Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 04:05:58 PM
714454 Posts in 53097 Topics by 7742 Members
Latest Member: KathleneKa
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  Mad Max « previous next »
Poll
Question: What's the best Mad Max Film?
Mad Max - 5 (20.8%)
Road Warrior - 18 (75%)
Mad Max:Beyond the Thunderdome - 1 (4.2%)
Total Voters: 23

Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Mad Max  (Read 14950 times)
flackbait
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

The fate of the last door to door salesmen

« on: April 21, 2007, 10:51:08 PM »

I personally like Road Warrior the best. But hey thats just me
trekgeezer

We're all just victims of circumstance

« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2007, 05:31:32 PM »

I also picked Road Warrior, a prime example of how a sequel can outshine the original occasionally. I think I like Thunderdome a little more than most people do.

And you thought Trek isn't cool.
flackbait

The fate of the last door to door salesmen

« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2007, 05:55:22 PM »

Thunderdome was still good but it lacked something from the others. What I like about Road Warrior is how it shows how a good movie can be made with a rather low budget(compared to other films of the time).
« Last Edit: April 29, 2007, 03:53:31 PM by flackbait » Logged
Derf
Crazy Rabbity Thingy
Proofreader

Lagomorphs: menace or underutilized resource?

« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2007, 08:49:32 PM »

Road Warrior is the most entertaining of the three, though Mad Max is the better movie in terms of storyline and character development. I voted for RW, but MM is right up there, too. Thunderdome has some good parts, but it gets far too preachy.

"They tap dance not, neither do they fart." --Greensleeves, on the Fig Men of the Imagination, in "Twice Upon a Time."
rebel_1812
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2007, 11:25:00 PM »

Road Warrior is the most entertaining of the three, though Mad Max is the better movie in terms of storyline and character development. I voted for RW, but MM is right up there, too. Thunderdome has some good parts, but it gets far too preachy.

I agree, Mad Max had it's own tone and feel to it.  Pathos, I believe is the best word to describe it, and perhaps a better tone for a post-Apocalypse movie.   Road Warrior was more of a traditional action flick, but a very good action flick.

Gerry
B-Movie Site Webmaster
Bad Movie Lover

It's not what you say, it's how you say it.

« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2007, 11:34:51 AM »

I absolutely love MAD MAX, especially the SE DVD version that restores the original Australian dialog as opposed to the American dub job.  It is an amazingly deep movie for the genre.  That said, I voted for THE ROAD WARRIOR, which is simply THE defining post-apocalypse movie that set the bar for everything to follow, and one hell of an entertaining movie. 

Of course there are a number of apocalyptic movies that were clearly inspirations for that one, NO BLADE OF GRASS for example, but THE ROAD WARRIOR perfected the formula.
BeyondTheGrave

Punks not Ded sez Rich

« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2007, 12:02:10 PM »

I went with the all mighty Road Warrior. Wheres odinn7 to back me up.  Smile

Mad Max was a better movie in terms of story and is enjoyable.

Most of all I hate dancing then work,exercise,people,stupidpeople

Scott

Hey, I'm in the situation room ! ! !

« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2007, 05:31:50 AM »

Like the TERMINATOR films the second one TERMINATOR 2 is the better film, but you must love the orignal concept of both films.

ROAD WARRIOR better overall, but MAD MAX is a special film in it's own way. Almost a different kind of film than the second.

ghouck

Afro-Mullets RULE!

« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2007, 01:55:12 AM »

Road Warrior all the way. Mad Max was good, , ,but Road Warior had IMO the better story, beter action, and more memorable scenes and characters.

Raw bacon is GREAT! It's like regular bacon, only faster, and it doesn't burn the roof of your mouth!

Happiness is green text in the "Stuff To Watch For" section.

James James: The man so nice, they named him twice.

"Aw man, this thong is chafing my balls" -Lloyd Kaufman in Poultrygeist.

"There's always time for lubricant" -Orlando Jones in Evolution
Neville

« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2007, 05:19:27 PM »

"Mad Max" is a great movie, but it suffers of a low budget. There's just too many scenes revolving around Max and his family and the nomad bikers and too few focusing in his job and the revenge plot. Still, it is arguably the best of the three in terms of story / concepts. I like the idea of a progressive rather than sudden apocalypse (something that the second film appears to contradict), and the perspective of Max, who is neither a very important person nor one that pays special attention to the problem.

Still, my vote id for #2, because the pace and the progression of the plot are far more in sync with what is to be expected in a post-apocalyptic action film. Plus the action is fantastic.

Number three has its moments. I specially like Tina Turner's performance and the ending, which is sort of unexpected, specially in tone. However, I was very disappointed with the way they toned down the action and the violence.

Due to the horrifying nature of this film, no one will be admitted to the theatre.
Yaddo 42

Where's that brick.......

« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2007, 06:14:54 PM »

Voted for RR, since it's the best film overall, a classic of the genre, of car chases, and you can watch and enjoy it without seeing the others.

Thunderdome has some good moments, like the chase and some of the dialogue. The Thunderdome fight makes a great little short film on it's own. But the film is has it's flaws and the story is uneven.

MM is very good, and the most believable of the three. Seeing it adds to the enjoyment of RR, because we know what made Max into the man he is in that film.

If I had to put one in a time capsule or show only one to a group, it'd be RR, so it gets my vote.

blah blah stuff blah blah obscure pop culture reference blah blah clever turn of phrase blah blah bad pun blah blah bad link blah blah zzzz.....
StackAttack
Dedicated Viewer

I came here to kick ass and chew bubblegum...

« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2007, 09:50:03 AM »

Road Warrior was the better for me because of the big car chase final. Mad Max was good in that cheap movie charm but it was annoying watching it with the english actors voices dubbed in for so long. Thunderdome should have stopped in the actual thunderdome because that was the best part of the movie along with the wheel of death and master blaster.
akiratubo

« Reply #12 on: May 13, 2007, 09:56:47 PM »

Mad Max was such precision movie making it's hardly believable anyone was able to accomplish it.  It hits the bullseye on all of its plot points:  The law is now just kind of a nice idea.  Max kills the leader of a motorcyle gang.  The gang is extremely deranged and wants revenge.  There exists one last supercar capable of running down the gang's bikes, and Max has access to it.  Finally frustrated to the breaking point by legal rigamarole, Max's chief gives him permission to just kill instead of arrest criminals (not in so many words, but ...).  The gang attacks Max's friends and family, destroying his life.  Max, with the established license to kill and his supercar, takes his revenge.

That being said, The Road Warrior is a superior film in that it is more accomplished technically, is every bit as raw and precise, and expands on the groundwork laid by the original in an organic and quite believeable way.  Also, The Road Warrior scored a knockout blow in the scene in which Max tries to outrun the Humungus's truck.  In Mad Max, we knew that Max's family was going to die.  However, we had been conditioned by Mad Max, previous parts of the Road Warrior, and other action movies to think that the hero is invincible when he uses his superpower (in this case, the Interceptor's blower).  Max being run down so easily was as hard hitting as anything I've ever seen in a movie: the mythic hero being swatted down like a fly.  With that one moment, all bets were off.  There was no guarantee that Max and the refinery people were going to survive; the Wez and the Humungus might win, after all.

Mad Max is an excellent example of how to make a good movie.  The Road Warrior is an excellent example of how to make a great movie.

Kneel before Dr. Hell, the ruler of this world!
trekgeezer

We're all just victims of circumstance

« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2007, 12:15:55 PM »

I guess Road Warrior could be declared the money maker of the three, it seemed to generate the most cheapo knock offs.

And you thought Trek isn't cool.
Torgo

« Reply #14 on: May 14, 2007, 10:26:29 PM »

I've always liked The Road Warrior the best.

It's like an improved version of the 1st film with a better budget and better car chase sequences.

I try to act like Beyond Thunderdome didn't exist at all BTW.   Lookingup

"There is no way out of here. It'll be dark soon. There is no way out of here."
Pages: [1] 2
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  Mad Max « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.