Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 06:55:23 AM
714393 Posts in 53096 Topics by 7742 Members
Latest Member: KathleneKa
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  How geeky are you? « previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5
Author Topic: How geeky are you?  (Read 26884 times)
Gerry
B-Movie Site Webmaster
Bad Movie Lover

It's not what you say, it's how you say it.

« Reply #30 on: February 01, 2007, 07:25:54 PM »

I ranked 29.19132%.

I gave myself extra geek points for have the Danish version of REPTILICUS and the Japanese version of THE GREEN SLIME (both without subtitles) and have watched them more than once.
Dennis
Yes, it's true, absolutely true. I am a
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

I'm sorry, did I break your concentration?

« Reply #31 on: February 01, 2007, 09:11:55 PM »

Got a 28.80, total geek BounceGiggle BounceGiggle

and I'm real proud BounceGiggle BounceGiggle

Reach for the heavens in hope for the future for all that we can be, not what we are. Henry John Deutschendorf Jr.
Dennis
Yes, it's true, absolutely true. I am a

I'm sorry, did I break your concentration?

« Reply #32 on: February 01, 2007, 09:33:35 PM »

I'm pretty geeky because today when i got to school, i went outside to the court (not basket ball related. its just a huge, concrete slab that is underneath a catwalk) and etched with my feet the words "DONT PANIC" into the snow on the ground in reeely big letters. Since this morning Ive been asked about 2 dozen times what it means and why the hell i did it.

I think i would be clasified more as a "nerd" as oposed to a geek.

Awesome.

I often make jokes about 42.  Nobody ever seems to get them.  Also, saying "So Long And Thanks For All The Fish" when leaving somewhere always leads to a lot of questions.

I tried this at work a couple times, only had one response from a customer who said "Don't forget your towel", my co-workers asked what that was all about, when I said Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy, they asked if that was from the Discovery Channel, our receptionist set them all straight by saying it was a movie for nerds and geeks.
Tomorrow when I get in I'm going to show them my test results and proudly assume the role of Office Geek. Cheers

Reach for the heavens in hope for the future for all that we can be, not what we are. Henry John Deutschendorf Jr.
Yaddo 42

Where's that brick.......

« Reply #33 on: February 02, 2007, 08:50:10 AM »

Part of my screenname here should reveal I'm a Douglas Adams geek.

Nope, Ash, I've been taught the moves of the various pieces and some basics, but not to any level that I would say I know what I am doing if I were to play a match. By all rights it should appeal to me, but it doesn't. Since I look at it as an abstraction of tactics and warfare, and it has rules, but to me warfare has no real rules in the end, chess seems pointless.

Last night the girl ( the same one who plays chess) and I watched Holy Grail with some friends of hers. One friend was a Python geek like me, why couldn't I have met a girl like that when I was in still college, we even both like the Marx Bros. and Red Green! But the one I like didn't really like it that much, her sense of the absurd just doesn't go that far I guess. This was her second attempt to watch it. Plus she had trouble hearing the dialogue, which couldn't have helped.

blah blah stuff blah blah obscure pop culture reference blah blah clever turn of phrase blah blah bad pun blah blah bad link blah blah zzzz.....
Derf
Crazy Rabbity Thingy
Proofreader

Lagomorphs: menace or underutilized resource?

« Reply #34 on: February 02, 2007, 08:51:04 PM »

I scored a 33.53057% - Total Geek, which I know for a fact is too low. I think I should get extra points for being offended at not scoring higher  TeddyR. I'm not totally inept in social situations, but I avoid them more often than not, just because I despise small talk. I also hate sports, so I can rarely find anything to say to men in this area, and, well, I am a geek, so women find very little to say to me. I have many more obscure movies than are on their obscure movie list (Forbidden Zone, The Godmonster of Indian Flats, and the entire three-season collection of Gilligan's Island, among others). I teach English lit classes. I didn't have a date in high school. At all. And I'm proudly proclaiming it on the internet. Maybe I'd better just shut my pie hole now  TongueOut.

"They tap dance not, neither do they fart." --Greensleeves, on the Fig Men of the Imagination, in "Twice Upon a Time."
Doggett
Bustin' makes me feel good !

I've seen things you people couldn't imagine...

« Reply #35 on: February 09, 2009, 08:37:18 PM »

Well, maybe not a game as such, but hey, it's something to pass the time!

After reading some of that 'what do you collect' thread, I got to thinking about those of us who spend our time on the internerd.  So I figured, why not get to know your fellow board members' darker sides.  Their geekier/nerdier side.

Sure some are obvious, but how about we all get to know some of our embarrassing quirks/little things that make us tic.

Basically I want to hear about your nerdier moments.  I know you have them!  Maybe something we don't know, or maybe elaborate on something we already know!

I'll start it off:

I'm geeky because I quoted part of Bilbo Baggins' speech from Fellowship of the Ring as part of my thank you for my 21st. 

I think I confused some people...

Buggedout

I got a framed, original Batman Returns poster for my 18th !

If God exists, why did he make me an atheist? Thats His first mistake.
sideorderofninjas
B-Movie Site Webmaster
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #36 on: February 10, 2009, 12:40:57 AM »

Just a Major Geek with 40.23669. 

Too bad, the test doesn't fuse our geekality and nerdosity together...

SideOrderOfNinjas
http://www.sideorderofninjas.com

"Wielding useless trivia like a katana."
ghouck

Afro-Mullets RULE!

« Reply #37 on: February 10, 2009, 01:13:56 AM »

21.6, , , I'm ok with that.

Raw bacon is GREAT! It's like regular bacon, only faster, and it doesn't burn the roof of your mouth!

Happiness is green text in the "Stuff To Watch For" section.

James James: The man so nice, they named him twice.

"Aw man, this thong is chafing my balls" -Lloyd Kaufman in Poultrygeist.

"There's always time for lubricant" -Orlando Jones in Evolution
Paquita

« Reply #38 on: February 10, 2009, 03:05:52 AM »

37.27811% - Major Geek

:( I think I got extra points for being a girl.
Zapranoth
Eye of Sauron and

« Reply #39 on: February 10, 2009, 03:21:49 AM »

24.65% here.  Solidly a Geek.  I knew that.

They only allow for "2+" Dragonlance characters.  What is that all about?  Any schlub can name Caramon and Raistlin.  C'mawn!

I would also propose an item that reads "I prefer the term technosexual" on the test.   TeddyR

Zapranoth
Eye of Sauron and

« Reply #40 on: February 10, 2009, 03:23:35 AM »

Off the cuff (no reading wikipedia or other sites to answer):   what is the difference between a geek and a nerd, if any?  (I'm talking in terms of modern usage of the term.)

According to my nurse, who has two teenagers, "geek" is a pejorative term meaning an unclean techno-obsessive type who has greasy hair, poor hygiene, inept social skills, etc.   "Nerd" is a kind of cool character with skills and wit, a desirable trait, not pejorative.
Derf
Crazy Rabbity Thingy
Proofreader

Lagomorphs: menace or underutilized resource?

« Reply #41 on: February 10, 2009, 08:25:12 AM »

Off the cuff (no reading wikipedia or other sites to answer):   what is the difference between a geek and a nerd, if any?  (I'm talking in terms of modern usage of the term.)

According to my nurse, who has two teenagers, "geek" is a pejorative term meaning an unclean techno-obsessive type who has greasy hair, poor hygiene, inept social skills, etc.   "Nerd" is a kind of cool character with skills and wit, a desirable trait, not pejorative.

In my experience, "geek" has more to do with social skills (or rather lack thereof), while "nerd" has more to do with an overabundance of mental ability. These characteristics do fluctuate, though; sometimes "geek" just means a person who is a fanatic about some pop culture/technological thing (Best Buy's Geek Squad, for example, or a movie geek, a music geek, etc.). And sometimes "nerd" means basically the same thing. In the latter sense, neither term is pejorative. In the first, both often carry a negative connotation. As you know, language is sometimes imprecise, and people don't really think about what they are saying, so the definitions of words change over time. These days, I'm not sure there is any real, appreciable difference between the terms "geek" and "nerd."

P.S.--Do I get any extra Nerd Points for my answer?  TeddyR

"They tap dance not, neither do they fart." --Greensleeves, on the Fig Men of the Imagination, in "Twice Upon a Time."
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

"Charlie,we're in HELL!"-"yeah,ain't it groovy?!"

« Reply #42 on: February 10, 2009, 09:37:24 AM »

I re-took the test...it's been a little over 2 years and a month since I first took it. For some reason I am now 28.59961% =Total Geek. See what hanging out with you guys  has done!   Buggedout

"Supernatural?...perhaps. Baloney?...Perhaps not!" Bela Lugosi-the BLACK CAT (1934)
Interviewer-"Does Dracula ever end for you?
Lugosi-"No. Dracula-never ends."

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
https://www.tumblr.com/ronmerchant
Paquita

« Reply #43 on: February 10, 2009, 10:04:40 AM »

I always thought the actual definition of a geek was someone that bites heads off chickens in carnival side shows.. so I never really use the term because of that. 
If I was going to take the modern definition of geek and nerd, I kind of thought it was the opposite of what Derf explained - where a Geek is more the science/book/fact/trivia obsessed guy and a Nerd is the RPG/sci-fi/horror/school supply obsessed guy and the major difference being that you do not have to be smart to be a nerd but you do have to be smart to be a geek, and you can be a combination of both.
AndyC
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #44 on: February 10, 2009, 10:06:57 AM »

I scored 35 and change. Total Geek. Seems fair.

---------------------
"Join me in the abyss of savings."
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  How geeky are you? « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.