Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 07:32:45 AM
714515 Posts in 53098 Topics by 7744 Members
Latest Member: MichelFran
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Gotta have respect for MST3K........ « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Gotta have respect for MST3K........  (Read 3282 times)
respectmeordye3
Bad Movie Lover

« on: May 08, 2007, 04:15:17 PM »

This is probably allready well known but I gotta say that the volume sets of this wonderful show have earned my respect because you not only get the hilarious version you love but if you turn the discs over you get the real version of the movie---though in cases like the Creeping Terror(narrated almost entirely-very little acting) Catalina Caper(typical beach comedy  movie of the sixties) and worst of all---Skydivers(Makes Manos look like an Oscar award winner it is so bad) I am not sure.....
Torgo
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2007, 06:15:07 PM »

I think that they stopped doing that around the time of the 3rd set.

I'm a huge MST3K fan but Rhino is taking fans for a ride with these sets.

First of all,  they could fit 2 episodes on one side of the disc instead of just one without compromising image quality.  Eegah! has both the MST3K version and the uncut movie on one side of the disc and there are absolutely no compression problems.

They could even make them flippers and put 16 episodes in a 4 disc set that way instead of just 4.

Plus the quality of the some of the discs are horrendous.  Merlin's Shop of Mystical Wonders looks atrocious and is way too dark and The Dead Talk Back has all kinds of digital glitches in it.

While I'm glad that they're (ever so very slowly) releasing them on DVD, Rhino could be doing a much better job than they have been doing.

It's almost like they really don't care.  While I realize that they're trying to release most of the public domain movies first, there are still a lot more of those that they haven't gotten around to releasing.

50 dollars for a 4 disc box set with just 4 90 minute episodes is a rip off.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2007, 08:37:47 PM by Torgo » Logged

"There is no way out of here. It'll be dark soon. There is no way out of here."
Jim H

« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2007, 01:34:03 PM »

They should have gone ahead and released them as seasons.  It's almost as bad as releasing all the Masters of Horror episodes as individual discs.
Raffine

« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2007, 02:49:35 PM »

I agree with Torgo.

I realize there are some copyright issues with many of the MST3K episodes and some may never be released on DVD. That said: the way Rhino is handling these 'box set' releases reminds me of the way Image intitally was releasing The Twilight Zone. You would pay 20 bucks for a disc with four or five seemingly random episodes with no connection as to theme or season.

They did get their act together a couple of years ago and release the series in (pricey) box sets by season with lots of extras.

If you're an Andy Milligan fan there's no hope for you.
JaseSF
Super Space Age Freaky Geek
B-Movie Kraken

Soon, your brain will turn to jelly.

« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2007, 04:10:06 PM »

I didn't respect MST3K for quite a time. Always felt it was much too easy for them to pick on a low budget target (which I also could easily do myself and in my own opinion in more entertaining fashion) but then when they started making fun of the big budget stuff and recognized some of it wasn't as good as the old-time bad movies, well my attitude changed a bit. I would like to cover the series in the TV Files eventually and I hope I'll be able to give them a fair shake although I do wonder if I'll be able to forget or put out of my mind they way they mistreated a bonafide classic in THIS ISLAND EARTH, which was the one that most offended me and they even chose an edited print of that.

"This above all: To thine own self be true!"
Kooshmeister
The King of Koosh!
Bad Movie Lover

Must have caffeine...

« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2007, 09:00:32 PM »

A testament to how much I love MST is the fact I enjoy it even when they riff on movies that I think are actually halfway decent (like Gorgo, for instance, and Revenge of the Creature).
Jordan
B-Movie Site Webmaster
Bad Movie Lover

Thunderball Fists?! I can have such a thing?!

« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2007, 10:24:41 PM »

I agree that the sets are pricey and more episodes could (or rather should) be included, however, you must keep in mind that Rhino, while it has become a much larger company in the scheme of things, is still a rather small operation. So I really don't blame them for charging 50 - 60 dollars for each set. Hell, you pay that much for ONE movie released by Criterion on DVD, so I'm not complaining at all.  Wink

-----
The Vault Master
Caretaker of The B-Movie Film Vault
-----
KYGOTC
Corprate slimeball of E.E.S.

Be EXELLENT to each other...and PARTY ON DUDES!!

« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2007, 09:16:55 PM »

I found a place where you can buy decent copies of the episodes that Rhino hasnt put out yet. Its the same place I got my Japanese Spider-man. I think its called "Video Hall of Justice" or something like that.

"I'm a man too, you know! I go pee-pee standing up!"
Torgo

« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2007, 10:20:46 PM »

I found a place where you can buy decent copies of the episodes that Rhino hasnt put out yet. Its the same place I got my Japanese Spider-man. I think its called "Video Hall of Justice" or something like that.

I've had extremely good luck (and am very pleased with the quality of the DVD's) with this MST3k site.

http://www.castleforrester.com/

"There is no way out of here. It'll be dark soon. There is no way out of here."
Just Plain Horse
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2007, 03:02:57 PM »

I think that they stopped doing that around the time of the 3rd set.

I'm a huge MST3K fan but Rhino is taking fans for a ride with these sets.

First of all,  they could fit 2 episodes on one side of the disc instead of just one without compromising image quality.  Eegah! has both the MST3K version and the uncut movie on one side of the disc and there are absolutely no compression problems.

They could even make them flippers and put 16 episodes in a 4 disc set that way instead of just 4.

Plus the quality of the some of the discs are horrendous.  Merlin's Shop of Mystical Wonders looks atrocious and is way too dark and The Dead Talk Back has all kinds of digital glitches in it.

While I'm glad that they're (ever so very slowly) releasing them on DVD, Rhino could be doing a much better job than they have been doing.

It's almost like they really don't care.  While I realize that they're trying to release most of the public domain movies first, there are still a lot more of those that they haven't gotten around to releasing.

50 dollars for a 4 disc box set with just 4 90 minute episodes is a rip off.

Hmm... I think it varies with each "episode"- or disc, in some cases.

The Good:

I thought some that Rhino has done were pretty good- Eegah!, Beginning of the End, and The Giant Spider Invasion. The first two because they were double-sided "both versions"... and the third because I happen to like the 4-pack it came in, the jukebox selections, and the "spider menu" (plus, I love the episode). Generally I do feel that the four packs are somewhat lackluster, but this was a rare exception.

The Bad:

Glitches are unexcusible at such a price, especially when the fanbase can get better copies for less. The Dead Talk Back and Killer Shrews are two unfortunate examples of someone falling asleep at the wheel. Shoddy, and hardly encouraging. I don't recall any VHS version having a single problem. Also, for some reason I felt disappointed that the Hercules discs and Prince of Space disc were so bare bones. A few trailers would be nice.

The Ugly (Near-misses)

The "Essentials" disc wasn't a bad idea, but I didn't care for the selections. Manos was already available and Santa Claus Conquers THe Martians is a lightweight, to say the least. Why not a Godzilla or Gamera double pack? And now that I think about it, my Swamp Diamonds disc causes my DVD player to make an odd noise when it's on the menu... one more damn glitch. Rhino seems to make a habit of putting one episode I love in a 4 pack with either one mildly like (Giant Spider Invasion & Godzilla vs. Megalon) or in a pack I refuse to buy, period (Phantom Planet, surrounded by Monster A-go-go, Hobgoblins and The Dead Talk Back).

While Volume 7 & 10 had their highpoints for me, for most part I have to agree with Torgo. Volume 11 promises something different, but only if you're a Bert I Gordon fan...

To Rhino- no Gorgo, Gamera or Godzilla, no $50+

WingedSerpent

I AM THE BAD PHOTOSHOP EFFECT!

« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2007, 06:49:58 PM »

I loved the show.  It was sadly the only way I got a chance to see many of the b-movies.  Late-night around here is mostly informecials and religious programming.  I miss the Saturdays when they would show monster movies.

At least, that's what Gary Busey told me...
JaseSF
Super Space Age Freaky Geek
B-Movie Kraken

Soon, your brain will turn to jelly.

« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2007, 08:59:40 PM »

I would suspect there'd be serious rights issues with Godzilla, Gamera and Gorgo.

"This above all: To thine own self be true!"
Raffine

« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2007, 09:12:50 PM »

I would suspect there'd be serious rights issues with Godzilla, Gamera and Gorgo.

I believe the MST3K producers had some legal problems with infamous distributor Sandy Frank, who has the rights to many of the prime episode movies like the Gamera ones and TIME OF THE APES. I believe he had his feelings hurt when Joel and the 'bots constantly ripped on Frank*.

I'm pretty sure  the first Sci-Fi Channel season  episodes featuring Universal  50's sci-fi flicks like REVENGE OF THE CREATURE, THE DEADLY MANTIS, THE LEECH WOMAN, and THE MOLE PEOPLE will never see MST3K versions on DVD if greedy Universal has anything to do about it (and they certainly do!). What with Godzilla currently getting those fancy new serious DVD releases I'd bet the same goes for those films.

Sad really. Those were some of the best episodes.

* That's Sandy Frank, NOT TV's Frank.  Smile

Not Sandy Frank
« Last Edit: May 24, 2007, 09:17:40 PM by Raffine » Logged

If you're an Andy Milligan fan there's no hope for you.
Flangepart

« Reply #13 on: May 25, 2007, 03:31:49 PM »

Price wise, many films are about  14:99 at best buy, and thats what they charged for the new G Vs. Mothra disk, which is great, but you know...
So, four films for $12 each is liveable, but i do prefer some films to others.  Thats where the "Pick what you want" thought comes to mind.

Loved GORGO. I agree with Leonard Eburt, uh, Maltin...Gorgo is watchable by itself..."O'Kenny" and all, but..."GORGO! The Vice Presidents uninspireing campaign slogon"
"Mr Modest crotch back there..."
"They got into port, and everyone was okey-they went out for lunch, and felt betterrr!"....
"Stand here and get killed? Yes sir."
"He looks like a chimp dressed up."

Ah, the love...

"Aggressivlly eccentric, and proud of it!"
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Gotta have respect for MST3K........ « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.