Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 05:03:42 PM
714490 Posts in 53097 Topics by 7744 Members
Latest Member: MichelFran
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  worst kind of remakes........ « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: worst kind of remakes........  (Read 10771 times)
respectmeordye3
Bad Movie Lover

« on: April 29, 2007, 01:21:11 PM »

I hope I am not offending anyone with this topic but if it does offend anyone then go ahead and delete it......

What are the worst kind of remakes?

Sad to say black remakes.

And even sadder--the black folks making these terrible remakes don't seem to understand that even black audiences hate most of these remakes.

Now I don't mean to sound racist--that is not my intent--nor is it my intent to offend anyone, but I am just so sick of these black remakes of originally white movies/tv shows.

You already have...

The Johnson Family Vacation--which is a black remake-almost character for character of the National Lampoon Vacation movies.

We got The Honeymooners-a black remake of a sitcom that originally starred white people.

The Wild Wild West was remade recasting a white character as a black one,

And how can we forget The Nutty Professor--a remake of the Jerry Lewis classic.

And Back To School with Cedric the Entertainer is in the works-a remake of the Rodney Dangerfield flick--as well as All Of Me a remake of the Steve Martin movie--but starring the horrible Queen Latifa in his role.

And then there are the movies based on real life people.....

Walking Tall: not only a remake using a black guy in the white guy's role--but based on a real incident as well.

The same goes for Gridiron Gang and Yours, Mine , and Ours.

They really happened-those people were real people--and yet they decided to change these white people black.

Now if a Roots or a movie about MLK or a movie based on the Cosby Show was done using white people in the roles you would hear all kinds of ruckus.

But of course the biggest problem with these black remakes isn't  really that they are black--it's that these remakes are ONLY targeted at the black audiences--whereas the originals were targeted at anyone regardless of race.

Now these people--with the exception of Latifa--who did these movies are all fine actors.

And I go back and forth on most remakes.

But the black remakes Hollywood keeps pumping out seem to be just for the sole reason of making money off the black community--IMHO they are telling the black comunity that they aren't good enough or worthy enough to have an original movie done with them.

Menard
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2007, 01:50:28 PM »

Does it really matter?

Scripts are often written with characters in mind. Yes, the writer may have intended for the original character to have been black or white, but this is often due to whether the writer was black or white.

The Wild, Wild West and National Lampoon's Family Vacation are works of fiction where Roots is an historical dramatization of a family's heritage spanning many generations. You can't compare taking a vacation movie with a black family to putting a white family in Roots; it's not the same thing.

Just because Cedric the Entertainer or Queen Latifa are in a movie does not make it a movie specifically for any audience. Yes, there are movies obviously oriented to audiences but, with the over-abundant glut of movies oriented to a white audience which seems to have gone unmentioned in this thread, what's the big deal.

The color of one's skin is simply superficial; except to those who think it means something and harp about something as silly as a black man playing a role previously played by a white man.

If you are looking to make a point and keep credibility in making that point, don't preface your arguement with 'I am not a racist'. This comes off the same as someone saying 'nothing personal', 'trust me', and 'this is for your own good'. Of course things are going to be personal, people lie, and nobody is going to do things for your own good.

If you don't want to consider yourself a racist, great for you, but your comment suggest that you are at least predjudiced to a degree.

uhhh....nothing personal TongueOut
Oldskool138
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2007, 02:05:52 PM »

The worst remake of all time: Psycho (1998).  Vince Vaughn as Norman Bates?!  Horrible.

He learned almost too late that man is a feeling creature... and because of it, the greatest in the universe........
-Dr. Paul Nelson (Peter Graves)

That gum you like is going to come back in style.
-The Man from Another Place
respectmeordye3
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2007, 04:49:40 PM »

Does it really matter?

Scripts are often written with characters in mind. Yes, the writer may have intended for the original character to have been black or white, but this is often due to whether the writer was black or white.

The Wild, Wild West and National Lampoon's Family Vacation are works of fiction where Roots is an historical dramatization of a family's heritage spanning many generations. You can't compare taking a vacation movie with a black family to putting a white family in Roots; it's not the same thing.

Just because Cedric the Entertainer or Queen Latifa are in a movie does not make it a movie specifically for any audience. Yes, there are movies obviously oriented to audiences but, with the over-abundant glut of movies oriented to a white audience which seems to have gone unmentioned in this thread, what's the big deal.

The color of one's skin is simply superficial; except to those who think it means something and harp about something as silly as a black man playing a role previously played by a white man.

If you are looking to make a point and keep credibility in making that point, don't preface your arguement with 'I am not a racist'. This comes off the same as someone saying 'nothing personal', 'trust me', and 'this is for your own good'. Of course things are going to be personal, people lie, and nobody is going to do things for your own good.

If you don't want to consider yourself a racist, great for you, but your comment suggest that you are at least predjudiced to a degree.

uhhh....nothing personal TongueOut

And what about the movies about real white people played by black people? I'm not "predjudiced to a degree" as you like to claim---it's just that if there was EVER a movie done that centered on a real black person--say MLK or Rev. Jesse Jackson with a white person in the role there would be all sorts of griping about "racism" from black communities--not all mind you but a good majority. Yet these same folks have no problem with a several movies about white people-real life white people mind you---but played by blacks.

Why is it that "race isn't important" only when it's in favor of the black community?

Martin Luther King played by a white guy would certainly get a scream of racism--but the fact that they have had black actors play real white people gets no reacts among the public---why is that?
Menard
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2007, 05:11:46 PM »

And what about the movies about real white people played by black people? I'm not "predjudiced to a degree" as you like to claim---it's just that if there was EVER a movie done that centered on a real black person--say MLK or Rev. Jesse Jackson with a white person in the role there would be all sorts of griping about "racism" from black communities--not all mind you but a good majority. Yet these same folks have no problem with a several movies about white people-real life white people mind you---but played by blacks.

Why is it that "race isn't important" only when it's in favor of the black community?

Martin Luther King played by a white guy would certainly get a scream of racism--but the fact that they have had black actors play real white people gets no reacts among the public---why is that?

You're not a little bit predjudiced, but you keep harping on this issue?

And how about all of the real white people played by black actors?

The only one which comes to mind is Radio in which the real life radio is white but was portrayed by Cuba Gooding Jr.; might I add at much praise from the real Radio's white family.

All of these roles of real white folk played by blacks? How about checking your movie history over the decades. Next time you watch Moses, count how many black Egyptians you see.

Our past is rife with social disintegration based solely on one's skin color. Aside from blatant civil rights violations and murder of people of color, we have decades of Blacks, Asians, Mid-Easterners, and others being played by white actors.

What? A role or two may have had a black man portraying a white man? Oh, the horrors; the number of times the case has been the opposite outnumbers it thousands to one.

You are not predjudiced to a certain degree? Yet, you keep digging for the minimalist evidence to substantiate your position? I am not mistaken.
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

"Charlie,we're in HELL!"-"yeah,ain't it groovy?!"

« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2007, 05:24:46 PM »

Hmm. If you recall,not to long ago,all blacks in film WERE played by whites..in "blackface",and in a very derogatory manner...and even the blacks that DID appear in films,had minor "Stepin'fetchit" type roles. Now...If a movie that originally starred whites,and is remade geared to a black audiance...so what? Is it hurting you in some way? If the target audiance(ie.blacks) enjoy it...so what?! Cool. If you don't like black remakes...don't watch them. Simple as that. It seems you are offended by blacks moving in on your territory. Movies starring whites are still in the majority...I heard a redneck type say once...in regard to BET.."Whut if there was a WET...?" And I said ...ther is. Says he...whut...?"

Most every other TV station,dumbass!

If your offended by blacks remakes of movies...well,sir...you are a RACIST. No if, ands or buts. Either sh!t, or get off the pot.

"Supernatural?...perhaps. Baloney?...Perhaps not!" Bela Lugosi-the BLACK CAT (1934)
Interviewer-"Does Dracula ever end for you?
Lugosi-"No. Dracula-never ends."

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
https://www.tumblr.com/ronmerchant
Menard
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2007, 05:33:23 PM »

Hmm. If you recall,not to long ago,all blacks in film WERE played by whites..in "blackface",and in a very derogatory manner...and even the blacks that DID appear in films,had minor "Stepin'fetchit" type roles. Now...If a movie that originally starred whites,and is remade geared to a black audiance...so what? Is it hurting you in some way? If the target audiance(ie.blacks) enjoy it...so what?! Cool. If you don't like black remakes...don't watch them. Simple as that. It seems you are offended by blacks moving in on your territory. Movies starring whites are still in the majority...I heard a redneck type say once...in regard to BET.."Whut if there was a WET...?" And I said ...ther is. Says he...whut...?"

Most every other TV station,dumbass!

If your offended by blacks remakes of movies...well,sir...you are a RACIST. No if, ands or buts. Either sh!t, or get off the pot.

Not only well put, but amazingly readable for you. TeddyR

You earned karma for that. (not like you're going to be running out of it any time too soon TongueOut)
« Last Edit: April 29, 2007, 08:12:16 PM by Menard » Logged
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

"Charlie,we're in HELL!"-"yeah,ain't it groovy?!"

« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2007, 05:39:22 PM »

Coming from the fearsome Menard...I kinda feel honored...and a little dirty...like caught having sex with sheep...( Ikid! I kid!...gulp...) Buggedout Thumbup

Oh by the way respectmeordye....bad choice of screen name for someone who shows little respect for any body outside their little narrow minded view of the world beyond their own...to gain respect..you need to give respect.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2007, 05:50:10 PM by RCMerchant » Logged

"Supernatural?...perhaps. Baloney?...Perhaps not!" Bela Lugosi-the BLACK CAT (1934)
Interviewer-"Does Dracula ever end for you?
Lugosi-"No. Dracula-never ends."

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
https://www.tumblr.com/ronmerchant
flackbait
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

The fate of the last door to door salesmen

« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2007, 05:43:37 PM »

Personally, I really don't care who stars in the remake as long as they are good.
Now for certain movies though, I suppose race could matter. I mean imagine a remake of SHAFT with a white guy in the lead. I don't understand how that could be done.
Trevor
Uncle Zombie and Eminent Shitologist
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2007, 01:30:14 AM »

I agree with flackbait ~ as long as the film is good, I'm not much bothered who plays who, what race, what gender, doesn't matter, the film is the thing. I actually enjoyed Walking Tall where the roles were reversed: The Rock playing the role originally played by Joe Don Baker and Mr Johnny Knoxville playing the role originally played by Felton Perry, if I remember correctly. Names were changed as well, but that was also OK.

RCM ~ karma point for your comment on what to do.  TeddyR

I know I can make it on my own if I try, but I'm searching for the Great Heart
To stand me by, underneath the African sky
A Great Heart to stand me by.
Andrew
Administrator

I know where my towel is.

« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2007, 07:41:50 AM »

My opinion is that the final result is the most important aspect.  I am often interested when a movie is taken and then remade with an obvious target of "changing it for a different culture."  The best example of this that I can think of is "The Wiz."  On the other hand, and it has been years since I watched the film, I remember thinking that "The Wiz" was a pretty wacky ride.  It was a neat remake.

Funny thing, another that comes to mind is "The Last Dragon" and that was also by Motown Productions.  Taimak's hero character in that one is definitely my favorite part of the film.  I am going to pull a paragraph directly from my review:

I must take a moment to comment on Taimak's portrayal of the main character, because it really makes the movie. Bruce Leroy talks in a soft voice that is almost a whisper. When very angry or confused it gains a subtle edge, but not enough to disturb the illusion of an inner calm. No, our hero has a heart of gold and a face that always seems to be on the edge of breaking into an unabashed smile. Even when kicking butt, he looks nothing more than intent. Not angry, not dangerous, not hateful, but serious.

Remakes are generally a warning sign for movies, no matter what was done with the cast.  Sometimes we get lucky and the remake is a good one.

Andrew Borntreger
Badmovies.org
dean

« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2007, 08:14:40 AM »

What was wrong with the Nutty Professor? I actually didn't mind that one...

But Black Remakes of "White" films??  Come on...

I mean, sometimes changing race is a great preface for a different style of film.  On that note, changing genders can work wonders as well!

Of course, there's also the terrible ones.  Let's face facts here: 90% of remakes are pretty sub par, whether it be changing race, gender or species...

------------The password will be: Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch
respectmeordye3
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2007, 12:57:50 PM »

What was wrong with the Nutty Professor? I actually didn't mind that one...

But Black Remakes of "White" films??  Come on...

I mean, sometimes changing race is a great preface for a different style of film.  On that note, changing genders can work wonders as well!

Of course, there's also the terrible ones.  Let's face facts here: 90% of remakes are pretty sub par, whether it be changing race, gender or species...

My main problem with black remakes is that they direct them ONLY at the blacks. And there are several other movies based on real white people wherein they changed it to a black person(had no idea Radio was a true story-any good?) but there is Walking Tall,Yours Mine And Ours, GridIron Gang, etc. My main problem is that if whites did a movie on Martin Luther King you would hear the black community practically asking for a hanging over "racism" for having a white guy play a black person. but the fact that several movies have had black people play real life white guys is okay.

And the so called racist "blackface" movies? It was basically proven that it wasn't racist when the Wayans Bros. did the same thing--a white face movie---and yet they were applauded and the movie was called a hilarious piece of humor. If a white guy had done a blackface recently you would have that idiot Jesse Jackson on his soapbox.

All I am trying to say is that there is a majority of the black community who seems to think that being black should allow you to be racist towards whites. iF ANYONE FINDS THIS TOPIC OFFENSIVE GO AHEAD AND DELETE THE FREAKIN' TOPIC! I already said I'd understand if it ruffled feathers to the point of getting deleted! sheesh.

And the name respectmeordye3 isn't connected to hate of anyone or anything--it's part of a joke on a long since gone message board I used to go to. that's all. nothing more nothing less. I chose it because it's easy to remember.
thetoxicone
Dedicated Viewer

« Reply #13 on: April 30, 2007, 01:18:47 PM »

My main problem with black remakes is that they direct them ONLY at the blacks. And there are several other movies based on real white people wherein they changed it to a black person(had no idea Radio was a true story-any good?) but there is Walking Tall,Yours Mine And Ours, GridIron Gang, etc. My main problem is that if whites did a movie on Martin Luther King you would hear the black community practically asking for a hanging over "racism" for having a white guy play a black person. but the fact that several movies have had black people play real life white guys is okay.

The difference in comparing MLK with those other instances is that MLK's story is highly race based, where as walking tall's main story is not race based (you could verbally tell the story and no one would know if the characters were black or white).  Of course you'll never see MLK played as a white the same way you'll never see Abraham Lincoln played as a black.
DistantJ
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #14 on: April 30, 2007, 03:49:44 PM »

Wow this topic is just totally beyond my understanding. I can't say I ever considered the term "black remake" or even saw a difference between that and a "white remake"...
Pages: [1] 2
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  worst kind of remakes........ « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.