Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 18, 2024, 10:25:56 PM
712918 Posts in 53040 Topics by 7722 Members
Latest Member: GenevaBarr
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  Blood Simple (1983) « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Blood Simple (1983)  (Read 11140 times)
zombie no.one
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

Oookaay...

« on: June 03, 2007, 10:12:25 PM »

Fargo has been one of my top 10 films for years now, so I figured Id better finally watch Cohen bros' first movie (up till now Ive seen fargo, raising arizona, hudsucker proxy, barton fink, big lebowski, and maybe one more).

not too sure what to make of Blood Simple really. its hailed as a classic or at least a semi-classic by most film heads, but I was almost left not sure what to think. there's a fair bit of tension, decent if not great acting, tons of originality vis-a-vis the plotline and general icy tone of the movie, but for some reason I was left a bit stumped. expectations set too high maybe? I know its their first film and everything but although I enjoyed it I kind of wanted more.

I just thought Id throw that out there for anyone who might agree or disagree. any opinions on this flm?

The Mandela Effect is a Mandela Effect
Ed, Ego and Superego

« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2007, 10:35:27 PM »

I never saw it, but the title comes from a Dashiell Hammett story.
-Ed

Quantum materiae materietur marmota monax si marmota monax materiam possit materiari?

Si Hoc Legere Scis Nimium Eruditionis Habes
Scott

Hey, I'm in the situation room ! ! !

« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2007, 10:47:21 PM »

It's been on my list because I've heard good things about it.

SaintMort
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2007, 10:49:50 PM »

I liked it alot... it was a little slow but the last half hour is awesome... the bullet holes appearing in the wall was awesome
Mofo Rising
Global Moderator

My cat can eat a whole watermelon!

« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2007, 11:21:37 PM »

Blood Simple is good.  Not amazing, but definitely worthwhile.  If you have the DVD, check out the commentary by the "film historian".  It's one of the more bizarre things you'll see.

If you haven't seen Miller's Crossing, check it out as soon as you can.  It's one of the best movies ever made.

Every dead body that is not exterminated becomes one of them. It gets up and kills. The people it kills, get up and kill.
zombie no.one

Oookaay...

« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2007, 11:55:08 PM »

well I bought this DVD of Blood Simple just 2 days ago and there's no commentary track on there. the only extras are a trailer for B/S itself, and a trailer for Big Lebowski, that's it - apart from subtitles...the date on the back says 2000, there must have been a more recent edition I'd guess.

havent seen Miller's Crossing, I'll put that on my to see list.

@St. Mort, yeah first part was very slow, definitely picks up in the latter stages, I thought that as well.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2007, 12:00:14 AM by depressed crack addict » Logged

DodgingGrunge
Bad Movie Lover

Consistency is the hobgoblin of small minds.

« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2007, 03:07:20 AM »

well I bought this DVD of Blood Simple just 2 days ago and there's no commentary track on there.

That's a shame.  The DVD version labeled "Director's Cut" comes with an inventive commentary track by fictitious film historian Kenneth Loring.  The DC also has a shorter runtime, which helps do-away with several of the bits you felt were slow.

If you find yourself appreciating the Coen brothers mostly for their weirdness, there's a film with Michael Rapaport called The Naked Man, which Ethan Coen co-created.  It's a very weird tale about a chiropractor turned wrestler turned all-around maniac.  For some reason this was never released on DVD, but chances are pretty good that most decent-sized video stores will have the tape (what with Fargo's popularity at the time!).

++josh;
zombie no.one

Oookaay...

« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2007, 03:17:28 PM »

^cheers, Ill look out for the Naked Man (so to speak).

@ Mofo I bought Millers Crossing on your reccomendation and watched it and its excellent, so good looking out for that.

lester1/2jr
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2007, 07:03:53 PM »

is this the one where the guy is in the bar and like....   aahh bro I liked this alot. i remeber it had a real good story and I enjoyed it for that reason.  the guy who owns the bar hires someone to kill his wife or something?
zombie no.one

Oookaay...

« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2007, 07:30:04 PM »

^ yeah thats the one.

Torgo

« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2007, 07:47:06 PM »

Like a couple of other people have mentioned, when they did the theatrical re-release a while back, the Cohens actually used that excuse to actually REMOVE some extraneous stuff from the original cut and tighten it up a bit.

It's kind of unheard of as usually when people hear the word director's cut, they automatically assume that footage has been added. This was a case in which they snipped the movie a bit and made it even better IMO.

Plus, it's really amazing how beautiful Frances McDormand was in this movie.  Always a stupendous actress, a lot of people forget how much sex appeal she radiated in Blood Simple.

"There is no way out of here. It'll be dark soon. There is no way out of here."
Mofo Rising
Global Moderator

My cat can eat a whole watermelon!

« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2007, 11:43:29 PM »

^cheers, Ill look out for the Naked Man (so to speak).

@ Mofo I bought Millers Crossing on your reccomendation and watched it and its excellent, so good looking out for that.

Glad you enjoyed it.

Every dead body that is not exterminated becomes one of them. It gets up and kills. The people it kills, get up and kill.
HarlotBug3
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2007, 06:25:10 PM »

For a first attempt in the 80s it was damn good.

I'm eager for another one from them that isn't easy-sell chuckles for the average moviegoer. (Those have been funny, but I don't expect 'funny' from them, I expect genius.)

"Do you have something against droppings?" "Well, no, I..." "Sure, everyone says that till they step in it."
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  Blood Simple (1983) « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.