Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 19, 2024, 12:45:09 AM
712922 Posts in 53040 Topics by 7722 Members
Latest Member: GenevaBarr
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Simpsons in Canada « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Author Topic: Simpsons in Canada  (Read 8324 times)
AndyC
« Reply #15 on: February 19, 2002, 01:52:17 PM »

Canadian Bacon is a really good movie for a number of reasons. It pokes fun at Canadians and Americans alike, and a lot of Canadians are involved, so the jokes are on target. It went over very well in Canada.
Trumpey
« Reply #16 on: February 19, 2002, 04:30:39 PM »

America Jr.
The Honn
« Reply #17 on: February 19, 2002, 07:00:30 PM »

Back to the topic, or at least the subject of the Simpsons-they should have stuck a fork in the series a long time ago. I lost interest over a year ago and each new episode I see just doesnt seem to be funny. The Simpsons was at its peek from about 1992 to 1997. Futurama wasnt as good, but it had more imagination. Family Guy was fantastic and Im surprised it hasnt gained The Simpsons' popularity in half the time.
Cullen
« Reply #18 on: February 19, 2002, 09:44:26 PM »

I still like “The Simpsons,” but I have never watched it regularly.  Plus, my tastes are notoriously bad.  (For instance, I like "Casablanca" and the original "Psycho.”  I mean, how bad can you get?)
Flangepart
« Reply #19 on: February 20, 2002, 03:26:28 PM »

I like Canada. Never met any French-canucks, but the english were cool folks. Hey, ever hear a radio show on the CBC, "Dr Bondolos Pandimonium  medicin show", a comedy half hour out of the U, of B.C.? Caught it on the late nite "Skip" on the radio. Lets face it, gang, look at all the good comics that have come south....Dan Ackroid, Mike myers,Alex Trebeck(Just kidding!). And, lets admit, Shatner has made some funny, ewither he ment too or not.
J.R.
« Reply #20 on: February 20, 2002, 05:18:38 PM »

But they also gave us Alanis Morissette, Alan Thicke and 4 of the 5 Kids In The Hall.
AndyC
« Reply #21 on: February 20, 2002, 07:57:59 PM »

I completely forgot the comic potential of Homer encountering Canadian beer. Man, that could have been a good episode.

Anyway, Flange makes another good point. There are quite a few big names in music and entertainment who have made it big south of the border. One thing I noticed on my trip to Chicago was the display at the Sears Tower highlighting the city's achievements. There was a life-sized picture of comedians from the Second City, which seemed to have a substantial Canadian component.

Let's see what kind of a list I can come up with off the top of my head: John Candy, Eugene Levy, Dave Thomas, Rick Moranis, Mike Myers, Dan Aykroyd, Roddy Piper, William Shatner, Christopher Plummer, Lorne Greene, Lorne Michaels, Guy Lombardo, Paul Anka, Bryan Adams, Will Sasso, Rich Little....

I could probably think of more, with a little time. There are a few musical groups and singers I could name, but I'm not completely sure how big they were outside of Canada.

Then again, JR makes a good point about the crappy entertainers we've produced. Let me add Celine Dion and K.D. Lang to his list.
Lord_Humungous
« Reply #22 on: February 20, 2002, 10:42:21 PM »

HA!   That made me remember the scene from the South Park movie( I think it was in the movie..) - with the song 'Blame Canada'  and, of course, a Canadian official having to point out that Canada had ALREADY apologized for Bryan Adams some time ago.

Cullen - I can understand people who haven't watched the Simpsons religiously since the beginning not noticing the gradual decline.  For a Simpsons nut like me it's fun to watch a series of episodes that span the first several seasons and listen to the voice actors gradually perfecting their characters. And you can also see how the quality of the animations and the quality of the scripts improved over the years.  

And then as the years progressed you can start to feel the writers running out of ideas and the plots start to get more and more fragmented.
AndyC
« Reply #23 on: February 20, 2002, 10:58:29 PM »

True. They also seem to have fewer things happening in an episode. At the show's peak, an episode would have a lot of things going on in half an hour, but it would all fit together. The jokes would be laid on in generous layers of varying subtlety. Now, we get episodes that feel stripped of all but the most blatant layer of humour. There just aren't as many laughs packed into a half-hour as there used to be. The characters, having been made more complex over the years, are now being reduced to oversimplified caricatures of themselves. As for the stories, there is either a lack of subplots, or they don't fit together.
AndyC
« Reply #24 on: February 20, 2002, 11:01:37 PM »

It definitely feels like the writers are sitting around asking "what haven't we done yet?" When that happens, it't time to pull the plug.
Lord_Humungous
« Reply #25 on: February 20, 2002, 11:08:20 PM »

Heehee....In the words of Sideshow Bob, "Well, that was a well written piece of non-claptrap that never made me want to retch...."    Ironic?
Rombles
« Reply #26 on: February 21, 2002, 08:45:37 AM »

Ever seen "Quads"? Another plus for Canada (With a bit of help from some Aussies, of course)....
Jay O'Connor
« Reply #27 on: February 21, 2002, 11:30:06 AM »

For giving us "Rush", Canada is forgiven of any and all social disgraces
Chris K.
« Reply #28 on: February 21, 2002, 05:30:45 PM »

It's amazing to see that our great comedians come from Canada, and I like Canada alot. But the only bad thing that Canada let loose on the entire world was Tom Green. If Green was the ONLY COMEDIAN to come from Canada then I would have closed the borders! Thank God that he has now disappeared from sight and we can all now focus the good things that came from Canada.
J.R.
« Reply #29 on: February 21, 2002, 07:43:11 PM »

No, no, no! Canada gave us Neil Pert, and for that I am grateful, but that guy that plays bass and sings with the voice of a retarded cow is also in Rush, and that is unforgiveable.
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Simpsons in Canada « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: osmosis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.