Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 02:26:29 PM
714407 Posts in 53097 Topics by 7742 Members
Latest Member: KathleneKa
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  WHO FREAKED YOU OUT? « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8
Author Topic: WHO FREAKED YOU OUT?  (Read 51187 times)
DodgingGrunge
Bad Movie Lover

Consistency is the hobgoblin of small minds.

« Reply #60 on: May 03, 2007, 04:00:56 AM »

I have been pretty much immune to the gratuitousness of cinema my whole life because I became an avid John Waters fan after seeing Pink Flamingos when I was little.  Haha.  But there are two films that come to mind that actually disturbed me:

1985 - Guinea Pig - a very convincing imitation snuff film from Japan.  It feels as though it were shot with a personal camcorder.  It has no credits, etc.  Just 45 minutes of torture unleashed on one girl.  This makes Cannibal Holocaust look like a Disney film.  Haha.

1994 - Aftermath - a short film by Nacho Cerdą about a mortician who mutilates and has sex with the corpse of a prostitute.  It wasn't the necrophilia that I found disturbing as I've seen Nekromantik plenty of times (and even met Jörg Buttgereit at a midnite screening).  My discomfort came from the fact that the cinematography was positively gorgeous!  I was watching a man have sex through various incisions in a corpse and it was pretty.  Well, at least until I remembered what I was watching.  But that's the thing, the mise-en-scčne was orchestrated in such a way as to skillfully trick me over and over again.

++josh;
Allhallowsday
B-Movie Kraken

Either he's dead or my watch has stopped!

« Reply #61 on: May 03, 2007, 09:05:03 PM »

I have been pretty much immune to the gratuitousness of cinema my whole life because I became an avid John Waters fan after seeing Pink Flamingos when I was little.  Haha.
My own list is less gratuitous and more cinematic.  Waters did not wash away cinematic sore sights.  Cinema does not need to be gratuitous in order to be freaky. 

But there are two films that come to mind that actually disturbed me:
1985 - Guinea Pig - a very convincing imitation snuff film from Japan. 
1994 - Aftermath - a short film by Nacho Cerdą about a mortician who mutilates and has sex with the corpse of a prostitute. 
Ew-oo definitely sound freaky. 

If you want to view paradise . . . simply look around and view it!
DodgingGrunge
Bad Movie Lover

Consistency is the hobgoblin of small minds.

« Reply #62 on: May 03, 2007, 10:33:46 PM »

I have been pretty much immune to the gratuitousness of cinema my whole life because I became an avid John Waters fan after seeing Pink Flamingos when I was little.  Haha.
My own list is less gratuitous and more cinematic.  Waters did not wash away cinematic sore sights.  Cinema does not need to be gratuitous in order to be freaky.

Admittedly "gratuitous" was a poor choice of adjectives.  I read "freak out" two different ways:  1) As in something so utterly revolting as to cause one to take leave of his senses; 2) Something psychologically chilling that lingers long after viewing.  Since this was started in the bad movies section, I figured the intention was probably closer to the first interpretation.

But, two movies come to mind that fit the latter.  Both of which are cleverly devoid of any real sex or violence!  Who'd of thought!

1988 - Spoorloos (AKA The Vanishing)  A man's wife disappears from a large petrol station.  He bankrupts himself (both financially and emotionally) searching for her for three years.  He pleads on television to the nameless kidnapper (and/or killer) for information.  The culprit responds and promises to show him exactly what happened to her.  This was just a really, really spooky movie and the ending has stuck with me all these years.

1975 - Picnic At Hanging Rock  This film is based on a true story.  The girls of Appleyard College go on a school trip to Hanging Rock on Valentine's Day, 1900, and several of them disappear inexplicably while exploring.  I can't really delve into further details without betraying the film's mystery, but this is definitely an eerie tale.  For those of you who are fans of The Cars That Ate Paris, you might consider checking out a good Peter Weir film.  TongueOut

++josh;
Allhallowsday
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #63 on: May 04, 2007, 12:12:42 AM »

Admittedly "gratuitous" was a poor choice of adjectives.  I read "freak out" two different ways:  1) As in something so utterly revolting as to cause one to take leave of his senses; 2) Something psychologically chilling that lingers long after viewing.  Since this was started in the bad movies section, I figured the intention was probably closer to the first interpretation.
But, two movies come to mind that fit the latter.  Both of which are cleverly devoid of any real sex or violence!  Who'd of thought!

"Who'd have thought?" typically verbally abbreviated to "Who'd've thought?"   TeddyR 

I didn't intend to restrict contributors selections to be "BAD MOVIES" though that is considerate and I need to place threads more carefully. 

1988 - Spoorloos (AKA The Vanishing)  A man's wife disappears from a large petrol station.  He bankrupts himself (both financially and emotionally) searching for her for three years.  He pleads on television to the nameless kidnapper (and/or killer) for information.  The culprit responds and promises to show him exactly what happened to her.  This was just a really, really spooky movie and the ending has stuck with me all these years.

1975 - Picnic At Hanging Rock  This film is based on a true story.  The girls of Appleyard College go on a school trip to Hanging Rock on Valentine's Day, 1900, and several of them disappear inexplicably while exploring.  I can't really delve into further details without betraying the film's mystery, but this is definitely an eerie tale.  For those of you who are fans of The Cars That Ate Paris, you might consider checking out a good Peter Weir film.  TongueOut
Two great films that certainly "freaked me out" (particularly SPOORLOOS)!  Thanks !!   Smile

Susan
« Reply #64 on: May 04, 2007, 11:12:40 PM »

WHO FREAKED YOU OUT?  Who was so twisted and scary that it disturbed you as a film viewer? 

Small | Large
Allhallowsday
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #65 on: May 04, 2007, 11:54:45 PM »

WHO FREAKED YOU OUT?  Who was so twisted and scary that it disturbed you as a film viewer? 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aOIJtS4gbaY
I can't tell you how funny it is to listen to Nina Simone singing "Pirate Jenny" and watch the clip of Jean Claude Van Damme dancin' you provided.

Gabezilla84
New Visitor

« Reply #66 on: June 02, 2007, 04:37:57 PM »

As you can probably tell, I'm a huge Godzilla fan, have been one since early childhood. There were some moments in G-movies that scared me big time as a kid (around 5-6 years old):

Godzilla vs. the Smog Monster: the scenes in which Hedorah would fly over people and reduce them to skeletons just traumatized my little mind for years. It would take about ten years before I would sum up the courage to watch this film again! Now, it's one of my absolute favorite G-movies.

Godzilla vs. Mechagodzilla (1974 version): I was scared of the aliens that would turn into apes when they got killed by the heroes. This didn't scare me quite as bad as the victims of Hedorah, however, but it was still unsettling.

One thing you can never be too sure of is that you can never be too sure.

Are you sure of that?
Allhallowsday
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #67 on: June 23, 2008, 10:38:12 PM »

Freaked out?  Another thread about THE INNOCENTS got me to thinking about my own favorite cinema ghost: Quint!!  

indianasmith
Archeologist, Theologian, Elder Scrolls Addict, and a
B-Movie Kraken

A good bad movie is like popcorn for the soul!

« Reply #68 on: June 23, 2008, 10:41:44 PM »

The ghastly girl crawling out of the TV at the end of THE RING.

The first time you see the CREEPER in JEEPERS CREEPERS.

"I shall smite you in the nostrils with a rod of iron, and wax your spleen with Efferdent!!"
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

Click on that globe for 366 Weird Movies

« Reply #69 on: June 23, 2008, 11:05:46 PM »

Probably mentioned already but:

Max Schreck in NOSFERATU
Michael Rooker in HENRY: PORTRAIT OF A SERIAL KILLER

I'll take you places the hand of man has not yet set foot...
JJ80
« Reply #70 on: June 24, 2008, 04:49:45 PM »

I'm a little ashamed to say it but the latex puppets from the old T.V show "Spitting Image" used to ruddy terrify me!  They were very grotesque caricatures of politicians, celebrities etc and their very appearance used to send me running for cover. The were featured in the video for the Genesis song "Land Of Confusion", a very good reason why I didn't watch "Top Of The Pops" for years.
Terf
Bad Movie Lover

I wish I could be as popular as you think you are.

« Reply #71 on: June 24, 2008, 05:18:14 PM »

Well, as a kid I never really saw anything that wasn't considered "appropriate" for my age (meaning I saw hardly any movies). Now, I'm desensitized to the point where movies and tv don't really scare me, but they can disturb me.

Some really random stuff here:

- "A Bug's Life," where the bird is trying to eat the bugs. Lookingup I guess I found it bizaare and annoying that something so innocent (like the sparrow) would be portrayed as evil. And where that evil grasshopper is slowly being lowered into the babies' nest...but bah!

- A scene in the TV show "Arthur" where, in a fantasy sequence, a cat is being abused with a whip.  Buggedout (I like cats.)

- I guess Toy Story, where the mutant dolls appear.

- In one of the movies about a cat and 2 dogs roaming around U.S. (?), there's a scene where a child is trapped in a burning building (if I remember correctly). Kinda scary.

- Laurel and Hardy  BounceGiggle

Oh, and besides being disturbed, there are times when I'm just really surprised, but I don't think it counts as being scared.  BounceGiggle (IDK)

- I particularly remember in "Dawn of the Dead" 2004, when the girl is driving through her suburb, and another lady suddenly appears at her door and asks for help. The sudden "bang" of music was really startling.   

So, hmmmm...

Things could be worse; you could be twins.
Sister Grace
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

I found my mind in a brown paper bag...

« Reply #72 on: June 24, 2008, 05:45:32 PM »

Very rarely does a film freak me out anymore. I wasn't even flustered by all the drama in The Dreamers; i thought it was pretty tame although several of my friends made a big deal out of it. You expect wierd things from the French anyways.

However, when I was a little kid and started sneaking into the Beta collection that my parents owned and then to VHS, two movies really freaked the crap out of me. One was The Deadly Spawn (1983) also know as Return of the Aliens and the other was Mother's Day (1980). The creepy brothers were the worst.

Society, exactly as it now exists is the ultimate expression of sadomasochism in action.<br />-boyd rice-<br />On the screen, there\\\'s a death and the rustle of cloth; and a sickly voice calling me handsome...<br />-Nick Cave-
KYGOTC
Corprate slimeball of E.E.S.
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

Be EXELLENT to each other...and PARTY ON DUDES!!

« Reply #73 on: June 24, 2008, 06:04:47 PM »

When I was but a wee lad, Large Marge gave me the heebie jeebies.

"I'm a man too, you know! I go pee-pee standing up!"
Terf
Bad Movie Lover

I wish I could be as popular as you think you are.

« Reply #74 on: June 24, 2008, 10:10:20 PM »

When I was but a wee lad, Large Marge gave me the heebie jeebies.

BounceGiggle "Jeepers Creepers, where'd you get those peepers?" (I was annoyed by the ending of that movie.)

What is she from? Is she a puppet from a children's program or something?

Things could be worse; you could be twins.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  WHO FREAKED YOU OUT? « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.