Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 07:09:10 PM
714415 Posts in 53097 Topics by 7742 Members
Latest Member: KathleneKa
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Swamp Thing. *spoilers* « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Swamp Thing. *spoilers*  (Read 13487 times)
daveblackeye15
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« on: May 31, 2007, 01:24:37 PM »

I had the pleasure of re-watching this childhood movie at my grandma's house.

Of course it does not quite live up to memories it's still pretty fun. Though from the sound of things it followed the early Swamp Thing years and not the Alan Moore years when he made it really popular.

The effects are pretty funny especially whenever Swampy attacks a vehicle. One point he rips off the top of a jeep and it just goes flying off rather slowly. His costume is the best, while Arcane's Boar monster suit needed a little work on the face.

And unsurprisingly the end fight seemed a lot longer when I was a kid. I do remember certain parts scaring me. These include Cable nearly drowning and Arcane mutating. I can see little touches of Wes Craven's style I thought the aforementioned scenes were nicely done. An effect I like is how they showed that bullets would simply pass through Swampy. Music's all right too.

Favorite part: The boat attack scene. It seemed so bad ass to mount a machine gun on a speed boat.

I just wish they made it clearer what Arcane is exactly. Some kind of infamous terrorist, a rogue agent with deep pockets? I know in the comic he's a wizard of some sort.

Anyone else enjoy this?

Now it's time to sing the nation anthem IN AMERICA!!!

Bandit Keith from Yu-Gi-Oh the Abridged Series (episode 12)
Snivelly
Bad Movie Lover

....a heady mix of ignorance and enthusiasm.

« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2007, 02:47:41 PM »

I make a point of watching this one whenever I see it on the cable guide.  Always fun no matter how many times I've seen it.

If at first you don't succeed, skydiving isn't the sport for you.
Torgo

« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2007, 03:52:56 PM »

I've read interviews in which Wes Craven said that this movie was absolutely plagued with production problems.

He's said that the final cut isn't what he really wanted out of the flick, though it does still have it's fans.

I've always found it to be pretty goofy fun.

"There is no way out of here. It'll be dark soon. There is no way out of here."
Mofo Rising
Global Moderator

My cat can eat a whole watermelon!

« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2007, 04:29:05 PM »

I agree with Torgo.

Is the current DVD release still missing the Adrienne Barbeau nudity?  I remember reading about how some lady had plopped her kids down in front of this PG release (before PG-13), and was shocked, shocked I tell you, at Barbeau's extended topless scene.  She wrote an angry letter to somebody and all the DVD's were pulled from stores to be replaced sans toplessness.

I would have assumed a naked Adrienne Barbeau would be of interest to all.

Every dead body that is not exterminated becomes one of them. It gets up and kills. The people it kills, get up and kill.
daveblackeye15

« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2007, 08:58:07 PM »

I've heard. They accidentaly put out the internation cut and they took their sweet time noticing the mistake.

Now it's time to sing the nation anthem IN AMERICA!!!

Bandit Keith from Yu-Gi-Oh the Abridged Series (episode 12)
Torgo

« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2007, 04:07:44 PM »

I would have assumed a naked Adrienne Barbeau would be of interest to all.

Yes, indeed. Talk about an incredible woman in her prime.

Torgo

« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2007, 04:26:16 PM »

Unless something has been changed, here's what I found out on the IMDb.

Recent DVD release by MGM features some additional shots of nudity:
When Adrienne Barbeau takes a bath in the swamp you could only see a side shot of her breast. Now you can see some extra seconds of full-on breast shots.
At the beginning of the party scene (Bruno's big comeuppance) two dancing gypsy women taking off their clothes. This footage was not included in previous video and laserdisc releases.

A friend of mine just bought the DVD recently and I'll have to ask him about if these bits are still in there.

Gabezilla84
New Visitor

« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2007, 04:29:22 PM »

I just saw the movie for the first time recently and I thought it was pretty good. I'd personally love to see a new Swamp Thing movie based on Alan Moore's run on the comic. That would be an incredible movie.  hot

One thing you can never be too sure of is that you can never be too sure.

Are you sure of that?
BoyScoutKevin

« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2007, 05:34:58 PM »

"There goes the neighborhood!"

Surprsingly good in my opinion. Despite all the production problems, I do think it shows what a good director--like Wes Craven--can bring to a film. I also think the film is helped by being shot in a real swamp, as opposed to being shot on a soundstage swamp.
Andrew
Administrator

I know where my towel is.

« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2007, 06:43:34 PM »

Welcome aboard, Gabezilla84.  Quite often, if they could manage it, actually following one of the good story arcs from a comic would yield a good movie.  The problem is figuring out how to make that adaptation.

Andrew Borntreger
Badmovies.org
MoronBoy
Dedicated Viewer

« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2007, 07:59:22 PM »

Okay movie.

Sequel? disappointing, unless you watch it knowing your in for a purposely campy flick.

Anyone remember the television series that aired on late Friday nights on USA? I have memories of watching that one with the family as a kid, but no recollection of any of the episodes.
Jack
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2007, 07:54:38 AM »

A fun flick, though I've seen it so many times it's gotten a bit boring.  Don't know about the nudity on the DVD, I seem to recall from a review on Amazon that they include those scenes as extras on the DVD, but they haven't put them back in the movie.  But I don't know for sure.  It would be a cryin' shame if they didn't add them back in properly.

I can't remember the second movie, though that's another one I've been meaning to pick up.  It stars that babe that played Amanda on Melrose Place, so I don't quite see how it could be anything less than marvelous  TeddyR

The world is changed by your example, not by your opinion.

- Paulo Coelho
Torgo

« Reply #12 on: June 04, 2007, 04:27:53 PM »

Talk about irony.

I was posting about Swamp Thing last week and this past weekend I stumble across a copy of the now out of print uncut Swamp Thing DVD at a local video store for 4.99.

I checked with my friend and his is the corrected version without the nudity.

I noticed that the one that is uncut has a 2000 copyright for the DVD listed on it and I think the corrected one is 2001.

Torgo

« Reply #13 on: June 04, 2007, 04:53:29 PM »

BTW, I thought this thread could use a bit of Adrienne Barbeau eye candy.   Cheers

Torgo

« Reply #14 on: June 04, 2007, 08:58:22 PM »

Okay, the uncut DVD of Swamp Thing has this cover

(which is the one I luckily picked up used for 4.99 at a video store, some sellers on Ebay are selling the uncut DVD for upwards of 100 dollars!).

The edited PG theatrical version has this cover
.  This is the one that my friend has.

Happy hunting!   Cheers

Pages: [1] 2
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Swamp Thing. *spoilers* « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.