Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 05:14:28 PM
714491 Posts in 53097 Topics by 7744 Members
Latest Member: MichelFran
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  The Amazing Screw On Head (get it!) « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: The Amazing Screw On Head (get it!)  (Read 2334 times)
BTM
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« on: May 18, 2007, 05:11:06 PM »

Okay, here's a fun show to watch... from what I understand it's a Sci-Fi original channel production based on the comic book of the same name.  Story goes like this: it's the 1800s and the Amazing Screw On Head (called Head for short) is a robot with a screw for a neck who can attach himself to different, premade robotic bodies.  He works for President Lincoln (story takes place around 1860) as a government agent.

The case: two old women (one of them a werewolf) and a machine-gun toting chipanzee have kidnapped the world's foremost expert on ancient Occult manuscripts.  They're working for the evil Emperor Zombie, a corpse in a tuxedo (and Head's former manservant.)  Apparently they need the guy to translate an ancient text which contains instructions on how to open an old temple of some powerful warrior, who, with the aid of supernatural powers, nearly conquered the world in 9236 BC.

Sound crazy?  Well, it is, but you can't say it's not fun!

The story is pretty wild, lots of hysterical one liners and memorable characters.  The animation style is pretty dark and retro, which gives the show a really cool feeling (told the style is taken directly from the comic book.)

I can't say enough about how bizarre and cool the whole show is, I HIGHLY recommend everyone watch it.

On the downside, the show is a bit short (only 22 minutes).  There's so much kickass material in here, I think they could have easily made this into a hour (heck, maybe even two) film.  I'm guessing it's short mainly because it stays true to the comic book, which the creator said he wanted to do in the vain of Monty Python, a lot of quick, bizarre gags, with little or no backstory, and then onto the next line.

Sadly, so far, this is the ONLY show of the series, and it's not certain they'll be any more (in an interview on the DVD, the comic's creator says he felt the comic turned out perfect and he couldn't add anything to it.)  Whether this means the original adventures for the show will be written under a different team remains to be seen.

Of course, therein lies the dilemmia... could another group of people possibly take the show's premise and come up with storylines equal to the original?  or would anyone else besides the story's creator just produce a pale imitiation?  For a guy like me who would love to have more Head (so to speak) it's a real food for thought.

Anyway, get the DVD, you can get it from Netflix.

IMDB info
http://imdb.com/title/tt0468445/maindetails

« Last Edit: May 26, 2007, 04:51:16 PM by BTM » Logged

"Some people mature, some just get older." -Andrew Vachss
Doc Daneeka
The Game is Finished?

It's neVer over!

« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2007, 05:48:40 PM »

geez, I hope it's not the same guys who did hellboy animated...

https://www.youtube.com/user/silverspherechannel
For the latest on the fifth installment in Don Coscarelli's Phantasm saga.
Mofo Rising
Global Moderator

My cat can eat a whole watermelon!

« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2007, 06:00:24 PM »

I really liked this one.  I would venture that it's the same people who did the animated Hellboy, but I really liked that one too.

The comic by Mike Mignola was a bizarre little affair.  According to him, it was something he did to amuse himself with every panel.  The cartoon captures the zaniness, and expands upon it.

I'd love to see the series get picked up, but doubt anybody would put down the money for it.  I wasn't even aware this came out on Sci-Fi, only seeing it on DVD.

Every dead body that is not exterminated becomes one of them. It gets up and kills. The people it kills, get up and kill.
AnubisVonMojo
B-Movie Site Webmaster

Jesus H. Chelios!

« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2007, 01:13:53 AM »

Unlike the Hellboy animated movies, this was actually done in an animated style mimicking Mignola's original art style which sold me on it right off the bat. The voice work is excellent (David Hyde Pierce as Emperor Zombie is a perfect fit) and I would actually get cable again if this gets turned into a full series. There's always hope considering the caliber of talent willing to lend their voices and the reaction from viewers was huge for the most part. I did a review for it on our website a few months back when it came out on DVD. One of the best things I've seen in a long time.  ThumbupTeddyR
« Last Edit: May 22, 2007, 06:41:00 PM by tombofanubisdotcom » Logged

"Don't make me stain my last clean shirt with the back of your head." - Shatter Dead
"A grizzly bear with a chainsaw. Now THERE's a killing machine!" - The Simpsons
"I've always wanted to make love to an angry welder." - Jaws: the Revenge
felgekarp
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2007, 04:19:33 AM »

Wasn't there a vote online to see if this would get turned into a series when it was originally aired on tv?  I can only assume that it didn't get a good enough response but the single existing episode is definately worth checking out.
Just Plain Horse
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2007, 02:54:53 PM »

I originally saw this when it was on Scifi, but completely forgot about the online poll (d'oh!)... it is surprisingly good for being so short and Hellboy-affiliated. The sense of humor in it is almost palpable. Emporer Zombie's every line seems to be dripping with sarcasm. Patience, Head's former girlfriend turned-undead-blood sucker is a pretty good character- voiced my Molly Shannon, I believe. The concept of an evil, unstoppable demigod monster trapped inside a turnip is just one of the many amusing little plot twists. On the whole, it's a sort of sardonic, dark-humored Leagure of Extraordinary Gentlemen where every character gets at least one good moment... even Abraham Lincoln!
KYGOTC
Corprate slimeball of E.E.S.

Be EXELLENT to each other...and PARTY ON DUDES!!

« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2007, 06:34:29 PM »

I dig Magnola's HELLBOY. I read the series. I gave this a watch thinking it would be pretty cool, but I was dissipointed. Maybe I should watch more than 1 episode....
« Last Edit: May 23, 2007, 09:19:07 PM by KYGOTC » Logged

"I'm a man too, you know! I go pee-pee standing up!"
Flangepart

« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2007, 10:35:41 AM »

Huh...maybe i should check this one out. Though the art style of the comic did not peek my intrest.

"Aggressivlly eccentric, and proud of it!"
AnubisVonMojo
B-Movie Site Webmaster

Jesus H. Chelios!

« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2007, 11:49:11 AM »

Huh...maybe i should check this one out. Though the art style of the comic did not peek my intrest.

Yeah, Mignola's style, though very distinct and unmistakable, definitely doesn't appeal to everybody. Though I'd like to pull out the old "love it or hate it" adage, I actually wasn't a fan of the man's work from the start. Once I warmed up to it (especially when he inks his own stuff) though, he's become one of my favorite illustrators. I'm not saying the same's true for yourself or anyone else, I'm just saying that Mignola's that type of style.

"Don't make me stain my last clean shirt with the back of your head." - Shatter Dead
KYGOTC
Corprate slimeball of E.E.S.

Be EXELLENT to each other...and PARTY ON DUDES!!

« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2007, 09:20:29 PM »

Yeah, Mignola's style, though very distinct and unmistakable, definitely doesn't appeal to everybody. Though I'd like to pull out the old "love it or hate it" adage, I actually wasn't a fan of the man's work from the start. Once I warmed up to it (especially when he inks his own stuff) though, he's become one of my favorite illustrators. I'm not saying the same's true for yourself or anyone else, I'm just saying that Mignola's that type of style.

Yea, he's pretty awxsome. Have you seen his Batman?

"I'm a man too, you know! I go pee-pee standing up!"
AnubisVonMojo
B-Movie Site Webmaster

Jesus H. Chelios!

« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2007, 10:03:42 PM »

Yeah, Gotham By Gaslight was beautiful. For anyone who hasn't read it, it's an alternate universe tale where Batman hunts Jack the Ripper. Interesting, but it's the art that really makes it.  TeddyR

Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  The Amazing Screw On Head (get it!) « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.