Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 06:21:57 PM
714415 Posts in 53097 Topics by 7742 Members
Latest Member: KathleneKa
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Godzilla, King of the Monsters « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Godzilla, King of the Monsters  (Read 4358 times)
Andrew
Administrator
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

I know where my towel is.

« on: May 15, 2007, 11:27:16 AM »

I watched the Americanized version of "Gojira" the other night and realized how much the editing and the addition of Mr. Burr hurt the film.  The scenes with the American reporter, Steve Martin, are horribly tacked on and the voiceovers for the Japanese characters are awful.  They also cut too much of the plot that carries forward the tragic love triangle.

Another "why in the heck did they do that" question is changing the reason for the group of government officials to visit Odo island.  In the original version, it was to meet the survivors from one of the shipwrecks.  In the American cut, it is because the backwards islanders have a legend about a monster.

Still effective for the Godzilla scenes, but the 1956 American cut is a far inferior film.

Andrew Borntreger
Badmovies.org
DodgingGrunge
Bad Movie Lover

Consistency is the hobgoblin of small minds.

« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2007, 11:48:02 AM »

The changes were certainly political in nature.  Godzilla was a poignant tale about the dangers and destruction of nuclear warfare, a heartfelt sentiment resounding through post-war Japan.  America, on the other hand, having dropped two nuclear bombs just a decade earlier, was in a position to neither empathize nor appreciate the story as such.  The silliness and campiness of the American cut suggested it was nothing more than just another b-movie monster extravaganza, and that's how it has been perceived by us ever since.  And even though the original has (finally!) been restored, Godzilla has become just another cheesy b-movie monster through its numerous sequels and spinoffs.  It's a shame.

++josh;
daveblackeye15

« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2007, 02:11:05 PM »

It's weird how Godzilla went from a serious movie (something like Casablanca) to total B-movie themed stuff (a la you know) and yet he's still popular and it works in a way. I don't think any other film has been able to do that. It would be like starting with Godfather IV the movies became more and more action packed car chase stuff and yet they'd still be poplular and make money. (When of course in these days such a thing would bomb)

It's something I scratch my head at times.

Now it's time to sing the nation anthem IN AMERICA!!!

Bandit Keith from Yu-Gi-Oh the Abridged Series (episode 12)
Snivelly
Bad Movie Lover

....a heady mix of ignorance and enthusiasm.

« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2007, 05:23:33 PM »

The changes were certainly political in nature.  Godzilla was a poignant tale about the dangers and destruction of nuclear warfare, a heartfelt sentiment resounding through post-war Japan.  America, on the other hand, having dropped two nuclear bombs just a decade earlier, was in a position to neither empathize nor appreciate the story as such.  The silliness and campiness of the American cut suggested it was nothing more than just another b-movie monster extravaganza, and that's how it has been perceived by us ever since.  And even though the original has (finally!) been restored, Godzilla has become just another cheesy b-movie monster through its numerous sequels and spinoffs.  It's a shame.

So true!  It's the cultural difference, and that's why we can't make giant monster movies with the same heart as the Japanese.  I'm not knocking the atomic monster movies like Them! and the like, because those are fun, but the kaiju movies are much more interesting, even the really bad ones. 

If at first you don't succeed, skydiving isn't the sport for you.
JaseSF
Super Space Age Freaky Geek
B-Movie Kraken

Soon, your brain will turn to jelly.

« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2007, 05:29:36 PM »

It's a personal preference maybe but I do prefer the American version perhaps because it's the movie that first caused me to fall in love with Godzilla as a movie monster. Honestly I actually miss Raymond Burr in the original Japanese cut and personally, I like seeing less attention focused on the romantic triangle as if that's somehow more important than the horror threatening Tokyo.  But that's just me.

"This above all: To thine own self be true!"
Andrew
Administrator

I know where my towel is.

« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2007, 11:17:20 AM »

I was amused by how they injected Steve Martin into some parts by having him "interact" with the original Japanese characters.  "Emiko" kneeling by him in the hospital was one such event.  Notice that the woman kneeling is shaped like Emiko, but she never turns so we can see her face.

Ditto with the scene where Steve calls Dr. Serizawa.  Yes, the person on the phone in the lab is wearing an eyepatch, but a beaker or test tube is obscuring his face.  Sort of like the neighbor from "Home Improvement," but with science stuff.

Andrew Borntreger
Badmovies.org
Captain Tars Tarkas
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2007, 04:46:21 PM »

What America did is nothing compared to what Italy did:  http://tarstarkas.net/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=407&Itemid=46

WingedSerpent

I AM THE BAD PHOTOSHOP EFFECT!

« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2007, 07:13:59 PM »

It's still a classic.  I like my giant monster movies with more of a dark edge.  I'll still watch campy ones, but they are just not up to the quaility.

The documentary style scences that have Godzilla destroying the city are my favorite parts of the movie.  They tried to make it look like an actual kaiju was filmed.

At least, that's what Gary Busey told me...
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

"Charlie,we're in HELL!"-"yeah,ain't it groovy?!"

« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2007, 08:35:24 PM »

It was YEARS before I saw the original Japanese version...and I enjoyed it much better...I thiought the scenes with Raymond Burr were very irratating and somehow condencending to the intelligence of the audiance, Of course,in the 50's teenagers were probally the target audiance...and for them,it was most likely the giant monster,and not the social commentary that was the selling point...

"Supernatural?...perhaps. Baloney?...Perhaps not!" Bela Lugosi-the BLACK CAT (1934)
Interviewer-"Does Dracula ever end for you?
Lugosi-"No. Dracula-never ends."

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
https://www.tumblr.com/ronmerchant
daveblackeye15

« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2007, 12:35:43 AM »

I'll read that Italian version later.

I remember when I first heard that Raymond Burr was merely inserted in the U.S. version I went and re-watched the movie. It was that time that I noticed that we never saw the other character's faces. I pointed this out to my dad this one time he was watching it with me (I was 11 at the time) and he looked at the screen thoughtfully and went 'ooohhh.'

Now it's time to sing the nation anthem IN AMERICA!!!

Bandit Keith from Yu-Gi-Oh the Abridged Series (episode 12)
Flangepart

« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2007, 11:17:12 AM »

Yep.
I do prefer the original version. Much more solid,as a story. My friend jim watched my two disc copy, and he prefered the original version too.
And i don't think Jim has ever seen either version. Have to ask him...

"Aggressivlly eccentric, and proud of it!"
Just Plain Horse
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2007, 03:02:44 PM »

I watched the Americanized version of "Gojira" the other night and realized how much the editing and the addition of Mr. Burr hurt the film.  The scenes with the American reporter, Steve Martin, are horribly tacked on and the voiceovers for the Japanese characters are awful.  They also cut too much of the plot that carries forward the tragic love triangle.

Another "why in the heck did they do that" question is changing the reason for the group of government officials to visit Odo island.  In the original version, it was to meet the survivors from one of the shipwrecks.  In the American cut, it is because the backwards islanders have a legend about a monster.

Still effective for the Godzilla scenes, but the 1956 American cut is a far inferior film.

I have to admit it seems sort of condescending towards the Japanese in general- from the line, "if he's seen a monster he's had too much sake" to the way all the Asian characters seem to cowtow to Burr in almost every scene.

My favorite bad voiceover has to be the one for Dr. Yamane: "It can safely be assumed that two milion ears ago, this Bondazarus roamed the Earth..."

Still, if you think that bad, you should check out the new DVD release of Godzilla Raids Again. I saw it once when I was a kid, but I'd forgotten how awful the Americanized version was... Even though Mr. Sulu, George Takei does some of the dubbing... the "Banana Oil" line is MST3k material if ever there was some.

CoreyHeldpen
Bad Movie Lover

I think these komodos need to leave this cruise.

« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2007, 10:26:17 PM »

Jeez, America has been taking great Japanese films and turning them into mediocre shadows of their former selves for over half a century now. In the case of Gojira, the American remake was a pretty OK movie, albeit not as good as the original.

I don't know why Devlin and Emmerich bothered to make an Americanized Godzilla flick in '98. The same thing had already been done long before.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2007, 11:00:51 AM by CoreyHeldpen » Logged

"The only three things I hate are demons, malfunctioning robots, and monster movies that don't show you the monster."
JaseSF
Super Space Age Freaky Geek
B-Movie Kraken

Soon, your brain will turn to jelly.

« Reply #13 on: May 25, 2007, 11:21:51 AM »

The Devlin and Emmerich Godzilla film was much closer to BEAST FROM 20, OOO FATHOMS with a bit of unwanted JURASSIC PARK thrown in. I'm sticking to my preference of the Americaned GODZILLA, KING OF THE MONSTERS because I feel it does concentrate more on the terrifying thing happening to Tokyo than the original which is a little too concerned with the love triangle stuff for my liking.

"This above all: To thine own self be true!"
Flangepart

« Reply #14 on: May 25, 2007, 03:19:48 PM »

Sadly, the original version of G Raids again is not much better, accept story wise. Nice they brought Dr. Yamane back for the "Scientest explains it all" scene.

"Aggressivlly eccentric, and proud of it!"
Pages: [1] 2
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Godzilla, King of the Monsters « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.