Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 10:08:47 PM
714392 Posts in 53096 Topics by 7742 Members
Latest Member: KathleneKa
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Brides of Blood « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Brides of Blood  (Read 1842 times)
Andrew
Administrator
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

I know where my towel is.

« on: February 25, 2007, 08:22:19 AM »

Started watching the four-movie Pacific Island exploitation series with the first film, "Brides of Blood."

The story is that a young man, who is an engineering type (think solo Peace Corps) accompanies an older scientist and his very unfaithful wife (the scientist's wife, that is) to an island that was near the Pacific atomic tests.  They find that strange mutations abound on the island, but that they only manifest on certain nights.  Then, the place comes alive with trees that grab people and bizarre creatures.  When the time passes, all of the mutations return to looking normal.

For the centerpiece of this plot, we have a mutant humanoid that is feared by the villagers.  To placate the beast they stake out two young women near a primitive idol.  The massively strong mutant has sex with the women, then rips them apart.  That is a waste, you know.  Women tend to be good for that more than once.

Also on the island is a rich man who has a single bald native assistant and about half a dozen midget native servants!  The midgets run around when visitors come to the rich man's mansion, taking up hiding places and peering out around corners.  They also serve all the meals.

The cheating wife, deprived of likely men to have sex with (except the rich guy and he seems oblivious to her offers) has several scenes where she acts like an addict needing a hit.  You can just see her thinking, "I need loving RIGHT NOW!"  Um, "loving" might be too tame of a term, but I think Menard and Dean have used up our quota for references to the male genitalia for this month.

Rather silly at times, but I enjoyed the low budget exploitation flick.  I also thought that some of the scenes with the mutated jungle coming alive (largely done with puppetry and wires) were pretty effective.  The mutant human looked strange, but I did not spend the whole movie laughing at it.  I did laugh when I realized it was "dismantling" the women after it finished with them.

Andrew Borntreger
Badmovies.org
Scott

Hey, I'm in the situation room ! ! !

« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2007, 10:52:25 PM »

Remember liking this one a bit. Not a great film, but I liked the tree roots that grabbed people walking about and the women sacrificed to the creature.

« Last Edit: February 25, 2007, 10:54:36 PM by Scott » Logged

Dennis
Yes, it's true, absolutely true. I am a

I'm sorry, did I break your concentration?

« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2007, 01:50:58 AM »

This is a movie I'm sure I've seen on a late night horror TV show, but it was so heavily edited that the movie was barely understandable, I really hate it when they do this. Hatred

Reach for the heavens in hope for the future for all that we can be, not what we are. Henry John Deutschendorf Jr.
Scott

« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2007, 06:20:27 AM »

The other one that I've seen from this collection is called BLOOD OF THE VAMPIRES and also made in the Philippines. Actually own a copy of this one. Both are worth a good look. I kinda like my copy as early in the film an old lady vampire is locked in a basement and heard screaming while a party goes on above. Though it's not part of the Blood Collection you might want to look at TERROR WAS A MAN also from the Philippines.  Not really much to censor in any of these movies, but you'll enjoy them anyway.

Andrew
Administrator

I know where my towel is.

« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2007, 12:00:15 PM »

I definitely enjoyed "Brides of Blood" more than "Terror is a Man."  Watched about half of the next film in the series, "Mad Doctor of Blood Island" and it started out really slow.  In fact, it has not gotten anywhere yet.  Hoping that the second half will be more interesting.  I've seen the third film before and remember liking the monster in that, which apparently was introduced in the one I am trying to watch now.

Another bit not to be missed in "Brides of Blood" is the ritual at the end of the movie.  All the women go and dance, picking out mates from the assembled men.  The pairs then run out into the jungle to do the wild thing.

Andrew Borntreger
Badmovies.org
Scott

« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2007, 10:07:31 PM »

BRIDES OF BLOOD is supposed to be the better of the Blood Collection, so if you only have time for one then BRIDES OF BLOOD is the one to pick.

Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Brides of Blood « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.