Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 19, 2024, 04:16:09 AM
712925 Posts in 53040 Topics by 7722 Members
Latest Member: GenevaBarr
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  PHANTASM SUCKS. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6
Author Topic: PHANTASM SUCKS.  (Read 39965 times)
Javakoala
« Reply #60 on: August 10, 2013, 12:05:21 PM »

I clearly do not know what makes a good horror movie. I never would have guessed PUMPKINHEAD 2 was a better horror movie than the original PHANTASM. Heck, I didn't even know there was an objective standard you could use to rank horror movies! It's nice to learn new things.

Sic 'em, boy!

And as Chainsaw Midget says, most of the films on that list aren't nearly as good as PHANTASM.

Personally, I love PHANTASM, but not the sequels. The original is a great fever-dream of a young boy dealing with so much loss in his life (family and emotional grounding) that he launches himself into a delusional world full of horrors threatening the things he has lost, but in his dream world, he stands against these threats.

The sequels just cheapened what could have been a wonderful one-shot. But, hey, I'm not the creator, so maybe he really DID have a plan with all those half-assed, boring sequels.
HappyGilmore
B-Movie Kraken

I know Quack-Fu.

« Reply #61 on: August 10, 2013, 02:52:17 PM »

Haven't yet seen Phantasm.

"The path to Heaven runs through miles of clouded Hell."

Don’t get too close, it’s dark inside.
It’s where my demons hide, it’s where my demons hide.
retrorussell
In the town of Valentine Bluffs, there are many ways to die. Take your pick.
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

Hanniger! I'll be waiting in HELL for you!

« Reply #62 on: August 10, 2013, 02:53:56 PM »

Phantasm definitely has its faults that I couldn't overlook if I wanted to.. actually, the movie is a bit of a mess.  I remember seeing it back in the day and being kinda creeped out, but nowadays it's really not too effective, just weird.  But there are definitely some good ideas in place, and they just weren't terribly well put together.  In the right hands (and with a few celebrities, like perhaps CHRISTOPHER LLOYD as the Tall Man) a remake could be very entertaining!

"O the legend they say, on a Valentine's Day, is a curse that'll live on and on.."
skuts
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #63 on: August 15, 2013, 11:41:13 AM »

I dont think ive ever been so misslead in my whole life. Before I bought it and watched it today, I had heard nothing but GOOD thingS about this movie. Isnt this supposed to be a classic of its genre or something? Guys, its........BORING. With a NON-EXISTANT PLOT. I think I'd be more entertained watching mud dry!

So in conclusion, PHUCK PHANTASM. This one gets a skull. I want my 17 bucks back.

I don't get it. Everybody raves about this pointless POS.

Babies taste best.
Chainsawmidget
« Reply #64 on: August 15, 2013, 01:39:24 PM »

Phantasm is not a logical movie.  I think that's what throws people off.

Horrible things are happening and they don't always make sense, but that doesn't mean they aren't just as deadly.  It capitalized on a fear of the unknown.  You get just enough hints to suggest what's going on, but never enough to explain anything. 

It's a movie done in the style of a nightmare. 
skuts
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #65 on: August 16, 2013, 02:25:07 PM »

It's a movie done in the style of a nightmare. 

That can work for a competent director like David Lynch, but for Coscarelli(sp) it's just an excuse for poor filmmaking.

Babies taste best.
indianasmith
Archeologist, Theologian, Elder Scrolls Addict, and a
B-Movie Kraken

A good bad movie is like popcorn for the soul!

« Reply #66 on: August 16, 2013, 03:33:48 PM »

I personally liked it quite a bit, although I will admit it has not aged well.

"I shall smite you in the nostrils with a rod of iron, and wax your spleen with Efferdent!!"
Cthulhu

« Reply #67 on: August 17, 2013, 01:10:54 PM »

Is Phantasm 2 any better?
Javakoala
« Reply #68 on: August 17, 2013, 03:17:32 PM »

I didn't think so, but it has a lot of fans. It's more of the same, but with a different Mike. The story is slightly more linear, but every one of the movies has basically the same ending.
Skull
« Reply #69 on: August 17, 2013, 10:39:26 PM »

Phantasm is not a logical movie.  I think that's what throws people off.

hehe that's somewhat true. Phantasm is a *concept horror film (it's similar to Beyond, Gates of Hell, Inferno, Suspiria).

* Sorry I believe the term is called concept horror film or maybe Absolute Horror Film.  The intent is to have the story loaded with scary images more then the plot.

I love the story for what it is and that the nightmare effects predates Nightmare on Elm Street :)
retrorussell
In the town of Valentine Bluffs, there are many ways to die. Take your pick.

Hanniger! I'll be waiting in HELL for you!

« Reply #70 on: August 17, 2013, 11:07:59 PM »

I think so.  The increased budget really helps IMO.  I would recommend checking it out.

"O the legend they say, on a Valentine's Day, is a curse that'll live on and on.."
FatFreddysCat
Movies, Metal, Beer!

« Reply #71 on: August 18, 2013, 10:02:14 AM »

Way to bump an aged thread!

For the record, I haven't seen Phantasm in years 'n' years but even when I did back in the day, I remember wondering what all the whoop de doo was about. I've often thought about re-visiting it all these years later but haven't gotten round to it yet.

This discussion has got me interested in seeing "Phantasm" again after a quarter century, so I just reserved it (and "II") via the public library's web site. They have to have it shipped in from another town so I should have 'em by the end of the week.

....and if it turns out that I hate "Phantasm" after this re-watch, I'm blaming you guys!  TeddyR

Hey, HEY, kids! Check out my way-cool Music and Movie Review blog on HubPages!
http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

Click on that globe for 366 Weird Movies

« Reply #72 on: August 19, 2013, 03:11:26 PM »

By complete coincidence, a writer just submitted a thoughtful essay on PHANTASM to my site. I doubt it will change any haters minds but it suggests a different, non-linear way to think about the movie. http://366weirdmovies.com/phantasm-a-psychogeography/

I'll take you places the hand of man has not yet set foot...
Javakoala
« Reply #73 on: August 19, 2013, 05:44:50 PM »

By complete coincidence, a writer just submitted a thoughtful essay on PHANTASM to my site. I doubt it will change any haters minds but it suggests a different, non-linear way to think about the movie. http://366weirdmovies.com/phantasm-a-psychogeography/

A very interesting take on the film.

Frankly, I just put my brain in a pickle jar and enjoy the movie for being weird, creepy and funny, all at the same time.
FatFreddysCat
Movies, Metal, Beer!

« Reply #74 on: August 26, 2013, 07:17:02 AM »

This discussion has got me interested in seeing "Phantasm" again after a quarter century, so I just reserved it (and "II") via the public library's web site. They have to have it shipped in from another town so I should have 'em by the end of the week.

....and if it turns out that I hate "Phantasm" after this re-watch, I'm blaming you guys!  TeddyR

So I re-visited "Phantasm" last night for the first time in dog years. Ehhhh... it was OK I guess. Didn't hate it, but didn't love it either. It didn't make a lick of sense but at least it wasn't boring.
I'm going to watch "II" tonight and if things don't improve in that one I won't be bothering to track down "III" and "IV," that's for sure.

Hey, HEY, kids! Check out my way-cool Music and Movie Review blog on HubPages!
http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  PHANTASM SUCKS. « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.