Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 19, 2024, 12:46:54 AM
712922 Posts in 53040 Topics by 7722 Members
Latest Member: GenevaBarr
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  The War Game (1965) « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: The War Game (1965)  (Read 6044 times)
Scott
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

Hey, I'm in the situation room ! ! !

« on: June 10, 2007, 09:22:04 PM »

THE WAR GAME (1965) - Wow, just found the predecessor to THREADS (1984). Produced by the BBC this British Nuclear Holocaust film is realistic especially all the detail to the event and the aftermath. It has one reference about loving the bomb much like DR. STRANGELOVE (1964). This film gets more disturbing after the first 15 minutes. You can watch the whole film on Youtube. On the first part of 5 the audio is out of sync, but you won't mind.

Thumbup Thumbup (8 out of 10 Stars) This is a chilling to say the least. Definately check this out.

[youtube=425,350]http://youtube.com/watch?v=Trc1lJAH0lA&mode=related&search=

CLIP 5 OF 5
« Last Edit: June 11, 2007, 03:02:54 PM by Scott » Logged

Trevor
Uncle Zombie and Eminent Shitologist
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2007, 02:57:16 AM »

Buggedout Hi Scott, thanks for this.

I remember seeing this at college in the 1980's and it was one of the most riveting film viewing experiences of my life. If my memory serves me, it was banned for TV transmission by the BBC and went on to win an Academy Award.

There is a South African version of this entitled The Peace Game, dealing with the wildlife in the Kruger National Park, which won many overseas awards.

I know I can make it on my own if I try, but I'm searching for the Great Heart
To stand me by, underneath the African sky
A Great Heart to stand me by.
Scott

« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2007, 03:01:25 PM »

I discovered this one Trevor on a mis-labelled DVD. So I looked up the title and realizing that this is suppose to be a great film I did a search on Youtube and found it. Great film ! ! !

soylentgreen
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2007, 03:46:32 PM »

Agreed...it is a fantastic film(in the sense that a film about the horror of nuclear war can be, of course).

It's got a nasty kind of immediacy(along the lines of THREADS) thanks to it's tight budget and guerilla film making style.  It reminds me of another great Brit film, IT HAPPENED HERE, a fauxdocumentary about Britain under a German occupation.  Austere and biting, these are the kinds of films that should be made much more often than they ever have been.

If you liked THE WAR GAME, and are a fan of nuke films (and if you can find it) check out LADYBUG, LADYBUG from 1963.  I'm pretty tough on American-made films in this genre as they tend to be a little 'soft', but this one stands up to both the test of time and sharing the stage with THE WAR GAME and THREADS.  I would elaborate on the plot a little, but if you do get a chance to see it, it's worth coming to it very fresh.

ps....man, I'm shamelessly plugging now...I can't even talk about nuke films without giving a recommendation of BY DAWN'S EARLY LIGHT.  It's kind of post-cold war take on FAIL-SAFE.  A look at one tense night, as the American command and control structure buckles under the dueling strains of lucid thinking underlings and hawkish successors in the midst of an escalating catalytic nuclear war.  Great character actors, tight budget, leans on dialogue to convey the tension....really great stuff.  A running argument aboard the command E-4 plane between Rip Torn(the hawkish general, natch!) and Jeffery DeMunn(the clear-thinking admiral) is a stunning testament to two great stage actors.  An absolute personal favorite from back when HBO made some damn good telefilms. 

That's my driver's license picture....I hate that picture!"
Scott

« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2007, 09:43:18 PM »

Soylentgreen, thanks for the two recommendations in LADYBUG, LADYBUG and  BY DAWNS EARLY LIGHT. I've never heard of them and will keep a look out for them.

The Burgomaster
Aggravating People Worldwide Since 1964

« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2007, 05:39:12 AM »

I also saw this in college and thought it was great.  It is also one of the Mill Creek movies I haven't watched yet.

"Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me either. Just pretty much leave me the hell alone."
Scott

« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2007, 10:06:02 AM »

Burgomaster, my Mills Creek: Nightmare Worlds set also has it on one of the slips, but it's not actually on the DVD. Instead of THE WAR GAMES it has DISSAPPEARCE OF FLIGHT 412. Somekind of misprint on the sleeve. Let me know it yours is different.

Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  The War Game (1965) « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.