Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 18, 2024, 09:53:47 PM
712916 Posts in 53040 Topics by 7722 Members
Latest Member: GenevaBarr
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  PHANTASM SUCKS. « previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6
Author Topic: PHANTASM SUCKS.  (Read 39939 times)
Menard
« Reply #30 on: July 03, 2007, 07:42:23 PM »

The title of this thread should've been "1st Phantasm classic, 2nd good, 3rd and 4th films suck".

Obviously you have not been reading this thread as the initial complaint was about those who keep calling this movie a classic, misleading someone into watching it for the first time and being in for major league disappointment, as they were expecting something great and obviously did not find it in this overrated b-movie.

Surely Torgo has the right to disagree.  I certainly do myself.

Anybody has the right to disagree and/or state a contrary opinion (no matter how wrong it is  TongueOut).

Apparently there are now two contributors to this thread who have not bothered to read what has come before; so I am not really certain with what you are agreeing or disagreeing.

The comment 'The title of this thread should've been "1st Phantasm classic, 2nd good, 3rd and 4th films suck".' rather ignores that the reason this thread exists in the first place is due to people calling Phantasm a classic, thusly blindly leading others to watch it with overexpectancy and come away disappointed.

It is understandable, though, why someone could feel so strongly that this is a great movie:

• Hey, it was the 70s
  • They could have been giving themselves a handjob at the time and just remembered getting off on this movie
  • They could have a thing for tall men
  • At one point in their life, they had a fantasy that involved a prematurely balding ice-cream man; this fulfills that fantasy
  • They had just seen Zardoz prior to this movie; comparatively, any other movie would seem like a classic after that
  • This is your brain on drugs

There are any number of other perfectly good reasons why someone would have considered Phantasm to be a classic; feel free to add your own.

It is unfortunate to have Torgo's comment brought up again. Torgo made another post in which he brings up a good comparison of how people can react differently to films. I don't know why he removed the post, but it was well stated.

Feel free, Fishasaurus, to state your opinion in any way and anywhere you like.

My reputation not only precedes me, it is absolutely true and hangs around like a bad stench long after I am gone. TongueOut

« Last Edit: July 04, 2007, 06:48:30 AM by Menard » Logged
Jordan
B-Movie Site Webmaster
Bad Movie Lover

Thunderball Fists?! I can have such a thing?!

« Reply #31 on: July 04, 2007, 12:35:51 PM »

I myself was not a "Phantasm" fan until I saw 2 and 3. The first one has since grown on me and I enjoy watching it from time to time, but I can see why KYGOTC got a bit uppity about the movie. And for the record, I don't think they can make this series make sense at this point. The Phantasm movies have always wandered in a wonderful mind-f*cked world where nothing is as it seems. It's like watching someone's really messed up nightmare; you just don't know what's real, or what can possibly happen next. Then they ruined things by trying to explain the Tall Man's origins in "Phantasm OblIVion." If you didn't like it man, don't feel like an outsider, but do give it a second or third chance now that you know what to expect. You may just begin to like it...... BOOOOOOOOOOOOOYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY!  TeddyR

-----
The Vault Master
Caretaker of The B-Movie Film Vault
-----
Kroogur
Dedicated Viewer

« Reply #32 on: July 07, 2007, 04:32:00 PM »

why is Phantasm great? three words Big Block Mopar..... TeddyR

But for the most part i liked 1,2,3  i found the story a little disjointed but for me it fit with the movie, the Tall Man is a great villian, the jawas are suitably creepy, the spheres are a nice touch all in all it's not to bad.

I can appreciate that these films wont appeal to everybody
Jim H
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #33 on: July 08, 2007, 11:40:43 AM »

I've always found the original to be quite creepy at times, and has one of the most effective atmospheres of any horror film I've seen.  I don't know if I'd call it one of the best in the genre, but I'd say the film entertained me and even creeped me out the first couple times I watched it. 

BTW, I think the sequels, even if they are a bit more coherent, are awful.
DodgingGrunge
Bad Movie Lover

Consistency is the hobgoblin of small minds.

« Reply #34 on: July 08, 2007, 07:22:37 PM »

The Phantasm movies are fun.  That's why I enjoy them.  The gravity-squished slaves remind me of lil' Templar ewoks.  I have never found the films to be particularly scary, but then again, most horror films aren't.  I think the "classic" status is in large part due to the originality of the series, not its quality.

KYGOTC:  Unfortunately, being burned by hype or clever box art is part and parcel with being a movie-obsessed freak.  Typically, a re-re-release ultra-mega edition DVD is a good indication of a film's importance, so I think you acted as any of us would.  However, you must always remember that Anchor Bay also released 3 of the 4 Ilsa movies in a collector's edition box set.  TeddyR  If you saved your receipt, you may be able to return it by running a simple con:  Develop a gentle Arkansas accent á la Bill Clinton, go to the customer service department, and slowly explain that the video is broken.  "The top and bottom of the picture is black.  It doesn't fit on my TV."  Play up the pity factor and you may get store credit.  Use that credit to buy Zardoz, as Menard has repeatedly hyped.  Sean Connery running around in a Tarzan costume?  You can't lose!

++josh;
Snivelly
Bad Movie Lover

....a heady mix of ignorance and enthusiasm.

« Reply #35 on: July 08, 2007, 08:39:14 PM »

The Phantasm movies are fun.  That's why I enjoy them.  The gravity-squished slaves remind me of lil' Templar ewoks.  I have never found the films to be particularly scary, but then again, most horror films aren't.  I think the "classic" status is in large part due to the originality of the series, not its quality.

Bingo!  Karma for you.   Smile

If at first you don't succeed, skydiving isn't the sport for you.
DodgingGrunge
Bad Movie Lover

Consistency is the hobgoblin of small minds.

« Reply #36 on: July 08, 2007, 11:08:11 PM »

Bingo!  Karma for you.   Smile

They remind you of lil' Templar ewoks too, huh?  Drink  Haha.

++josh;
Doc Daneeka
The Game is Finished?

It's neVer over!

« Reply #37 on: July 09, 2007, 09:29:45 AM »

Then they ruined things by trying to explain the Tall Man's origins in "Phantasm OblIVion."
One thing I like about Phantasm is it gives you a reason to keep watching the sequels, instead of like the Friday the 134th sequels that rehash the general principle of the films whilst making only minor changes to the story.

https://www.youtube.com/user/silverspherechannel
For the latest on the fifth installment in Don Coscarelli's Phantasm saga.
Menard
« Reply #38 on: July 09, 2007, 10:19:05 AM »

Then they ruined things by trying to explain the Tall Man's origins in "Phantasm OblIVion."
One thing I like about Phantasm is it gives you a reason to keep watching the sequels, instead of like the Friday the 134th sequels that rehash the general principle of the films whilst making only minor changes to the story.

Jason Rules!!! TeddyR
AnubisVonMojo
B-Movie Site Webmaster

Jesus H. Chelios!

« Reply #39 on: July 09, 2007, 11:02:07 AM »

Yes, but it's those minor additions to the overall story that give the Friday the 13th series such a rich tapestry (yeah, a little overdramatic, I know TongueOut) without over complicating things so as to scare away otherwise casual viewers... with the exception of Jason X, which was probably the most ambitious attempt at stirring things up and, as such, was deemed as a complete failure to so many of the series' fans. The Phantasm movies, as it's been said, are primarilly meant to be a mind phuck that plays with your head and changes things around to see how much viewers can put up with, alienating some while urging other to keep watching out of curiosity for what the next sequel will show us. The F13 movies are just violence against sexy teens with a villain whose motivations are simple and whose victims are a rotating door or social stereotypes that are better off dead anyway... now there's an idea: Jason Vs. the League of Homicidal Paperboys! "TWO DOLLARS VOORHEES! TWO DOLLARS!"

"Don't make me stain my last clean shirt with the back of your head." - Shatter Dead
"A grizzly bear with a chainsaw. Now THERE's a killing machine!" - The Simpsons
"I've always wanted to make love to an angry welder." - Jaws: the Revenge
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

"Charlie,we're in HELL!"-"yeah,ain't it groovy?!"

« Reply #40 on: July 09, 2007, 07:05:31 PM »

Now THERE is a series I absouloutly cannot stand! The first 3 Fridays were ok,liked Goes to Hell....otherwise the Jason fliks are a waste of film stock. IMHO...of course!

"Supernatural?...perhaps. Baloney?...Perhaps not!" Bela Lugosi-the BLACK CAT (1934)
Interviewer-"Does Dracula ever end for you?
Lugosi-"No. Dracula-never ends."

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
https://www.tumblr.com/ronmerchant
Allhallowsday
B-Movie Kraken

Either he's dead or my watch has stopped!

« Reply #41 on: July 09, 2007, 08:45:41 PM »

Now THERE is a series I absouloutly cannot stand! The first 3 Fridays were ok,liked Goes to Hell....otherwise the Jason fliks are a waste of film stock. IMHO...of course!
Agree; the first one is still kind of fun, but I think they descend into a downward spiral.  Interestingly, the first one remains the most intriguing and is the least "Jason" focused. 

Yes, but it's those minor additions to the overall story that give the Friday the 13th series such a rich tapestry (yeah, a little overdramatic, I know TongueOut)
It's funny how film fans talk a lot about sequels to FRIDAY THE 13TH and TEXAS CHAINSAW MASSACRE and PSYCHO and PHANTASM . . . in our sequel-happy world, none of these films were originally conceived with sequels in mind, but cable TV, VHS in the 80s and now DVD rental has changed all that!
« Last Edit: July 09, 2007, 11:43:22 PM by Allhallowsday » Logged

If you want to view paradise . . . simply look around and view it!
Menard
« Reply #42 on: July 10, 2007, 08:26:59 PM »

Jason Rocks!!! TeddyR
Torgo

« Reply #43 on: July 10, 2007, 08:54:41 PM »

I had deleted my prior post as I felt that I could state a bit better what I was trying to get across the 1st time.  Sorry for the length on this one.   Wink

Anyway, I was having a discussion with a friend of mine today about the band Grand Funk Railroad.  He absolutely loves them while I think that they're one of the worst bands of all time.

But through our discussion, I came up with an opinion that he liked Grand Funk Railroad more due to the fact that they're viewed as "classic" rock rather than making up his own mind about them with a clear and objective mind. He also hates the fact that I can't stand Bad Company as well.  I just happen to think that they are an awful band, but yet again, I can understand how someone would like them a whole lot.

The same thing goes with films.  I've found that there are some people who can't bring themselves to throw criticism towards a film that is deemed classic.  While someone who might dislike a "classic" film may be looked upon with disdain by a lot of movie fans because "they must be morons to not like *insert name of classic film here*".

As I stated in my previous post, I happen to think that the Charlton Heston version of Ben Hur (there was silent version prior to that) is one of the most woefully overrated films of all time.  It was recommended to me years ago when I was really getting into films as a "classic" film.  When I told my friend that I didn't like it and couldn't figure out why he spoke so highly of it, I then realized that he thought it was a classic film because he had been told to think that way by so many people that he didn't want to disappoint them by stating otherwise. 

I've also met people who genuinely like Ben Hur and don't care if it's viewed as a classic or not.

That's how I am with the 1st Phantasm.  I think that it's a classic and I really like the movie.  But I didn't automatically like the movie just because I was told that I had to in terms of being a true horror fan.  I liked it simply because I think it's a really cool film.   

I don't think lowly of someone who says that they didn't like Phantasm since it's regarded as a horror "classic".  But I do hate it when defenders of a movie deemed classic attack someone who doesn't like it.  I see that on Rotten Tomatoes so much that I hardly frequent their message boards anymore.

Another example is that I think that Monty Python & the Holy Grail is the greatest comedy of all time. One of my ex-girlfriends literally sat through the entire movie stonefaced and didn't find it funny at all.  While I couldn't understand how she didn't like it, she explained in a very thoughtful manner why she didn't like it.  It made sense to me why she hated it and I didn't question it.

(She also hated Citizen Kane as well.)

I just chalk it up to individual preference.

I hope that I made some kind of sense.   TeddyR

"There is no way out of here. It'll be dark soon. There is no way out of here."
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

"Charlie,we're in HELL!"-"yeah,ain't it groovy?!"

« Reply #44 on: July 10, 2007, 09:02:44 PM »

Jason Rocks!!! TeddyR

coff,coff,arehmmm nohedonthesucks cofff...COUGH!...'scuse me...sorry...(   TongueOut  )

"Supernatural?...perhaps. Baloney?...Perhaps not!" Bela Lugosi-the BLACK CAT (1934)
Interviewer-"Does Dracula ever end for you?
Lugosi-"No. Dracula-never ends."

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
https://www.tumblr.com/ronmerchant
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  PHANTASM SUCKS. « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.