Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 18, 2024, 11:43:07 PM
712920 Posts in 53040 Topics by 7722 Members
Latest Member: GenevaBarr
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  Vanishing Point (1971) « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Vanishing Point (1971)  (Read 8268 times)
Neville
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« on: May 10, 2007, 05:58:52 PM »

Whoa, this is one cool, cool movie. I remembered the title a few weeks ago, while i was looking for road movies to watch. This one is pure 70s. It's sort of a thinking man's action movie, basically it consists of the journey of a man (Kowalski), who feels the urge to step on the accelerator to the limit while he's on a business trip to California.

And pretty much that's it. We get some flashbacks of Kowalski, which portray him as an alienated person and sort of explain his rebellion against the stablishment, and also some encounters with other outsiders who help him along the way, such as a biker or an old man he finds in the middle of the desert. But most of the film is Kowalski driving around, making a fool of the policemen who try to stop him and so on.

The film has its problems. I personally found the encounters with other outsiders a bit too long, but we get lots and lots of chases and stunts all the way to the end, and the minimalistic portrait of Kowalski (he barely speaks throughout the movie) works very well.

Due to the horrifying nature of this film, no one will be admitted to the theatre.
Scott

Hey, I'm in the situation room ! ! !

« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2007, 08:36:22 PM »

This is definately an enjoyable film that I discovered due to those here at badmovies.org. Never heard of VANISHING POINT or TWO LANE BLACKTOP till the topic came up a couple years ago. Nice car, scenery, and how about the ending.

I just picked up a road movie called MOTORAMA and I'm looking forward to viewing it. Might be fun.

Nice image from the movie Neville.

Here's an image from TWO-LANE BLACKTOP.

« Last Edit: May 10, 2007, 09:02:17 PM by Scott » Logged

trekgeezer

We're all just victims of circumstance

« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2007, 08:22:24 AM »

Glad you discovered this great movie Neville, there are several posts about around the board from last year.  I found it on $5 DVD, which includes the UK cut of the film.

Imagine the impact it had on me and my friends at age 17 when it was first released.

And you thought Trek isn't cool.
Neville

« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2007, 08:40:11 AM »

It must have been really something watching this film on its time of release. I kept thinking while I was watching it that it wouldn't work today as well, because society today is very different. Not to mention that the cops wouldn't be folled as easily as then and would have lots of technology to help them capture Kowalski.

Due to the horrifying nature of this film, no one will be admitted to the theatre.
Mr_Vindictive

By Sword. By Pick. By Axe. Bye Bye.

« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2007, 09:19:08 PM »

This film is still my favorite car chase flick of all time.  Kowalski kicks ass and everything about it is pure 70s.  I love how it tries to throw some existentialism in there, but it's all about that alpine white Dodge Charger racing cross country.

I really need to pick this one up on DVD.  I keep meaning to do so but keep forgetting.

A bald man named Savalas visited me last night in a dream.  I think it was a Telly vision.
Ash

23 Year Badmovies.org Veteran

« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2007, 04:05:03 PM »

I haven't seen this one yet but it sounds good.
This was the movie the characters in Grindhouse (Death Proof) were talking about while sitting in a diner.

I might have to check this one out.   Thumbup
soylentgreen
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2007, 09:08:18 PM »

I had seen some small part of it years ago and never got around to seeing the whole damn thing...this thread has compelled me to correct that oversight.   Thumbup

In popping it into my netflix queue, I noticed a pretty-much-in-name-only tv remake with Viggo Mortensen from 1997.  Sounds vaguely intriguing though.  Having been a fan of his for many years now(long before the general populace even had an inkling who the hell he was!)I'd be willing to extend the effort to check it out. 

That's my driver's license picture....I hate that picture!"
akiratubo

« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2007, 09:30:10 PM »

Vanishing Point is one of the best movies around, as far as I'm concerned.  I wouldn't change a thing about it.

that alpine white Dodge Charger

It's actually a Challenger.

Kneel before Dr. Hell, the ruler of this world!
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  Vanishing Point (1971) « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.