Films Worth Finding « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: 10 Good Lesser Known Films Worth Finding  (Read 22797 times)
Scott
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

Hey, I'm in the situation room ! ! !

« on: January 24, 2007, 10:29:19 PM »

These are film that I have enjoyed over the years that I hear very little about when it comes to movie conversation. Made imdb.com links to them all so you can get an idea for yourselves. Just a list of films that that you might also enjoy.

Ten Little Indians (1965)
Mountains Of The Moon (1990)
Charge Of The Light Brigade (1968)
Brother Sun, Sister Moon (1972)
Moon Over Parador (1988)
Walker (1987)
Dr. Detroit (1983)
Burn ! (1969)
The Story Of "O" (1975)
Temptation Of A Monk (1993)
« Last Edit: January 24, 2007, 10:41:19 PM by Scott » Logged

BoyScoutKevin

« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2007, 02:06:49 PM »

I've seen "Ten Little Indians," "Mountains of the Moon," "Burn," and "Brother Sun, Sister Moon," and I've always wanted to see "Charge of the Light Brigade." As an added note,
 "Ten Little Indians" and "Charge of the Light Brigade" are remakes of earlier films
Scott

« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2007, 08:50:33 PM »

They are remakes and I've seen the original one with Erol Flynn and the original murder mystery AND THEN THERE WHERE NONE. Here's a case where both the originals and the remakes where good.  Smile

Yaddo 42

Where's that brick.......

« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2007, 04:56:48 AM »

Burn! and Mountains of the Moon are personal favorites of mine. MOTM was my real introduction to Richard Francis Burton, although the source book and film take liberties with the real events. Truly interesting man who I've since read two biographies of, and intend to read more. The film is better than the book IMO, it's an overwritten piece of bad historical fiction that I couldn't finish. Have you seen The Mission or Black Robe, all three films remind me of each other.

Moon over Parador and Dr. Detroit are 80s comedies that I have never cared for very much. Although I give MOP for trying to be more clever than a lot of comedies from the time.

Walker I've seen part of but not enough to make a judgement on, but the story of the the making of it is interesting, and I want to read more about the real William Walker as well.

I've seen part of Ten Little Indians but it was a long time ago and not enough to make the call on either. One of those "I'll catch next time" films that I never ran across again.

blah blah stuff blah blah obscure pop culture reference blah blah clever turn of phrase blah blah bad pun blah blah bad link blah blah zzzz.....
peter johnson

« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2007, 12:44:54 AM »

"Burn", for some reason, used to play a lot on local TV in Virginia -- maybe someone there had an "in" with the picture.  So I saw this a lot many years ago.  I think I own "Moon Over Parador" -- I was always a huge Sonia Braga fan, and my wife was in love with Raul Julia at one point, so we have all their movies behind a box somewhere --
Now, for the life of me, by what stretch do you call "Dr. Detroit" "good"?
I was a huge fan of all things SNL, so when this came out, I ran to the theatre to see it on the big screen, thinking to find some of the SNL wit and risk-taking.  What I saw was a lot of padding and scenes that went nowhere.   Plus a lot of gratuituous, pointless set-up for jokes that never paid off.  For me, this film was just an interminable wait for something to happen . . . and nothing did.  Aykroyd was physically funny as the Detroit character, but he really wasn't given anything to do.  Lines like "I'm going to rip your head off and (poo) down your neck" could have been funny if there were any sort of context for them.  Not for one minute did I accept that Nancy whats-her-name actress as a "Crime Boss".
Oh, well -- at least Aykroyd met his future wife on the production, so at least he got something out of it.  Me, I want my money back.
peter johnson/denny crane

I have no idea what this means.
Scott

« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2007, 11:42:56 AM »

Don't know why exactly Peter Johnson, but perhaps it was all the diverse group Dan Akroyd was helping.  Smile Just thought someone here might enjoy it as I did in the 80's. It seems to be forgotten and better in my opinion for different reasons, but perhaps not as a comedy so much. Another one I liked was Dan Akroyd in NIEGHBORS with Jim Belushi. NIEGHBORS isn't as good as DR. DETROIT, but I liked it.

Gerry
B-Movie Site Webmaster
Bad Movie Lover

It's not what you say, it's how you say it.

« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2007, 12:00:46 PM »

Here are a few of my own recommendations that are definitely worth tracking down:

SIX HOURS TO LIVE
IT HAPPENED TOMORROW
A WARNING TO THE CURIOUS
THE ASH TREE
WHISTLE AND I'LL COME TO YOU
THE SIGNALMAN
A NOUS LA LIBERTE (LIBERTY FOR US)
CALL OF CTHULHU
Scott

« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2007, 05:45:13 PM »

Gerry, you have a good eye for film. Some interesting films there. Looked them up on imdb.com. Will keep a look out for them. Thanks.

Time travel, ghost stories, Lovecraft.

Gerry
B-Movie Site Webmaster
Bad Movie Lover

It's not what you say, it's how you say it.

« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2007, 06:24:10 PM »

All well worth the effort.  CALL OF CTHULHU is available here.  You can view the trailer here.
Him
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2007, 07:42:21 PM »

Try A Soldiers Story. Great movie.
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

"Charlie,we're in HELL!"-"yeah,ain't it groovy?!"

« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2007, 09:42:47 PM »

I would like to recommend a few unheraled classicks,in my own humble opinion.
MANSON(197?) This is a documentary, and NO, I am not a Manson freak,but if you watch it,you too will understand why it was nominated for an Acadamy Award.A  time capsule  into a f*cked up page of American history.Unbelievebly, by the same guy who gave us the BLACK ANGELS(197?) and WHATEVER HAPPENED to COUNT DRACULA?(1970),which had an r and x rated version. Incidently,he was also the voice of the SHADOW radio program in the 1940's. He was eventually murdered by a student of one of his acting classes,in Chicago.

"Supernatural?...perhaps. Baloney?...Perhaps not!" Bela Lugosi-the BLACK CAT (1934)
Interviewer-"Does Dracula ever end for you?
Lugosi-"No. Dracula-never ends."

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
https://www.tumblr.com/ronmerchant
pinkandbluefilms
Dedicated Viewer

« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2009, 06:51:27 PM »

1. The Swimmer. Dir. Frank Perry. Starring Burt Lancaster.
2. The Magic Christian. Dir. Joseph McGrath. Starring Peter Sellers and Ringo Starr.
3. Mahler. Dir. Ken Russell, starring Robert Powell (the vastly underrated Russell's most personal film).
4. Comanche Station. Dir. Budd Boetticher, starring Randolph Scott. The most sublime of Boetticher's chamber westerns.
5. West of Zanzibar. Dir. Todd Browning. Starring Lon Chaney. Right up there with 'The Unknown'. The fact that it's never  been released in any format borders on criminal negligence.
6. Oedipus Rex. Dir. Julie Taymor. Stravinsky's avant garde opera made even more stylish and bizarre. If people saw more contemporary, highly original, cutting edge productions like this, then the idea of opera being solely for overweight, pretentious conservatives  who only like 300 year old music would become extinct (as opposed to the art form becoming extinct, which it surely is).
7. The Charlie Bowers collection. Andre Breton and Bunuel loved this highly original, sadly forgotten surrealist. Unfortunately, Bowers did not have the personality of Chaplin or Keaton but was more innovative than all of the silent clowns. He mixed animation and live action. He usually played an inventor  and his inventions range from an unbreakable egg (which eventually hatches Model T Fords) to the no slip banana skin (and don't forget the metal eating bird).
8. Maya Deren: Experimental Films.  "Meshes of the afternoon" and "At Land" are two of the most intoxicating, almost impossible to describe films I've ever seen. The short lived Deren once bragged that she made films for what Hollywood spent on a box of tissues.
9.The films of Daina Krumins. Only available from Canyon Cinema, Krumins has only made three films. Both "The Divine Miracle" and 'Babobilicons' have rightly become legendary in surrealist appreciation circles.
10. Georges Melies; First Wizard of Cinema.  Cinema before the rules were  set of what does and what does not constitute 'film'.
Sister Grace

I found my mind in a brown paper bag...

« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2009, 08:09:44 PM »

These are film that I have enjoyed over the years that I hear very little about when it comes to movie conversation. Made imdb.com links to them all so you can get an idea for yourselves. Just a list of films that that you might also enjoy.

The Story Of "O" (1975)

The Story of O was a great movie indeed, however it really didn't do the book justice, I still enjoyed it greatly though. As for hidden gems, ones I have came across lately have been:

Spiral
Out of Mind (hp lovecraft)
Henry Poole is Here
Tales of the Zatoichi (this one is probably well-discussed with alot of people, but I had never heard much about them)
They Came Back (french movie)
The Wishing Stairs

Society, exactly as it now exists is the ultimate expression of sadomasochism in action.<br />-boyd rice-<br />On the screen, there\\\'s a death and the rustle of cloth; and a sickly voice calling me handsome...<br />-Nick Cave-
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

Click on that globe for 366 Weird Movies

« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2009, 10:11:50 PM »

1. The Swimmer. Dir. Frank Perry. Starring Burt Lancaster.
2. The Magic Christian. Dir. Joseph McGrath. Starring Peter Sellers and Ringo Starr.
3. Mahler. Dir. Ken Russell, starring Robert Powell (the vastly underrated Russell's most personal film).
4. Comanche Station. Dir. Budd Boetticher, starring Randolph Scott. The most sublime of Boetticher's chamber westerns.
5. West of Zanzibar. Dir. Todd Browning. Starring Lon Chaney. Right up there with 'The Unknown'. The fact that it's never  been released in any format borders on criminal negligence.
6. Oedipus Rex. Dir. Julie Taymor. Stravinsky's avant garde opera made even more stylish and bizarre. If people saw more contemporary, highly original, cutting edge productions like this, then the idea of opera being solely for overweight, pretentious conservatives  who only like 300 year old music would become extinct (as opposed to the art form becoming extinct, which it surely is).
7. The Charlie Bowers collection. Andre Breton and Bunuel loved this highly original, sadly forgotten surrealist. Unfortunately, Bowers did not have the personality of Chaplin or Keaton but was more innovative than all of the silent clowns. He mixed animation and live action. He usually played an inventor  and his inventions range from an unbreakable egg (which eventually hatches Model T Fords) to the no slip banana skin (and don't forget the metal eating bird).
8. Maya Deren: Experimental Films.  "Meshes of the afternoon" and "At Land" are two of the most intoxicating, almost impossible to describe films I've ever seen. The short lived Deren once bragged that she made films for what Hollywood spent on a box of tissues.
9.The films of Daina Krumins. Only available from Canyon Cinema, Krumins has only made three films. Both "The Divine Miracle" and 'Babobilicons' have rightly become legendary in surrealist appreciation circles.
10. Georges Melies; First Wizard of Cinema.  Cinema before the rules were  set of what does and what does not constitute 'film'.

Your tastes match with mine, Mr. Surrealism.  Several of those are on my list to track down.  The only one I've seen is THE MAGIC CHRISTIAN, which I found disappointing but worthwhile.  (I prefer the novel).  And the Melies films, though I've never seen that particular collection.

I'll take you places the hand of man has not yet set foot...
The Burgomaster
Aggravating People Worldwide Since 1964

« Reply #14 on: March 10, 2009, 06:16:38 AM »

* STREAMERS - Adapted from David Rabe's stage play.  It takes place in a military barracks and has some really great, tense dialogue.  It was directed by Robert Altman, so you may find it to be too slow moving.  But I've seen it about 3 times and I enjoyed it each time.  Starring Matthew Modine and George Dzundza.

* SOLDIER OF ORANGE - Directed by Paul Verhoeven (before Robocop) and starring Rutger Hauer (before he became a B-movie hero).

* THE TIN DRUM - A surreal, disturbing film about a boy who "refuses" to grow up during the rise of the Nazi party in Germany.

* FUNNY GAMES - The original 1997 German-language version.  Has a few very disturbing moments.

* THE WAGES OF FEAR - Intense story about a group of down-and-out guys in South America who accept a job transporting trucks full of nitroglycerin across dangerous terrain to blow out an oil well fire.  Starts off a bit slow, but the riveting suspense and great ending make this is a true classic.  William Friedkin remade it as SORCERER.

"Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me either. Just pretty much leave me the hell alone."
Pages: [1] 2
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  10 Good Lesser Known Films Worth Finding « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.