Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 02:54:36 AM
714431 Posts in 53097 Topics by 7742 Members
Latest Member: KathleneKa
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  TROMA'S IN TROUBLE! « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: TROMA'S IN TROUBLE!  (Read 3445 times)
KYGOTC
Corprate slimeball of E.E.S.
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

Be EXELLENT to each other...and PARTY ON DUDES!!

« on: June 20, 2007, 11:05:34 AM »

While the filming of TALES FROM THE CRAPPER, on of the producers backed out and sued Troma for a bunch of money for a bunch of reasons. Something about violating her contract, I dunno. But now aparently Tromas not doin too well. Infact, I read that Loyd Kaufman paid for the entire production of POULTRYGIEST out of his own pocket. Not cool. I hope someone steps in and helps or they start doing REALLY well in dvd sales or something. There the last remaining refuge for the b-movie fan.....exept for Hackfilms, but they kinda suck.

"I'm a man too, you know! I go pee-pee standing up!"
Jordan
B-Movie Site Webmaster
Bad Movie Lover

Thunderball Fists?! I can have such a thing?!

« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2007, 12:16:50 PM »

You know, I'm not too surprised to hear that Troma is on the edge of toppling over. Over the years, I've heard a lot of negative things about the way they do business from various indie film makers. Perhaps this is all a backlash poor business decisions?

Also, Lloyd, I love you to death, and I love most (But not all) of Troma's films, but don't you think its time to start attempting to make GOOD b-movies? (Yeah I know, what I say is heresy, but you can only go so far in life by making s**tty movies on purpose.)

-----
The Vault Master
Caretaker of The B-Movie Film Vault
-----
daveblackeye15

« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2007, 12:57:51 PM »

Oh crap is all I can think.

Now it's time to sing the nation anthem IN AMERICA!!!

Bandit Keith from Yu-Gi-Oh the Abridged Series (episode 12)
DodgingGrunge
Bad Movie Lover

Consistency is the hobgoblin of small minds.

« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2007, 07:05:37 PM »

Troma was sued at the end of 2005 over the distribution rights to Haunting Fear, but I never caught a verdict or settlement, so maybe this is what KYGOTC mentioned.  Troma V S'more.

But this isn't the first time Troma's been sued.  Lloyd Kaufman's brother, Charles, shot a movie in 1985 called When Nature Calls.  MGM sued them for featuring the cover of Gone with the Wind in a scene.  Troma removed it and the suit was dropped, but in their typical we-didn't-want-you-anyway! fashion, the poster and box cover for WNC became a spoof of GWTW.

Over the years, I've heard a lot of negative things about the way they do business from various indie film makers. Perhaps this is all a backlash poor business decisions?

I've heard this many, many times as well.  Troma is as cutthroat as Roger Corman, just slightly less prolific.  But their treatment of the independent community at large is quite different, perhaps even helpful.  Tromadance is a free alternative to Sundance, both of which are housed in Salt Lake City at the same time of year.  Lloyd's books offer a lot of insight for wannabe filmmakers too.  They give readily of their time and wisdom... unless you are a grip working on one of their films.  Haha.

I think their in-house features have missed the mark a bit as of late (Terror Firmer was quite entertaining though), but I would be sad to see them go.  Of course, Lloyd has to retire sometime, and I doubt anybody else could fill his soiled sneakers.

++josh;
KYGOTC

« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2007, 10:46:32 PM »

You know, I'm not too surprised to hear that Troma is on the edge of toppling over. Over the years, I've heard a lot of negative things about the way they do business from various indie film makers. Perhaps this is all a backlash poor business decisions?

What have you heard about how the treat people? What do they do wrong?

Jordan
B-Movie Site Webmaster
Bad Movie Lover

Thunderball Fists?! I can have such a thing?!

« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2007, 11:49:20 PM »

Yeah it would be a total shame if Troma went bellyup, with or without Lloyd at the helm. For all the toes they've stepped on, they have done a lot of good in the indie film world. I totally agree with you on that DodgingGrunge.

Well KYGOTC, I heard from various indie film makers that Troma basically OWNS you once you sign a contract with them.... if you're new to the biz and have a film that they want to acquire. I'm not going to give any names, but three of the more "high profile" indie directors I've spoken with had nothing good to say about Troma. Two of them didn't sign up to have Troma distribute their films (to them, the contracts suited Troma's interests, and not their own) and instead distributed their movies by themselves using DVD-Rs, while the third signed with Troma and ultimately lost out on a good chunk o' change. The latter had a good working relationship with Lloyd and the gang (and I think he still does), but he said that he was basically screwed out of a lot of money. I'm not saying that he didn't get ANY money, but his percentage of the DVD profits were pretty small. Sad to hear, especially when he was notified that his film turned out to be a big seller.

-----
The Vault Master
Caretaker of The B-Movie Film Vault
-----
Mr. DS
Master Of Cinematic Bowel Movements
B-Movie Kraken

Get this thread cleaned up or YOU'RE FIRED!!!

« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2007, 08:43:50 AM »

Also, Lloyd, I love you to death, and I love most (But not all) of Troma's films, but don't you think its time to start attempting to make GOOD b-movies? (Yeah I know, what I say is heresy, but you can only go so far in life by making s**tty movies on purpose.)

Totally with you Jordy.  Tromas films were always a bit goofy but at least at some point they tried.  Now it seems most of their movies are one hour long fart jokes.  It gets old quick. 

DarkSider's Realm
http://darksidersrealm.blogspot.com/

"You think the honey badger cares?  It doesn't give a sh*t."  Randall
KYGOTC

« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2007, 03:37:29 PM »

Now it seems most of their movies are one hour long fart jokes.  It gets old quick. 

Yea, thats mostly what TALES FROM THE CRAPPER consisted of. It seems that that kind of humor is usualy found in the Kaufman troma fliks more often than the others. Thats why I dig "Cannibal! The Musical". But dont get me wrong, a p**s and fart joke is a good thing here and there.

Torgo

« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2007, 05:49:11 PM »

The rule of thumb that I've always heard that anyone should know is that if you work on a Troma flick, you aren't going to get paid anything.

to be honest, Troma has just been riding on the coattails of the surprise success of the origina Toxic Avenger.   

"There is no way out of here. It'll be dark soon. There is no way out of here."
lester1/2jr
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2007, 09:35:55 AM »

The reason why something weird is so much better than TROMA is they don't make their own movies.  I was happy TROMA reissued "The Stablilzer" but I'm just not interested in fake bad movies.
indianasmith
Archeologist, Theologian, Elder Scrolls Addict, and a
B-Movie Kraken

A good bad movie is like popcorn for the soul!

« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2007, 11:59:31 AM »

the only movie channel I get on my satellite package is IFC, and I hate it.  I've often wondered, with some of the truly awful films they show, how come they never show any TROMA films.  Maybe it's because Lloyd has apparently burned a lotta bridges in the indie community.

"I shall smite you in the nostrils with a rod of iron, and wax your spleen with Efferdent!!"
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  TROMA'S IN TROUBLE! « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.