Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 04, 2024, 02:17:11 PM
715914 Posts in 53160 Topics by 7771 Members
Latest Member: VernMolone
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Entertainment  |  What have you been listening to? « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 178 179 [180] 181 182 ... 966
Author Topic: What have you been listening to?  (Read 2710269 times)
Psycho Circus
B-Movie Kraken

Shake The Faith

« Reply #2685 on: August 15, 2008, 01:42:05 PM »

JEFF HEALY BAND - See The Light

Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

Click on that globe for 366 Weird Movies

« Reply #2686 on: August 15, 2008, 02:35:52 PM »

More Oar: A Tribute to the Skip Spence Album
A collection of covers of Alexander "Skip" Spence's classic schizophrenic folk album, Oar.  With Robert Plant, Alejandro Escovedo, Robyn Hitchcock, Tom Waits, Beck, and several obscure bands. 

Rev, that SKIP SPENCE tribute looks interesting...?  I don't think I've heard SPENCE's Oar so I added it to my Amazon cart... I often come across gaps in my education.  TeddyR  Thumbup

I would definitely get the original Oar album before the tribute.  Here's some critical commentary collected from Wikipedia:

"It was recorded after he had spent six months in Bellevue Hospital. The majority of the tracks were recorded using a three-track recorder. As described by Ross Bennett, "Combining the ramblings of a man on the brink of mental collapse with some real moments of flippancy and laughter, Oar is a genuinely strange record. Unsurprisingly, the journey from "Little Hands"’ Grape-esque guitar grooves to "Grey/Afro"’s terrifying nine minutes of mantric drone, isn’t an easy one. Even when Spence builds his songs around a familiar sound (primarily minimalist country-folk) unsettling oddities and ominous modulations creep in. ...at least he left Oar – more than most of us sane, functional people will ever manage. Just take a look at the tousled-haired, half-smiling figure gazing out from the record sleeve[1] and tell me you don’t want to peer inside."[2] The album is viewed by Lindsay Planer as follows: "A common motif to this album is the presence of saints and demons. Even the straightforward narratives such as the love ballad "Broken Heart" or "Cripple Creek" — which feature vocal treatments reminiscent of folkie Fred Neil — are bathed in unusual chord sequences and lyrical double-entendre. The majority of the sounds on this long-player remain teetering near the precipice of sanity."

It's definitely an interesting record. 

I'll take you places the hand of man has not yet set foot...
Pilgermann
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #2687 on: August 15, 2008, 02:49:53 PM »

I really love The Shape of Jazz to Come, haven't listed to Davis' Filles De Kilamanjaro yet, and the double-dose of Klaatu is awesome.

Those first two are sweet... but I haven't heard of Klaatu before.  What are they like?

Sorry for the delayed response!  Apparently when Klaatu released their first album in '76 a rumor started that they were actually a new incarnation of the Beatles.  There were no band photos or credits, and the same rumor lasted through their second album.  There's a strong Beatles influence but for anyone who listened to the entire albums it should've been obvious that it wasn't them.

The CD I got has their first two albums the self-titled first one a.k.a. 3:47 EST and the follow-up Hope.  Aside from the Beatles influence it's a general mix of pop rock and progressive rock.  3:47 EST is kind of spotty but has some great stuff.  Hope is much better in my opinion, and is more of a sci-fi-ish concept album.  Here're some audio clips:

3:47 EST:
Calling Occupants (Of Interplanery Craft)
Sub-Rosa Subway
True Life Hero
Little Neutrino

Hope:
We're Off You Know
Madman
Loneliest of Creatures
So Said the Lighthouse Keeper

Psycho Circus
B-Movie Kraken

Shake The Faith

« Reply #2688 on: August 15, 2008, 03:36:04 PM »

PANTERA - Cowboys From Hell [1990]

Torgo

« Reply #2689 on: August 15, 2008, 03:46:41 PM »

SLAYER "Divine Intervention"
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Small | Large

SLAYER "Sex.Murder.Art."   (live)

"There is no way out of here. It'll be dark soon. There is no way out of here."
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #2690 on: August 15, 2008, 03:55:40 PM »

I really love The Shape of Jazz to Come, haven't listed to Davis' Filles De Kilamanjaro yet, and the double-dose of Klaatu is awesome.

Those first two are sweet... but I haven't heard of Klaatu before.  What are they like?

Sorry for the delayed response!  Apparently when Klaatu released their first album in '76 a rumor started that they were actually a new incarnation of the Beatles.  There were no band photos or credits, and the same rumor lasted through their second album.  There's a strong Beatles influence but for anyone who listened to the entire albums it should've been obvious that it wasn't them.

Thanks for the answer.  I has heard of the "2nd Beatles" band but I didn't recognize the name.  The clips are cool, but I don't get how people could actually think they were the Beatles.

If you enjoyed the Filles de Kilimanjaro album, you'd probably like the one I'm listening to now:

Miles Davis - Nefertiti

It's the same lineup as Filles (the "second classic quintet" with  Wayne Shorter, Herbie Hancock, Ron Carter, and Tony Williams).  It's more accessible but still a bit "out there".

Sample: Fall

Allhallowsday
B-Movie Kraken

Either he's dead or my watch has stopped!

« Reply #2691 on: August 15, 2008, 04:02:04 PM »

The CD I got has their first two albums the self-titled first one a.k.a. 3:47 EST and the follow-up Hope.  Aside from the Beatles influence it's a general mix of pop rock and progressive rock.  3:47 EST is kind of spotty but has some great stuff.  Hope is much better in my opinion, and is more of a sci-fi-ish concept album.  Here're some audio clips:
KLAATU may or may not have perpetuated the myth by not identifying themselves, the critics in the then much more recent wake of the BEATLES breakup took not kindly to KLAATU (my 1979 falling-apart trade paper Rolling Stone Record Guide is brief but merciless).  Their first album went to #32 in 1977 for 3 weeks on the Billboard Top 40 Albums chart.  They had no charting singles.  Once people started listening to them, they figured out that they were not the BEATLES reunited.  Pilgermann, you too have inspired me and I'm going for KLAATU two-fer too! 
« Last Edit: August 15, 2008, 04:06:50 PM by Allhallowsday » Logged

If you want to view paradise . . . simply look around and view it!
Psycho Circus
B-Movie Kraken

Shake The Faith

« Reply #2692 on: August 15, 2008, 04:06:17 PM »

WARRANT - Under The Influence

Torgo

« Reply #2693 on: August 15, 2008, 04:32:09 PM »

Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #2694 on: August 15, 2008, 05:37:50 PM »

Milt Buckner - Green Onions

Sample: Green Onions

Allhallowsday
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #2695 on: August 15, 2008, 06:42:03 PM »

THE STOOGES Raw Power 

Torgo

« Reply #2696 on: August 15, 2008, 06:46:27 PM »

Al Di Meola "The Grande Passion"

Torgo

« Reply #2697 on: August 15, 2008, 07:52:31 PM »

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Small | Large

HappyGilmore
B-Movie Kraken

I know Quack-Fu.

« Reply #2698 on: August 15, 2008, 08:19:26 PM »

The Singles 1992-3003 by No Doubt

"The path to Heaven runs through miles of clouded Hell."

Don’t get too close, it’s dark inside.
It’s where my demons hide, it’s where my demons hide.
Allhallowsday
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #2699 on: August 15, 2008, 09:05:04 PM »

CAPTAIN BEEFHEART and HIS MAGIC BAND Trout Mask Replica 

Pages: 1 ... 178 179 [180] 181 182 ... 966
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Entertainment  |  What have you been listening to? « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.