Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 01:23:24 AM
714392 Posts in 53096 Topics by 7742 Members
Latest Member: KathleneKa
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  Karma Mod for Forum? « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Karma Mod for Forum?  (Read 9541 times)
Andrew
Administrator
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

I know where my towel is.

« on: May 08, 2007, 10:44:01 AM »

Hey all, Ash and Poogie mentioned in another thread ( http://www.badmovies.org/forum/index.php/topic,113982 ) that they would appreciate an added function for karma that would provide for the person giving the applaud or boo,hiss to leave a "Why" statement.  In other words, letting the poster know why the other poster wanted to applaud or boo,hiss them.

It does appear that there is a mod available to install this type of functionality:

http://custom.simplemachines.org/mods/index.php?mod=192

My only concern is any increase in the chance of people getting into arguments when they can see who left them a negative karma.  In any case, I just wanted to see if anyone else had any thoughts.

Andrew Borntreger
Badmovies.org
Scott

Hey, I'm in the situation room ! ! !

« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2007, 10:51:45 AM »

Andrew, give it a try and see what happens. Most come here to talk about movies, but since we get to know each other a bit the karma function is just a bonus feature. Why not add comment also? We comment on movies and we could comment on each other. We as viewers are extensions of the movies themselves.  Smile

Mr_Vindictive

By Sword. By Pick. By Axe. Bye Bye.

« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2007, 11:06:15 AM »

I also like the idea, but is the comment required when leaving a karma point or is it optional?

A bald man named Savalas visited me last night in a dream.  I think it was a Telly vision.
Andrew
Administrator

« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2007, 11:09:12 AM »

I also like the idea, but is the comment required when leaving a karma point or is it optional?

I am uncertain, until I have the chance to install and play with the mod.  A new version of it is supposed to be posted by the creator in the next few days, so I would wait until then if it is a go ahead.

Andrew Borntreger
Badmovies.org
Menard
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2007, 02:27:53 PM »

My only concern is any increase in the chance of people getting into arguments when they can see who left them a negative karma.

Unfortunately, that same system also keeps people from giving negative karma.

I personally prefer to tell someone why I am giving them negative karma. Of course, they rarely get the point and just reciprocate with negative karma right back at me.

People, like with negative feedback on eBay, are afraid of getting a negative back, and therefore don't leave negatives if the recipient knows from whom it came.

The anonynimity of the karma system lets people vote their feelings, plus or negative.

I believe that allowing people to know who gave them what karma will make it less effective (like it's very effective anyway Lookingup).

I will still give negative karma (rarely) and happily tell them exactly why I did it, when it is needed.
Dennis
Yes, it's true, absolutely true. I am a

I'm sorry, did I break your concentration?

« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2007, 08:43:03 PM »

I think it's worth a try if the comment is optional, I would like to let people know why I gave them a plus, like I've said I usually give them to people that post something I enjoy, that includes things that I don't necessarily agree with but that are thought provoking all the same. As far as negative karma, as long as it's given for a legitimate reason, knowing why you got might be good, we're all adults here, we should be able to handle a little criticism.
If this whole thing were to get out of control then it could be removed. 

Reach for the heavens in hope for the future for all that we can be, not what we are. Henry John Deutschendorf Jr.
DodgingGrunge
Bad Movie Lover

Consistency is the hobgoblin of small minds.

« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2007, 09:43:19 PM »

As far as negative karma, as long as it's given for a legitimate reason, knowing why you got might be good, we're all adults here, we should be able to handle a little criticism.

I second this view.  Unlike eBay, there is no financial livelihood at stake here.

So far I've only given positive feedback, but more times than not I've done this anonymously simply because the reasoning didn't seem worthy of an actual thread reply (i.e. "Thumbs up for you, 'cause, er, um...").  Along those same lines, if I was to give negative feedback, sometimes it may be more appropriate to leave a small comment accessed via the person's profile (or however this mod would work), rather than drawing attention (and perhaps further embarrassment) via a reply to the public thread.

Also, I have no idea where I got any of my Karma points.  Haha.  I'd be interested in knowing which specific posts engendered the appreciation of others.

++josh;
Susan
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2007, 10:03:15 PM »

the curiosity is there as to why you got the karma, but IMO i like the mystery. Because it can get real ugly if someone decides to leave comments like "you suck" or "homo".

and additionally, would those comments be accessable for anyone to read?
Menard
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2007, 10:09:46 PM »

..."you suck" or "homo".

Interesting pairing of terms. TeddyR
DodgingGrunge
Bad Movie Lover

Consistency is the hobgoblin of small minds.

« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2007, 10:45:28 PM »

..."you suck" or "homo".

Interesting pairing of terms. TeddyR

I laughed out loud.  Karma for you, you evil bastard you.  Wink

++josh;
dean

« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2007, 09:08:54 AM »

Once the questions have been cleared up it does add another dimension to the whole karma thing.

Sure the curiosity is there, so I'm all for the mod, but I'd only do it if you were still able to anonymous about it: such as, giving good/bad karma just because you wanted to.  If you felt like commenting then all good, and let it even tell you who it was, but if it's a must that they know who gives karma whether they had a reason to or not, then I'd skip it.

------------The password will be: Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch
Andrew
Administrator

« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2007, 11:21:09 AM »

Both here and the other thread makes some points that take some thinking on to really consider.  I will wait until the update for the karma mod is posted, then install it and see how it looks.  Allowing someone to choose whether to leave the comment and from information is a good point.  At present, the quick and anonymous system probably promotes its use - rather than worrying about who left who what.

I really do not want to get wrapped around the axle about karma.  Reading everyone's posts always gives me a good idea of what they are like.  I know that Menard bites at times, that RCMerchant loves life and classic horror, and that Yaddo has a knack for seeing a basic truth about things.

(There are a lot more posters that I should mention - but I only have so long to write this post.  What I want you to remember is "Beware of the Menard.")

Andrew Borntreger
Badmovies.org
Poogie
Bad Movie Lover

uuummmmmm.....BOO!

« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2007, 11:53:06 AM »

I would like the option of knowing why someone gave or took a karma, more for the taking of karma. The reason being is reading something that someone has written can be taken the wrong way. Also if I have written several posts in one day I'd like to know which one was the culprit that caused the negative karma. When I lost a karma I was reading everything I had written the day before trying to figure out what caused someones finger to move over to the boo button.  BounceGiggle I know that this may sound childish but it hit me like I had hurt someones feelings in some way or that someone had taken a joke seriously. I would never try to hurt someones feelings intentionally, unless they have purposely hurt me or my family, and I have a strange sense of humor so I can understand someone misinterpreting what I have written. If I knew the reason I could apologise or explain the reasoning behind the post. And yes, I am a very sensitive person, so be it. I'm taking chances coming to a forum and taking on the challenge of being criticised, maybe it will toughen me up a bit.  Smile

Oops.......Sorry Andrew......I had this written before I saw yours...I'll take a chance and post it.  Smile
« Last Edit: May 09, 2007, 11:57:11 AM by Poogie » Logged

Boogie...Boogie...Boogie...Boogie...  
Yaddo 42

Where's that brick.......

« Reply #13 on: May 09, 2007, 09:50:05 PM »

I'm all for trying out the karma/comment feature if it's optional, just to see what it would be like. But many people already explain why they give or take karma anyway.

I like the mystery, which always seemed like the way karma is supposed to operate anyway, sometimes your words (or actions) have consequences you don't expect. Along with that, I agree with Menard (shudder Buggedout Question), that the anonymity improves the chances of people giving negative karma. Yes, it can be abused, but I figure the people who would seriously abuse it would abuse the comment system as well, if possible.

People already give and take karma for silly and frivolous reasons sometimes as it is, so why get worked up about it?

blah blah stuff blah blah obscure pop culture reference blah blah clever turn of phrase blah blah bad pun blah blah bad link blah blah zzzz.....
Scott

Hey, I'm in the situation room ! ! !

« Reply #14 on: May 09, 2007, 10:04:12 PM »

I like the mystery, which always seemed like the way karma is supposed to operate anyway, sometimes your words (or actions) have consequences you don't expect.

Well said...........

Pages: [1] 2
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  Karma Mod for Forum? « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.